Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ben Kei

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2002
London UK
Hi, we have an iMac G5 running 10.4.11 which developed some nasty colour banding down the screen and have now plugged in an external display.

How can you turn off the iMac display so it only outputs through the external monitor?

Thanks,
Ben

iGrant

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2006
Ridgeway
Hi, we have an iMac G5 running 10.4.11 which developed some nasty colour banding down the screen and have now plugged in an external display.

How can you turn off the iMac display so it only outputs through the external monitor?

Thanks,
Ben

I think the only way to do that on an iMac would be to crack the case open and unplug the video cable . . . . I don't think there is a way to do it with software. I know on the Apple laptops you can turn the brightness to the point the backlight is off, but I am not sure you can do that with an LCD display in an iMac.

OH you could setup your iMac as a Dual Monitor system, making the external monitor the main screen. Once you have done that, just change the background on your iMac screen to a black background and put the brightness on the lowest setting. That would work too!!!!

Hope that helps.

-iGrant

Lord Zedd

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2007
Denver, Colorado
Yep, crack it open and unplug the screen.

You could also put it lengthwise on the floor like a slim tower unit and put a towel over the screen. You could still access all the ports and you wouldn't have a huge blank screen box on your desk. Just be careful not to block the vent ports.

Advance The Man

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2005
Seriously?! You can't turn off the iMac screen? It's annoying to have the brightest monitor I've seen on while watching the larger tv screen. Anyway (besides a towel, my current solution) to do this?

Advance The Man

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2005
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

My solution is still a towel. Is there not a better solution?

Ikabod

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2009
This works with 10.5.x, not sure if works with 10.4.x, but if you hit the shift+control+eject on an apple keyboard it will turn off the built in monitor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.