Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigjohnscots

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2009
My good lady is looking for an alternative to excel which is hopefully compatible with excel files.

Neither of us have used excel before so the easier to use the better as no doubt i will get the call if she gets stuck.

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
Excel is also available for Mac.

Alternatively, as the other posters mention, OpenOffice/NeoOffice and Numbers can read/write Excel files without problems

derekjd

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2006
My good lady is looking for an alternative to excel which is hopefully compatible with excel files.

Neither of us have used excel before so the easier to use the better as no doubt i will get the call if she gets stuck.

Open Office, free is always good!

MistaBungle

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2005
I find MS office to be too sluggish so I decided to give Numbers a try and am loving it. Learning more and more every time I use it.

I have used NeoOffice/OpenOffice but found that to be sluggish and unresponsive at times, which resulted in me deleting it.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
it really depends what you use it for. If she will only use it for simple calculation, simple chart, etc. Get anything free would be good enough. such as OpenOffice.

if She will eventually need to use more complicated functions. Im afraid there is probably no good alternative for excel.

SHADO

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2008
Beach
My vote goes to Numbers. But as people above me said, there's really not that much of a difference when it comes to speadsheet apps cuz they all look the same...

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
You can try Mariner Calc

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

Paul B

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
I find MS office to be too sluggish so I decided to give Numbers a try and am loving it. Learning more and more every time I use it.

I have used NeoOffice/OpenOffice but found that to be sluggish and unresponsive at times, which resulted in me deleting it.

How much faster is Numbers vs. NeoOffice/OpenOffice?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.