Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dkh587

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2009
I've searched and searched, and haven't found anything with my exact question or anything, so sorry if I missed it.

Well, my earphones that came with my classic that I got back in November are starting to sound like crap. I know from using my warranty before, that they'll exchange your earphones for free under warranty, so I go to the site, and go through the warranty support thing or whatever, where you enter your serial # and tell them what's wrong and what you're wanting fixed. So, I fill out everything, state what's wrong, and get to the service order, and it talks about the $29 no return penalty, which is fine, I will be sending in my headphones, and won't have to worry about being charged. I continue on and submit the order. Blindly and idiotically, I didn't read EVERYTHING, and I got charged $29 to my credit card. Is this correct? I thought the $29 was for if you didn't return the defective earphones? I'm confused and I feel like a dummy. It's late and I have ot be somewhere at 4AM, so take it easy on me! Any help is appreciated!:(

dkh587

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2009
I would just go to the Apple store. The $29 will be returned when you return the old ones.

I normally would for hardware issues with my iPod and Macbook, but it is an hour away and I can't justify that long of a trip for some headphones. As long as the $29 is refunded, that's fine. I was just a little confused, because I don't remember Apple charging the credit card the last time I used the warranty for headphone replacement.

applelvr22

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2008
Definitely call. Don't go to your Apple Store, I don't think they have access to the system to be able to refund your credit card.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
This is usually seen when using a debit card rather than a credit card.
True. Some banks will show a pre-auth as an actual charge when using a debit card. After a few days, it drops off (per the banks policy).

dkh587, any chance you used a debit card this time?

dkh587

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2009
You should call them. I have never been charged "in advance" for warranty returns...

According to 2 different Apple reps, that is what happened. It is a "hold" and once the defective headphones are returned, then it is removed.

This is usually seen when using a debit card rather than a credit card.

I used my Mastercard. A real one, not a debit mastercard.

True. Some banks will show a pre-auth as an actual charge when using a debit card. After a few days, it drops off (per the banks policy).

dkh587, any chance you used a debit card this time?

Mastercard.:cool:

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
The $29 is a hold, so they know you have the money. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.

lilkoolaidman

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2009
Hell, Colorado
If you get ur money back, just by a pair of Sennheiser CX300s don't bother with the free earbuds(which are $30 otherwise). <wait, that might be what the charge is see if they send you new earbuds, if not get the CX300s they're also $30 and far better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.