Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcnugget

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2009
When I first heard that iTunes was going to release everything in iTunes Plus by THE END OF MARCH I was jumping with joy. Then came March 31st, a Tuesday...no updates; my upgrade list wasn't even elevated.

Then comes the day that iTunes decided to go 100% DRM-free. 2 days before the event I still had 52 songs in my upgrade library, and when the day came, it still remained the same. I was hoping I could upgrade a bunch of my DRM'd music videos but NOPE. iTunes decided not to touch the music videos but just jack up the prices of the songs and put them in Plus.

Another thing I noticed is the store isn't exactly 100% DRM-free. If you look in the Top 100 songs list, there's one song that is still DRM. Again, iTunes, get your facts straight.

I emailed Apple care center about this issue and they said they don't comment on "rumors".

Edit: The DRM song is from the Australian store (where I live), "Jimmy Recard" by "Drapht"

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Then comes the day that iTunes decided to go 100% DRM-free. 2 days before the event I still had 52 songs in my upgrade library, and when the day came, it still remained the same. I was hoping I could upgrade a bunch of my DRM'd music videos but NOPE. iTunes decided not to touch the music videos but just jack up the prices of the songs and put them in Plus.

Only the songs are DRM free, not the movies or videos...

EDIT for clarification: 100% of songs are DRM free, the announcement doesn't say 100% of music videos...

When I look at the Top 100 they're all iTune Plus...

mcnugget

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2009
sorry, that's why i edited my post.

i assumed that music videos were counted as well, since last time they plus'd their music the majority of the music videos went plus.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Maybe they're missed a couple. But it doesn't really scream "false advertising" at me...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.