Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cpcarrot

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
Right I have set up a windows partition on 3rd Hard Drive of my Mac Pro (400GB) with Boot camp assistant. Inserted my Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit disc and restarted. It boots from the CD OK (can hold down option and select the bootable volume fine) but the first thing that comes up is:

"1.

Select CD-Rom Boot Type:_"

And pressing keys does absolutely nothing. It's looking like it is not recognizing my keyboard at this stage as pressing caps lock on and off does not illuminate the corresponding light.... Any suggestions? It's a USB keyboard plugged straight into the Mac so I have no clue what the problem is...

System spec:

Mac Pro 4x2.66 (bought September 2007)
9GB Ram
4 x 500GB Hard Drives
ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT Graphics (Upgraded) as main graphics card
NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT in slot 4 (Original graphics card)

Running latest version of Leopard

Oh and using a USB keyboard plugged directly into Mac.

cpcarrot

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
I'm still stuck at this point! An update though:

I tried sticking in my Windows XP install disc and it seems to work fine (I can't actually install windows using it though because its the one from my Dell and I only have the OEM product key). It never shows up the:

"1.

Select CD-Rom Boot Type:_"

Message and just goes straight to the windows installer. Once it is done initializing keyboard works fine. I'm guessing that the problem with the vista disc would probably be solved by simply getting past this screen and getting to the windows installer. But as it is not recognising the keyboard at this stage I have no way of progressing...

Anyone got any ideas?

Reactions: dabotsonline

Iakov

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2008
this guide still confuses me, and im no noob to computers

can someone break it down a little clearer for me

You're not the only one. This was the second time in my 13 years in IT to create a bootable NT-technology CD, and so I needed to brush up on that. The fact that most discussions about this topic dwell on .iso this, and .iso that, had me confused for a while because I didn't know what .iso had to do with anything. My solution is posted here:

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?siteid=1&PostID=2731677

I am the last entry on the page at the moment.

cpcarrot

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
It's definitely not the most straightforward thing in the world but quite doable once you know where the problem lies. I was attacking it from completely the wrong direction as I thought that message was supposed to come up and it was just that my keyboard wasn't responding! How wrong was I!

OK step by step solution (note I did this on a windows PC using imgburn but you should be able to use the same methodology using alternative software)

1. Insert Windows Install disc into DVD drive
2. Using the build mode of imburn, go to the advanced tab, then bootable disc and then select your DVD drive in the extract boot image drop down list. Go ahead and extract the boot image and store it somewhere on your hard drive
3. Go to the information tab and add your DVD drive as the source file
4. Options tab, check that file system is ISO9660 + IDF and UDF revision is 1.02 (should be anyway by default)
5. Go to Advanced tab, sub tab Restrictions and further sub tab ISO9660: Set Folder / File length to Level X and tick the four check boxes at the bottom (allow more than 8 directory levels, Allow more than 255 characters in path, Allow files without Extensions, Don’t Add ‘;1’ Version number to Files. (Note it’s this bit that actually solves the problem the rest is effectively just duplicating the existing disc)
6. Move to the bootable disc tab: Click the tick box to make the image bootable, emulation type to “none (custom)” and the browse and select the boot image you previously extracted from the windows disc. Finally set Sectors to load to 4.
7. Click the big create iso button to create the bootable iso.
8. And use that iso to burn a new install disc.

And this disc works!

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
1. Insert Windows Install disc into DVD drive
2. Using the build mode of imburn, go to the advanced tab, then bootable disc and then select your DVD drive in the extract boot image drop down list. Go ahead and extract the boot image and store it somewhere on your hard drive
3. Go to the information tab and add your DVD drive as the source file

On Step.3, do you mean "add the extracted boot image file" as the source file? I cannot add DVD drive as the source file. Besides this, I followed the steps. When I tried to install Vista Ultimate 64-bit on my MBP, I got the "Couldn't find BootMGR" error. I tried to burn the image file three times with two different programs. I got the same error. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

res1233

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
On Step.3, do you mean "add the extracted boot image file" as the source file? I cannot add DVD drive as the source file. Besides this, I followed the steps. When I tried to install Vista Ultimate 64-bit on my MBP, I got the "Couldn't find BootMGR" error. I tried to burn the image file three times with two different programs. I got the same error. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi, first post. He meant folder lol. You need to add a folder as a source to add the disk, you cant do it by trying to add a file. The option should be one of those buttons :D

Luke b

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2009
Hi, I tried making a new iso with imgburn, and then burnt it with disk utility, however now it is saying error 5, the disk is not bootable.

Any idea why?

jaharr03

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2009
Error 5, disk not bootable

Hi, I tried making a new iso with imgburn, and then burnt it with disk utility, however now it is saying error 5, the disk is not bootable.

Any idea why?

Hey Luke. I had the same issue as you. I was able to solve the problem by using the method posted here: http://blog.aproductofsociety.org/?p=13

Note one of the first comments on the page as well as it has a slight correction in it.

