Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

HP's MediaSmart servers gained some attention at Macworld Expo 2009 for providing home server solutions for cross-platform environments including Windows, Mac and Linux. The MediaSmart EX485/EX487 servers were honored with a "Best of Show" award at the expo.

Electronista reports that HP is preparing to release a software update to the servers that enable add video streaming to mobile devices, as well as automatic video transcoding to provide mobile devices with smaller, lower-resolution video content.
The new video converter automatically transcodes non-protected video to H.264 format in two resolutions -- one for mobile devices and a higher resolution for home use. To avoid performance issues, the converter works in the background as a low-priority function. Video can be downloaded directly to a variety of mobile devices including the iPhone, iPod touch, Sony PSP and Microsoft Zune.
HP will also be releasing a free iPhone application via the App Store to enable access to a wide variety of content based on a user's home server. According to the report, the application will provide access to video, photos and music over Wi-Fi or 3G.

Article Link: HP to Add iPhone App and Video Transcoding to MediaSmart Servers

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
The question is: Why isn't Apple doing this with their server products?

We should have ready access to all our media through our iPhones.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
HP keeps making this product better. I highly recommend it. Apparently, the dual-core Celeron's in these servers are actually decent processors. Nice.

SirOmega

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2006
Las Vegas
Wow, now I really want an Ex485. I have my own custom built WHS box, but I cant do TM backup over wireless or stream movies (already a copy in H.264 at iPhone res) over wifi to my phone.

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
I guess

Apple does not seem to interested in storage solutions. You would think with the success of the iTunes Store they would also realize there is a need to store a large amount of content in such a manor that it's easy to access and plays well with other Apple products. I really hope Apple releases some sort of product that will address this.

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
Apple needs to release a home itunes server ASAP! Day one purchase for me.. :D:apple:

I agree 1000%. This has been needed for a few years. The home media server is more important than a tablet that is being rumored. An apple home media server would sell more than a tablet even though the latter would be sexier. I don't like the HP. You need windows to do a full installation of the software and apple would do a better job with support for iTunes. You have to also consider the thing is ugly and very un-apple.

BG-Mac

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2007
I agree 1000%. This has been needed for a few years. The home media server is more important than a tablet that is being rumored. An apple home media server would sell more than a tablet even though the latter would be sexier. I don't like the HP. You need windows to do a full installation of the software and apple would do a better job with support for iTunes. You have to also consider the thing is ugly and very un-apple.

I'm so close to picking up a Mac Mini and a Drobo. I've been holding out since the rumored Apple Home Server that was rumored to be released at Macworld.

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
Apple does not seem to interested in storage solutions. You would think with the success of the iTunes Store they would also realize there is a need to store a large amount of content in such a manor that it's easy to access and plays well with other Apple products. I really hope Apple releases some sort of product that will address this.

There have been rumors for a while that Apple is working on a new Apple TV/Media Server and even talking about streaming from iTunes as many times as you want so you don't have to store everything on your computer/iPhone etc.

Yes you are right all around.... BUT.... Did you ever stop to consider that the Tablet is going to be a companion product in joining your Apple TV and server as an ultimate entertainment center solution??? ;) Trust me they are working hard on BOTH and it is all meant to be together! One word with Apple, ECOSYSTEM!

BG-Mac

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2007
Yes you are right all around.... BUT.... Did you ever stop to consider that the Tablet is going to be a companion product in joining your Apple TV and server as an ultimate entertainment center solution??? ;) Trust me they are working hard on BOTH and it is all meant to be together! One word with Apple, ECOSYSTEM!

This is why I'm delaying my Drobo/Mac Mini purchase until at least WWDC. I know Apple has something up their sleeves. It just makes too much sense for them to release a home server/storage solution. With HD video downloads becoming more popular people are going to need more storage or their iTunes purchases are going to stop or slow down, which Apple does NOT want to see.

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
Me too

^^ Same reason I have not purchased a Drobo also. I just hope I don't have to wait another year. I'm not sure I can do that, I will run out of space with my current 2TB's of storage.

mikeinternet

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2006
Oaklnad, CA
I really need something like this. I just switched from a desktop to a portable and the external drive and multiple itunes libraries are a huge hassle.

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
This is why I'm delaying my Drobo/Mac Mini purchase until at least WWDC. I know Apple has something up their sleeves. It just makes too much sense for them to release a home server/storage solution. With HD video downloads becoming more popular people are going to need more storage or their iTunes purchases are going to stop or slow down, which Apple does NOT want to see.

I guarantee it is coming, but I dunno about WWDC. Probably this year but after WWDC!

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Yeah... HP is painful to deal with.....

The Mediasmart is turning out to be a pretty solid product offering, but it's still HP.... That company hasn't really gotten its act back together ever since the Compaq merger. I wind up randomly purchasing products of theirs, here and there (mostly for my workplace), and am almost universally disappointed.

They seem to be *really* good at building devices that offer an attractive number of features and options for the money - only to turn out to be unreliable and/or limited by poor software.

EG. Despite selling MILLIONS of HP OfficeJet 63x0 series "all in one" printers, everyone I know ends up with the same issues with them after 2 years or so of use. They start reporting paper jams when nothing is jammed at all, and resetting the unit lets you print one more job before it happens again. Furthermore, HP stubbornly refuses to release a Windows Server 2003 or 2007 driver for any of them, because "those are CONSUMER products, and we don't make SERVER drivers for our cheaper, consumer line of printers". Never-mind that screws over all the people trying to work from home over a VPN connection to a Windows Terminal Server session!

I'd MUCH rather own a media server product like this made by Apple!

DEVILMAYCRY99

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2009
HP keeps making this product better. I highly recommend it. Apparently, the dual-core Celeron's in these servers are actually decent processors. Nice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.