Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mmoin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2001
Hey guys- I have a bunch (50+) of recordings of my band and I've ripped them all in iTunes to mp4 (aac) format. I no longer have the original cd's, but I really want to convert them to mp3 so I can post them on the band's website and whatnot. Is there some sort of utility where I can feed in all the songs in AAC and create mp3 files of all of them? Or perhaps some batch converter that would convert them all to WAV and then convert them all to mp3? Thanks much, Andrew

titaniumducky

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2003
mmoin said:
Hey guys- I have a bunch (50+) of recordings of my band and I've ripped them all in iTunes to mp4 (aac) format. I no longer have the original cd's, but I really want to convert them to mp3 so I can post them on the band's website and whatnot. Is there some sort of utility where I can feed in all the songs in AAC and create mp3 files of all of them? Or perhaps some batch converter that would convert them all to WAV and then convert them all to mp3? Thanks much, Andrew

Use iTunes, set your import preference to MP3 and then select them all. Now just choose "Convert to MP3" and your set!

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
You should be able to do this in iTunes -

A) Go to the Prefs, and click the "Importing" tab.

B) Set the Prefs to use the MP3 Encoder to import music, and select the bitrate and settings that you want to use.

C) Close the Prefs and go back to your iTunes library (Or playlist with the songs you want in it)

D) Select all the songs that you want (Shift click to select all the songs in between two songs)

E) Go to the 'Advanced' menu and hit 'Convert Selection to MP3'

iTunes will take its time converting, and then you will have both the MP3 version and AAC version in your library.

Cheers!

Edit:
Arghh! Beat me to it!

Skilz34

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2003
what if these mp4's are protected songs that you've bought from itunes? it won't allow me to convert to mp3

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
Skilz34 said:
what if these mp4's are protected songs that you've bought from itunes? it won't allow me to convert to mp3

The easiest way is to burn a CD (use a rewritable) and re-import the audio from the CD. Could be a little time consuming if you have a lot of these tracks!

It used to be that iMovie would do it for you pretty easily - if you dragged the song into the project, iMovie would convert it to unprotected AIFF, and then you could copy the file out of the iMovie project folder and import it into iTunes. This was actually easier than burning a CD. But I just tried it now, and it looks like they plugged that up in the latest version. Now it converts the song to a larger file that looks about the right size for AIFF, but it's still protected AAC. They must be using no compression or something, but keeping it protected. Too bad! :confused:

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
bankshot said:
The easiest way is to burn a CD (use a rewritable) and re-import the audio from the CD. Could be a little time consuming if you have a lot of these tracks!

It used to be that iMovie would do it for you pretty easily - if you dragged the song into the project, iMovie would convert it to unprotected AIFF, and then you could copy the file out of the iMovie project folder and import it into iTunes. This was actually easier than burning a CD. But I just tried it now, and it looks like they plugged that up in the latest version. Now it converts the song to a larger file that looks about the right size for AIFF, but it's still protected AAC. They must be using no compression or something, but keeping it protected. Too bad! :confused:

Still works for me. Playing Vertigo on an un - authorized computer right now. Used iMovie.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.