This is much simpler then the other solution posted here, and more importantly the disc was actually bootable for me. Once you do that, you can follow the instructions here if need be for getting the 64 bit drivers: http://blog.andersonshatch.com/2009/01/11/windows-7-beta-1-x64-on-a-macbook-pro-guide/

yashrg

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2008
I'd like a mac solution too. I don't have access to a windows installation right now, so I'm debating whether to leave it be or install a compatible OS then do the steps mentioned above and reinstall.

hardwiredmac

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2009
After reading through several posts including one where they said it couldn’t be done, here are the instructions for creating a vista64 disk that will allow you to install vista64 on your macbook.

Create a folder called exe on your c drive (i.e. c:\exe)

Download oscdimg.exe from here

Put oscdimg.exe in the c:\exe folder

Create a folder called iso on your c drive (i.e. c:\iso)

Open your msdos prompt by typing “cmd” into the search box on your start menu (or simply choose command prompt from your accessories folder)

From the command prompt, navigate into the c:\exe folder where you stored oscdimg.exe (you can do this by typing cd.. then pressing <enter>, repeat this until you get to see the c:\ prompt. The type “cd exe” and press <enter>.

Finally type the following code and press <enter>.

oscdimg -n -m -bd:\boot\etfsboot.com d:\ c:\iso\vista64dvd.iso

This assumes that your vista dvd is in the d: drive. Your iso image, namely vista64dvd.iso (which is contained in the c:\iso\ folder) is then ready to be copied to a blank dvd using a programme like imageburn.

ALUOp

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2008
Just want to report that I had to do the same thing in order to install Win 7 x64.
The bug is still not fixed. Stupid M$.

gugucom

macrumors 68020
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
It will never be fixed because it would require a firmware update by Apple from EFI32 to EFI64. This is highly unlikely as past practise by Apple has shown. In this case we can only blame Apple and not MS. They are using the newest standard applicable since 2007. Apple have complied from November 2008 with all new released models going to EFI64. Unfortunately the EFI32 machines will always need Jowie's tweak to load Vista and Seven 64 versions.

Here is Jowie's tweak: :cool::cool::D

With all that information in hand, I went about recreating the .iso file to burn back to disk to see if simply setting checking the option in imgburn to not use the versioning scheme worked.
First thing you will want to do is extract the boot image off of the DVD created from the .iso downloaded from the beta site, you can access this while in "Build" mode.

While that DVD you burned is still in the drive, and after you've extracted the boot image somewhere to your hard drive, click the button to browse for a folder to add the files from the DVD to the image. Just add the root of the drive, you should then have something that looks like this.

On the Options tab, ensure the file system is selected as ISO9660 + UDF, and the UDF version is set to 1.02. These settings matched what the MS .iso file were set at, and is the only reason I chose them. Other settings may work, experiment if you like, rewritable DVDs are your friends.

Now we get to the part where we configure the ISO9660 settings, on the Advanced tab, Restrictions subtab, then ISO9660 subtab, I set the Folder/File Name Length to Level X, and checked all the options toward the bottom of that pane.

We're almost done, onward to the Bootable Disk tab. Check the option to make the image bootable, select None for emulation type, browse to the boot .ima file you extracted earlier, and set the sectors to load to 4(8 if you're building a Win7 DVD!).

That should do it! Create the new .iso file and then burn it to disk.

toenexx

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2007
It will never be fixed because it would require a firmware update by Apple from EFI32 to EFI64. This is highly unlikely as past practise by Apple has shown. In this case we can only blame Apple and not MS. They are using the newest standard applicable since 2007. Apple have complied from November 2008 with all new released models going to EFI64. Unfortunately the EFI32 machines will always need Jowie's tweak to load Vista and Seven 64 versions.

Here is Jowie's tweak: :cool::cool::D

With all that information in hand, I went about recreating the .iso file to burn back to disk to see if simply setting checking the option in imgburn to not use the versioning scheme worked.
First thing you will want to do is extract the boot image off of the DVD created from the .iso downloaded from the beta site, you can access this while in "Build" mode.

While that DVD you burned is still in the drive, and after you've extracted the boot image somewhere to your hard drive, click the button to browse for a folder to add the files from the DVD to the image. Just add the root of the drive, you should then have something that looks like this.

On the Options tab, ensure the file system is selected as ISO9660 + UDF, and the UDF version is set to 1.02. These settings matched what the MS .iso file were set at, and is the only reason I chose them. Other settings may work, experiment if you like, rewritable DVDs are your friends.

Now we get to the part where we configure the ISO9660 settings, on the Advanced tab, Restrictions subtab, then ISO9660 subtab, I set the Folder/File Name Length to Level X, and checked all the options toward the bottom of that pane.

We're almost done, onward to the Bootable Disk tab. Check the option to make the image bootable, select None for emulation type, browse to the boot .ima file you extracted earlier, and set the sectors to load to 4(8 if you're building a Win7 DVD!).

That should do it! Create the new .iso file and then burn it to disk.

I tried your method, word from word, and it doesn't work for me.

When I boot off from the new cd, I get an error that says:

"Cannot boot from CD - Code: 5"

gugucom

macrumors 68020
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
It is not from me but from Jowie. many people have reported that it works for them. It works for me as well. Naturally you need a PC or EFI64 Intel Mac.

toenexx

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2007
It is not from me but from Jowie. many people have reported that it works for them. It works for me as well. Naturally you need a PC or EFI64 Intel Mac.

Mmmm, my intel mac is from june 2007... how do u check wut efi it is?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.