Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

groovdudeyo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 16, 2008
is this thing any good my grandpa just got it from his old office and its never been opened its missing the power cord but it looks like i could use a different one that fits is this safe? how long does it take to install all the stuff it looks like it has TWENTY MILLION DISKS. thanks

groovdudeyo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 16, 2008
Okay maybe I should be a little more clear I want to know if I have to buy specific power cord or can I just use one that fits. It appears that it uses the same power cord that most pcs use (this is my first mac). Also is this gonna be a really suckish computer by todays standards I dont have the power cord so of course I cant use it yet. It is the 2003 model I think and costed $10000 at the time so im hoping its pretty pimped out still. And if I were to try to sell it how much could I get (range). I might say its got a ghost attached or something:p:p

SmurfBoxMasta

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I'm only really here at night.
A standard peecee power cord will work. Once you get it booted up, look for the little apple in the top left corner of the screen and click on "about this mac". There you can get some basic specs on the machine such as cpu, ram and OS version......

then click on the "more info" button, which will open the System Profiler and there you can get detailed info on all system components, hardware ect.......

then post back with the details and we can tell you whazzuppppwitdamachine :eek:

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
Yes you can use any cord that fits. The ones from Apple look really cool though.

We could better appraise your PM if you booted it up (it has all those discs installed).

Follow the setup instructions and log in.

Then click on the Apple icon (that's the Apple Menu) and click "About this Mac".

Tell us what it says.

Hope I can help!

groovdudeyo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 16, 2008
well since it should be a couple hours before i can boot it up just tell me are power mac g4s ever suckish? also can it run leopard or whatever?

SmurfBoxMasta

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I'm only really here at night.
If it is indeed a 2003 model, then it should be an early Mirrored Drive Door (MDD) model (there were several released that year) any of which are perfectly capable of running leopard, if it has sufficient ram, hdd space, and video card...........

Depending on what you wanna use it for, it will NOT be suckish at all :p

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
The Power Mac G4 will work super well. Before I got my mac mini, I was looking for a dual 1 GHz G4. That'll run Leopard just fine.

They're some of the best looking computers ever too.

groovdudeyo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 16, 2008
The Power Mac G4 will work super well. Before I got my mac mini, I was looking for a dual 1 GHz G4. That'll run Leopard just fine.

They're some of the best looking computers ever too.

It does look pretty cool and i guess i must have the 2002 model then cuz no mirror door thingy.

kindablue09

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2009
Only downside is that it cannot run certain games that require intel (if thats what you planned on pimpin it out for)

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
Only downside is that it cannot run certain games that require intel (if thats what you planned on pimpin it out for)

Other than that, there's really nothing you can't do on a G4. It is amazing how the Apple hardware lasts so much longer then PC hardware.

It holds its value much longer as well. I've got one of the original iMacs and I wonder what that will be worth in 10 years...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.