Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Giver '94

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
London
I don't understand. I guess it's just to make more $$$, but I would have thought that they'd make it free now that all songs are in the DRM-free format. :(:mad:

Cinematographer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2005
far away
That makes me just as angry as the fact that the major studios don't give away free BlueRay Discs of the movies I purchased on DVD. :mad::mad::mad:

I guess it's just to make more $$$. Isn't that shocking? :rolleyes:

Cinematographer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2005
far away
And it makes me just as angry as the fact that Apple didn't upgrade my iBook 3G to a MacBook Pro as soon as it came out. :mad::mad::mad:

How greedy of them. :rolleyes:

Mr. Giver '94

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
London
Wow sorry I'm not trying to sound entitled to free upgrades I just think it's odd that they keep advertising "Now 100% DRM free at no extra cost" while at the same time charging us more. Seems kind of counter-intuitive.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Wow sorry I'm not trying to sound entitled to free upgrades I just think it's odd that they keep advertising "Now 100% DRM free at no extra cost" while at the same time charging us more. Seems kind of counter-intuitive.

That doesn't imply they will go DRM free on prior purchases, just new purchases. Why does everyone want everything free?

USAGas

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2009
All About Business For Them

Business is Business, they want your money anyways they can get it.
Do you really think anything online will be free forever?
People give free give aways untill they have enough clients to pull the rug out from under, and then they charge,charge ,charge, that's how Ebay got rich, and many other internet web businesses.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
That doesn't imply they will go DRM free on prior purchases, just new purchases. Why does everyone want everything free?

The main reason is because it's the same songs we previously have for the same price. I still think the 30 percent is a little steep, but I've been paying it for a few albums. I honestly can't tell the difference in sound quality on my computer, in my car, or hooked up via digital cable to a sound system. If someone can tell me they can hear a difference somewhere, it'll make me feel so much better. :)

mcnugget

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2009
The main reason is because it's the same songs we previously have for the same price. I still think the 30 percent is a little steep, but I've been paying it for a few albums. I honestly can't tell the difference in sound quality on my computer, in my car, or hooked up via digital cable to a sound system. If someone can tell me they can hear a difference somewhere, it'll make me feel so much better. :)

it depends on how good your ears are or what type of audio producer you're listening to it through.

i've got a pair of sony in-ear fontopias and a pair of sennheiser hd201s. from what i can gather, i compared an mp3 at 224kbps to the regular itunes plus file. the bass is a lot sharper. i'm not an audiophile myself but it is a noticeable attribute when you really try to listen.

hope this helped.

adameels

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2008
Milton Keynes
The fact that you can upgrade to no DRM at all is a bonus. I was a little suprised when I found out that you could do this. However the classic burn to CD and rip from newly burned CD would be a 'free' option other than the cost of the discs and the possible loss of quality.

iObama

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
Why does everyone want to pay for everything?

Seriously.

Who doesn't want free stuff? Of course, I would be pissed if Apple offered me a free upgrade! I would never be able to forgive them.

Meatball

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2006
I can see why you would want a free upgrade to 'Plus' music, however the problem I have is people used to pay extra to get 'plus' music. If Apple were to upgrade your music free then it would only be fair to refund the people who paid extra for plus? Will it ever happen though? I think we all know the answer :D.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.