Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hogweed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
I've done a search, but couldn't find how to do this, sorry. I want to wipe a MacBook Air completely and install from scratch using the original restore disks. Trouble is... yes, there’s no optical drive. Can I just attach a USB DVD drive (from a PC, not a Mac), hold down C when booting, and proceed as with (say) a normal MacBook?

Thanks as always...

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
If you have a USB DVD drive that works, just connect that and insert the disc. The DVD will show up on your desktop, click it, and install Mac OS X. It'll ask you to reboot, and then follow the instructions based on what you want to do.

Matek

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
Yup, the external optical drive should probably work. Other options are Remote Disc or installing OS X from an external hard drive, if you have one.

hogweed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
If you have a USB DVD drive that works, just connect that and insert the disc. The DVD will show up on your desktop, click it, and install Mac OS X. It'll ask you to reboot, and then follow the instructions based on what you want to do.

Thanks all - I do the "Disk Utilities" - Erase option first. Can I still do that if I start from the desktop? I usually boot off the DVD...

The Mook

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2009
Boston, MA
you kdont need to do the dick utilities erase option when you boot from dvd and are selecting options to install there is a button on the lower left i think its called options click that and choose the erase and install option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.