Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Avi

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
Hello folks

I have about 2-3 movie files (.mp4) which when I try to play in Quicktime I get the "bad public movie atom was found in the movie" error.

So I cannot playback those movies on my Front Row .... its frustrating ... Is there any way to fix this?

I tried zipping up the file and unzipping it as suggested in other sites but that did not work.

I also tried using Tagger to edit the Metadata and re-saving the file, that did not work either.

Finally, I used AoA Mp4 Patch, which claims to fix such issue ... that failed too.

Btw, all of these files play perfectly well in VLC ... but I want to view them on Front Row ... any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Avi

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
After 2 day still no reply ;)

So after a lot of frustrating hours searching the web for a solution ... I decided to re-encode the video and see if it could be Compatible with Quicktime.

I am using Handbrake, I imported the video to Handbrake, I am saving it as a .M4V (so that it can be read in iTunes 'n Quicktime). As far as the Audio settings are concerned, I am selecting "Unknown AAC() " Option ... is that incorrect?

Coz I end up with a .M4V video that plays beautifully in Quicktime and iTunes but no Audio!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.