Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Absalt EasyWakeup [App Store, $9.99] is a unique app that monitors muscle movements in order to wake users at the optimum point in their sleep cycles. The application functions by using the iPhone's built-in accelerometer to detect the minute muscle movements associated with transitions from periods of deep sleep to periods of light sleep while the device is attached to the user's hand or arm.

Users are able to set customized windows of time in which they would like to be wakened, and the application chooses a time of natural wakefulness within that window in which to activate the alarm. This reportedly leads to users waking up feeling more refreshed than if they had been wakened from a deep sleep. Features include:

- Awake at a predefined time like usual alarm clock (supports locked mode aka sleep mode).
- Smart detect the opportune time for awaking (with unlocked mode only).
- Night statistics
- Movement graphs.
- Awake through vibration.
- Setup any melody for alarm (microphone recording support).
- Fade in melody for waking up more easily. (slowly increase melody volume).
- Selectable Snooze (0-10 minutes).
- Setup five different alarm clocks.
- Ignore silent switch.
- Multilanguage support.
- Automatically 24 or 12 hour time format.
- A good support team. =)

The concept behind Absalt EasyWakeup is not new, as devices offering similar functionality have been on the market for several years. One of the more notable devices, SLEEPTRACKER, is a wristwatch currently available in several models with suggested retail price ranging from $149 to $179, although significant discounts can be found from a number of vendors.

Article Link: 'Absalt EasyWakeup' Monitors Sleep Patterns to Function as Smart Alarm Clock

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
I'd be interested in some reviews of this. Not sure I want to drop $10 before I've seen it in action sort of thing. Then again, I sleep for large periods of the day already, so don't think it'd make much of a difference to me.

k'five

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2008
Wow! Very cool. I'd be tempted to try that.

Waking up to an alarm is needlessly unpleasant.

Anything to soften the cracking of the masters whip is welcome.

holventure

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2009
Hi all!
I'm one of developer EasyWakeup.

I'd be interested in some reviews of this.
you could find some reviews here - http://easywakeup.net/content/easywakeup-reviews

imagine the app crashes and you wake up 2 hours late LOL
At first, this is not first version. And stability of app is our first prerogative. And if even you have some doubt about crashes you can use it simultaneously with build-in alarm clock.

holventure

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2009
Without background tasks, is see this soft of app not very valuable.
You are right. We can't doing anything this it cause Apple SDK limitation (not yet, maybe on OS 3.0). Therefore we have version for jailbroken devices. It much better that AppStore version.
Look here about drain battery information.

iPhoneNYC

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2007
Are there other options available in the App store for strapping on my arm at night? Interesting proposition...

Eso

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2008
Lmao

You have to strap your iPhone to your arm, in your sleep, overnight, with an app running the entire time...

Thanks for the chuckle.

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
You are right. We can't doing anything this it cause Apple SDK limitation (not yet, maybe on OS 3.0). Therefore we have version for jailbroken devices. It much better that AppStore version.
Look here about drain battery information.

The FAQ copied below is a little confusing:

Does the EasyWakeup drain the iPhone/iPod Touch battery? How long does it take to charge my device?
The Full version of EasyWakeup drains the battery by only 2%.
The Lite version of EasyWakeup drains the battery more, because the screen will not turn off.
Average data for one year old phone:
9 hours sleep requires 54% of your battery (less for new iPhones).
After this the battery would need charged 1 hour and 40 minutes to get 100%.
Are you experiencing wildly different results with your device? - look here.
Hint: Device is charged more quickly if it is charged via power adapter.

I just bought the App Store version, so does my 6 month old iPhone 3G drain 2% or 54% - based on the above that is not clear?

I would plan to turn off wifi and 3G, but leave the phone running (with 2G) if possible, in case a call comes in. I'd go to bed between 12mn and 1AM, and wake up between 9:00 and 9:30AM. What would my estimated battery percentage remaining be when I wake up?

Does the phone need to be off (airplane mode) so that background push mail doesn't interrupt it, is that why it must be in airplane mode, or is having the phone off a battery life issue?

holventure

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2009
The FAQ copied below is a little confusing:
Does the phone need to be off so that background push mail doesn't interrupt it, is that why the phone must be off or is having the phone off a battery life issue?
We have updated FAQ page.
# The EasyWakeup Full drains the battery by only 2%.
# The Absalt EasyWakeup and EasyWakeup Lite drains the battery more, because the screen will not turn off.
# Average data for one year old phone:
9 hours sleep requires 54% of your battery (less for new iPhones).
If you leave the phone running your battery will be drained for 2-3%. Under the stipulation that, on you have a good cover for signal (two or more signal stripes - look at picture).

Attachments

• stripes.jpg
    stripes.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 111

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
We have updated FAQ page.

If you leave the phone running your battery will be drained for 2-3%. Under the stipulation that, on you have a good cover for signal (two or more signal stripes - look at picture).

The battery will run down over time even without the EasyWakeup running - Do you mean the battery will be drained a total of 2-3% more than if EasyWakeup wasn't running? That seems like very little drain from having the phone in standby and waiting for calls - do you mean 2-3% per hour?

An easier way to answer - If I charge my iPhone to 100% full before I go to bed, and sleep 8 hours with the phone turned on with 2 or more bars of cell signal, what estimated percentage will the battery be when I wake up?

Sorry for being so dense and not understanding. It's probably easier for you if I just try it tonight and see what happens, without making you answer more questions.

ipoppy

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
UK
I am interested in reviews as much as others but for some reason for me its just another Placebo effect device. Maybe I am wrong.

holventure

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2009
2 HeadphoneAddict
Sorry for confusing.
We are sleeping with iPhone every night (about 7 hours) with Airplane mode ON. And drain battery is 2% for our phones. We are using EasyWakeup Full.
Unfortunally we can't say exactly what happens if you set Airplane mode OFF.

macaddiict

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2005
Albuquerque, NM
This sounds great! I can't decide whether I want the Cydia version or the AppStore version... Hmm. I had been eying those watches for a while, though ... this sounds really interesting.

darwen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005
California, US
I will definatly buy this when an accessory is developed as a wrist strap. Something like a wireless wristband and a 30 pin dock connector would be well worth the extra expense. Even better if I could still charge the phone while using the accessory (Bluetooth accessory maybe?).

I always wanted to buy one of those watches that do this. I would prefer to support the iPhone developers.

rickshill

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2007
Hey holventure

I purchased the app from the App Store and would like to know that if i show evidence of my purchase, you can provide a key to the full cydia version so i can decide which one is better.

Thank You,

Richard

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
hmm. i wish there was a way to try this out before i buy it. if it actually worked, then i wouldn't mind buying it. but i have to sleep with it in my hand all night?

Terdinus Asus

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2008
I'd imagine if you just left it on your bed it should still work picking up vibrations from the mattress springs.

Assuming it works relatively. When you're out your body is paralyzed and there should be no motion, so when there is minute movement it should pick it up.

In theory. This app probably will suck for a bed of two. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.