Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

detz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
I have them working...now what? ;-)

Maybe I will find a use for them in a future app but anything I start using notifications with guarantees that I have to have a server running for as long as people use the app.

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
I have them working...now what? ;-)

Maybe I will find a use for them in a future app but anything I start using notifications with guarantees that I have to have a server running for as long as people use the app.

I know what you mean. I'm not sure what I will actually use them for, it is nice to have them working though.

DaveP

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2005
They are very handy if it fits within your app, but most applications don't really have much use for notifications.

ooo

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2007
Agreed, I can't think of any ways to use them right now. Haha. That and in app store purchases.

jarruda

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2009
Notifications are great for... well, when you have things that you'd like to notify your users about. :p

For one example that is applicable to nearly every app, albeit indirectly, it can be used to notify users when you have released a new app. I don't mean an update to that app, but if you were to release a brand new app under the same name, you can use your existing user base to promote this new app.

If the face of your development efforts (i.e., "(Your Name) Studios") keeps a blog of news and going-ons, you could use push notifications to keep your user base up to date and interested in what you're working on.

Push notifications are indeed a very cool thing with a lot of applications if you think hard enough. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.