Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
Now that iTunes is 100% DRM free, how many tracks do you have left with DRM? To check you can make a smart playlist similar to image attached below.

I have 19 tracks still protected this morning. I mainly only buy singles and EP's that don't make it to the store. So I'm probably on the low end.

Attachments

• Protected.jpg
    Protected.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 79

GottaLoveApple4

macrumors member
May 11, 2008
35 left....

I have 35, but all of them are iTunes Plus in the store. I think the reason is because they are mostly singles that are not recognized for updating when the album comes out and the singles are removed/added to the album. So they better get it straightened out because I'm not repaying for them, just need to upgrade.:(

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH

The weird thing, is, 90% of them are available in the iTMS DRM free, but aren't being offered to upgrade. And one of them should have upgraded when I bought the album, because the other singles from the album upgraded to Plus when I bought the album (The Lonely Island - Incredibad).

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome

Mostly complete albums, and it seems most of the albums are no longer available. Easiest way for the store to go 100% iTunes Plus. :rolleyes:

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
At least 329. Some of them have disappeared from iTunes completely, whereas others are available for purchase DRM-free but I haven't been offered an upgrade. I'm going to send Apple an email later and ask what the deal is.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
I have almost 1135.

The complete Depeche Mode
The Complete U2.

iTunes no longer offers these and so they can not be upgraded.

I also bought the complete Bob Dylan and that finally became upgradeable last week.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
I have no protected songs whatsoever. Might be because I rip the CDs that I own rather than download them from the iTunes store :)

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
Just one, but I'm probably going to end up deleting it. It was a free single of the week a year or so ago and I still have never listened it.

adge-uk

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2007
856!!

I was hoping over time they would be done, but instead they seem to have removed all the songs from the store!

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
I have no protected songs whatsoever. Might be because I rip the CDs that I own rather than download them from the iTunes store :)

This may come as a surprise, but I suspect that a lot of people who buy from the iTunes store, like myself, also rip the CDs we own.

The iTunes store carries some music that is otherwise rare or very hard to find, and these, unfortunately, are the albums that now seem to have disappeared completely.

The people who care about getting higher bit rate music from the iTunes store are probably those who would also prefer CD quality originals. Unfortunately, it isn't always possible to find those CDs. Unless you're really into Lady GaGa...

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK

I've just upgraded 3 tonight which leaves 9. One of the ones I upgraded I only bought last month too!

EDIT: I just had a look and, like Nermal, some of them have been upgraded in the iTunes Store but I haven't been offered an upgrade.

Spades

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2003
Not counting free tracks which can't be upgraded, duplicates left because iTunes somehow failed to recognize they were the same song, and the completely wrong versions of songs that it gave me (the album of the iTunes Plus versions don't even have the same name as the old album :confused:), I still have about 100 protected files left.

Edit: Exact totals are 77 songs that have been yanked from the store and 17 that I can't upgrade even though they are in the store. Of those 17, 3 songs come from albums where I have upgraded other songs from the same album. :confused:

macfanboy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
one album

one album because its not showing up in the upgrade box?

is that a bug for me? or is that widespread

phairphan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
Reject Beach

Most are the free singles which will never update, but over 100 are purchased music videos. I haven't looked for all of them to see if they are offered in plus and just aren't updating or if they've been pulled from the store. Have a feeling I'll just get irritated if I do.

I'm not surprised that there are this many left. iTMS has had library management problems for years. I would frequently find multiple entries for the same video or find that album names (usually for the iTunes exclusive offerings like Originals and Live From) would change over time (thus rendering "complete your album" useless). If they bothered to clean up all of the duplicates prior to converting to + (which they did for the few examples I checked months ago) it seems to be a bit of crap shoot as to whether you were lucky enough to have downloaded the "right" file originally.

Wolffie

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2008
How can I limit to music only?
I have 997, but that includes music videos, TV episodes, and movies.

mikes63737

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
36. 14 of them were from single albums.

This is kind of annoying - all of them are available as iTunes Plus too!

...and a couple hundred tv shows / videos too... but that's not changing anytime soon :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.