Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryans79

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2009
Hello!

I have never bought an Apple machine in my life so i'm a little confused, i want to start making a few apps for the iphone (i dont have an iphone) so i started looking for the cheapest way to get in and came across this:

http://www.blocket.se/vi/21117597.htm?ca=11_s

Can someone please tell me if its possible to develop on that or is it too old to run the necessary SDKs?
As you can see, there are no real details on that link... so are there any questions i should ask the guy who's selling it?

Thanks!
Ryan

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
The SDK requires an Intel Mac with Leopard (although there are hacks to make it work on PPC Macs, but it still requires Leopard). That is way too old.

macuser1997

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2009
Does anybody know if I can use one of these?

appleiipd2.jpg

ryans79

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2009
Thanks, i have never sat on a Mac in my life and know nothing about it at all, but from your response and a little googling, i see "leopard" is version 10.5, right? Please feel free to correct me because i'm totally new to this.

Also what does "PPC Macs" mean?

Thanks!

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
Thanks, i have never sat on a Mac in my life and know nothing about it at all, but from your response and a little googling, i see "leopard" is version 10.5, right? Please feel free to correct me because i'm totally new to this.

Also what does "PPC Macs" mean?

Thanks!

Leopard is in fact OS X Version 10.5. PPC Mac is a Mac with a Power PC Processor instead of an Intel Processor

ryans79

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2009
Thanks for clearing that up guys, will get back to searching for an Intel powered Mac with Leopard.

Just curious but what would it cost 2nd hand where you guys live?
(I'm in Sweden btw)

Thanks!
R

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
Thanks for clearing that up guys, will get back to searching for an Intel powered Mac with Leopard.

Just curious but what would it cost 2nd hand where you guys live?
(I'm in Sweden btw)

Thanks!
R

A used Intel-Based Mac Mini is about $350(USD) on ebay right now.

BlackWolf

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2009
A used Intel-Based Mac Mini is about $350(USD) on ebay right now.

even if you don't buy it from ebay, mac minis are pretty cheap. you should definetly look out for one of those, it's by far the cheapest way to get into the apple world!

ryans79

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2009
Thanks Jeremy1026, I take it you are in the US?

@BlackWolf: Yep, after a lot of looking around and reading looks like my best option is the mini esp since i can use my own mouse (very important, i dont think i'll ever be able to get used to the mac mouse with no right click - been reading up on Apple 's intro for people coming into the Mac platform and i feel a bit more relaxed now, and even they recommend buying a "normal" mouse if I want right click action) and other hardware.

They are still pretty darn expensive in Europe thanks to our crazy taxes and +25% of VAT (VAT = value added tax = just another way of screwing you over) so i guess i've gotta wait till a friend is visiting the States or something.

If you guys have any good links please share, maybe one of the dealers will post to Europe...

Thanks again,
Ryan

BlackWolf

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2009
Thanks Jeremy1026, I take it you are in the US?

@BlackWolf: Yep, after a lot of looking around and reading looks like my best option is the mini esp since i can use my own mouse (very important, i dont think i'll ever be able to get used to the mac mouse with no right click - been reading up on Apple 's intro for people coming into the Mac platform and i feel a bit more relaxed now, and even they recommend buying a "normal" mouse if I want right click action) and other hardware.

They are still pretty darn expensive in Europe thanks to our crazy taxes and +25% of VAT (VAT = value added tax = just another way of screwing you over) so i guess i've gotta wait till a friend is visiting the States or something.

If you guys have any good links please share, maybe one of the dealers will post to Europe...

Thanks again,
Ryan

yeah, it's a lot cheaper in the US. btw, if you buy a mighty mouse for your mac mini you have right-click as well, but I wouldn't recommend it, I personally never like the mighty mouse.

ryans79

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2009
yeah, it's a lot cheaper in the US. btw, if you buy a mighty mouse for your mac mini you have right-click as well, but I wouldn't recommend it, I personally never like the mighty mouse.

$70 for a mouse that regularly has scrolling problems (from the reviews)... damn, when apple screws you... they REALLY screw you!

I think i saw a product on ebay that allows you to use a "normal" cheapo mouse with some kind of adapter... i'll follow along that route if i get a mini..

Thats one of the reasons i never went Apple before, everything is so closed and tightly integrated that you have to do things the apple way..or the highway... ironically, thats why i have to get an apple now, no choice if i want to program for the iphone.

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
$70 for a mouse that regularly has scrolling problems (from the reviews)... damn, when apple screws you... they REALLY screw you!

I think i saw a product on ebay that allows you to use a "normal" cheapo mouse with some kind of adapter... i'll follow along that route if i get a mini..

Thats one of the reasons i never went Apple before, everything is so closed and tightly integrated that you have to do things the apple way..or the highway... ironically, thats why i have to get an apple now, no choice if i want to program for the iphone.

Or you can plug in any USB mouse and have right click.

BlackWolf

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2009

tell me about it ... mini display port my ass.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.