Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aaaaplay

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 20, 2008
Wodonga, Australia
Well I have picked up a powermac g3 from the local computer recyclers for free and the case isn't in perfect condition but does turn on the only problem is no video I've tested the hard drive in an imac and it has os 9 for some reason I cant get it to reset the vram and the speaker makes a wired fuzzing noise.
Can some one help :confused:

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
Could well be a bad video card. Take it out and re-seat it just in case the connection is poor. Replacement cards can be picked up very cheaply via eBay on occasion - I bought one a while back for around £5.

There's a possibility that there may be other problems, but the video card is the most likely.

raziel777

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2009
League City, Texas
Could also be faulty ram sticks. How much ram do you have? This happened to me one time. I had 4 X 256. Took them out one by one and rebooted. The second one I pulled was the wrong type of ram. After that it was fine.

aaaaplay

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 20, 2008
Wodonga, Australia
I have 4x 128mb and I have removed all the sticks rearaged them in defferent order and and done everything possable with the ram and i found out something when nothing is in slot number 1 it chimes and then beeps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.