Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JimGoshorn

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2009
NY
I read that CS5 should be 64 bit, but where does it say that CS5 would ship around the time that Sow Leopard will ship?

Jim

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
I read that CS5 should be 64 bit, but where does it say that CS5 would ship around the time that Sow Leopard will ship?

Jim

Ah, I didn't realize that's what the question was. I'll leave that for the other poster then. I just upgraded to CS4 a couple of weeks ago. A whole new re-architected release showing up this year is not a prediction I would be inclined to make.

noushy

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2008
Detroit, MI
CS5 Rumors

This is a bit off topic, but many rumors have surfaced about CS5 for the mac. The key is that it will not be out before Snow Leopard (10.6) makes it debut. The goal is to offer much more native 64bit applications and resources. That will exceed the 4GB memory limit as well. It appears that CS4 uses only so much resources, even if more is available. As for specific dates, CS4 has been out for about a year. On Adobe's typical dev cycle it would be Q4 of this year or early 2010. The way Snow Leopard is going, I would not be surprised if it is next year.

http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2008/04/photoshop_lr_64.html

Peace,
Noushy

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
This is a bit off topic, but many rumors have surfaced about CS5 for the mac. The key is that it will not be out before Snow Leopard (10.6) makes it debut. The goal is to offer much more native 64bit applications and resources. That will exceed the 4GB memory limit as well. It appears that CS4 uses only so much resources, even if more is available. As for specific dates, CS4 has been out for about a year. On Adobe's typical dev cycle it would be Q4 of this year or early 2010. The way Snow Leopard is going, I would not be surprised if it is next year.

http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2008/04/photoshop_lr_64.html

Peace,
Noushy

CS4 was released about 5 months ago on October 15, 2008. And thanks for reposting the link I provided in a prior post that you apparently couldn't be bothered to read earlier.

noushy

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2008
Detroit, MI
Look no need for flaming

In all respect Cliff, this thread was not about CS5, but rather about speedtest on Photoshop. I was just being nice to help update some people. All of this is still speculations, as no one but Adobe probably knows when CS5 is every going to get released. The only real facts that were made was after Snow Leopard, because of the advances in 64bit (ie. most of the system resources will be ported to 64bit as well) and that is critical to its performance. Also the whole Carbon to Cocoa thing as well. Oh and if you want people to look at your links, post them properly so they link to the site. Most people will miss it the way you posted it, since it requires cutting and pasting instead of just clicking on it.

Peace,
Noushy

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
In all respect Cliff, this thread was not about CS5, but rather about speedtest on Photoshop. I was just being nice to help update some people. All of this is still speculations, as no one but Adobe probably knows when CS5 is every going to get released. The only real facts that were made was after Snow Leopard, because of the advances in 64bit (ie. most of the system resources will be ported to 64bit as well) and that is critical to its performance. Also the whole Carbon to Cocoa thing as well. Oh and if you want people to look at your links, post them properly so they link to the site. Most people will miss it the way you posted it, since it requires cutting and pasting instead of just clicking on it.

Peace,
Noushy

I wasn't flaming, just correcting your inaccurate statements. And both the links I posted work perfectly, so I have no idea what you're talking about in that regard.

noushy

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2008
Detroit, MI
Adobe CS4

Cliff, my fault in that I have been using early versions of CS4 for almost a year now. It seems officially it is out for about 6 months or so. Still the release of CS5 is up in the air. No one really knows if it is going to come out early or late, and in fact it is looking like more late than early. As for your links, you cannot click on them. They are blacked out, and not blue HTTP links. Not sure why yours did not work.

Peace,
Noushy

alumac

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2009
Down here in the more modest Macbook world, my 2.0 Ghz Aluminum Macbook (2 GB RAM) clocks at:

1 minutes 10 seconds

damaskmedia

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2009
Real World' Photoshop Benchmark - Speed Test Reload this Page

55.7 secs

Power Mac G5 Dual 2.7 with 7 GB Crucial Ram

(with firefox, mail open in the background)

RebootD

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
NW Indiana
Cliff, my fault in that I have been using early versions of CS4 for almost a year now. It seems officially it is out for about 6 months or so. Still the release of CS5 is up in the air. No one really knows if it is going to come out early or late, and in fact it is looking like more late than early. As for your links, you cannot click on them. They are blacked out, and not blue HTTP links. Not sure why yours did not work.

Peace,
Noushy

Adobe has said many times they release update every 18-24 months so CS5, if they follow their own schedule, earliest release would be around April 2010.

xEradx

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2009
I dont have photoshop for my new 2.26 mac pro. But I do have CS4 for my HP laptop. I tried to download the speedtest just to see the crazy slow time it should put up, but it looks like the one I downloaded was only for OSX. Where can I download the same test for PC?

AgencyDigital

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2009
NYC
MacPro "Nehalem"
2.66 Dual Quad
12GB RAM
Boot Drive: 640GB WD Caviar Blue
Skratch Disk: RAID 0 Seagate Barracuda (2x 750GB)
CS4

23 Seconds.

xEradx

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2009
Standardized benchmarking like this was discussed in the Establishing Standard Benchmarks thread, this however is a Photoshop specific test where as benchmarks discussed in that thread was for lots of different applications.

This speed test is in the form of an action and test image for photoshop and will perform a series of tests to determine how fast your system can perform them, the test must be done with the included image to insure uniformity.

This test has been tested by professional photographers, photoshop professionals and lowly retouch artists! and all are in agreement that this test represents a large amount of the people that use photoshop, although the action could obviously not cater for every element otherwise it would be far to complex for slower systems.

you can download the retouchartists.com speed test from Here

Thanks to MacRumors for being part of this test.

Edit

Please post system specs and software version detail in the thread (rather than "see in sig") so that people know what the system was even when you change your signature. Thanks.

I dont have photoshop for my new 2.26 mac pro. But I do have CS4 for my HP laptop. I tried to download the speedtest just to see the crazy slow time it should put up, but it looks like the one I downloaded was only for OSX. Where can I download the same test for PC?

jimgeb

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2009
Real World' Photoshop Benchmark - Speed Test

27 seconds using CS4 on a 2009 2.66 quad with 8gb with Samsung 1TB as scratch drive, PS RAM set at 100%, History states 1, cache level 4.

sneezymarble

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2008
What I'm seeing is that if Photoshop is your bread and butter you have absolutely no reason to move to a new machine if you're currently working on a last-gen machine.

xEradx

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2009
12 Seconds, but I'm running this on a Vista 64 bit @3.8Ghz.

where did you download the test that would work on windows. I want to do the test on my Vista 32bit laptop but the one I downloaded looks like it only work on osX

sneezymarble

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2008
where did you download the test that would work on windows. I want to do the test on my Vista 32bit laptop but the one I downloaded looks like it only work on osX

I'm pretty sure you can use the same files in Photoshop under Windows.

xEradx

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2009
1min 29sec
I did this just so you can see how much faster macs are.

HP dv6700 notebook pc, AMD Turion 64 X2 2.00 GHz, 3 GB ram, Vista 32-bit operating system, Photoshop CS4

ronanwonders

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2009
am i doing something wrong??

2.93 quad, 8gb ram, 1tb harddrive, ati card PS3.... 26 seconds, second run 21 seconds

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.