Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Rogue Amoeba is well-known in the Mac community for Airfoil, the $25 Mac and PC application that allows any audio to be streamed from a host computer to an AirPort Express or Apple TV. The original concept was expanded by the addition of free Airfoil Speakers applications for Mac, Windows, and Linux, allowing other computers to be recipients of audio streamed from the primary computer.

Rogue Amoeba has taken things one step further with the release of Airfoil Speakers Touch [App Store, Free], which allows audio to be streamed from a host computer directly to an iPhone or iPod touch. While Airfoil Speakers Touch is a free application, it does still of course require the full version of Airfoil running on the host computer in order to function.

With Airfoil Speakers Touch, you can send any audio from your Mac or PC, straight to your iPhone or iPod Touch! Just connect your device to your local Wifi network, then open up Airfoil on your Mac or Windows machine, and start transmitting. You'll be able to send audio from iTunes, RealPlayer, and even web-based sources like Pandora and Last.fm. Now, if your Mac or Windows machine can play it, you can hear it on your iPhone or iPod Touch!

Article Link: 'Airfoil Speakers Touch' Now Available in App Store

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
it'd probably be cooler the other way around - iPhone/iPod transmitting via airfoil to the router.

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
There are so many uses for this, it's unimaginable. I've been waiting for this day since the App Store opened.

really? like what? besides listening to a movie quietly in the living room while your spouse is sleeping - i can't think of another use... there are pandora apps and such...

lukecro

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2009
NYC
This is awesome. It basically turns our iPod Touch or iPhone into an airport express -- at least, as far as audio-streaming goes.

Now I can plug my Touch into my living room stereo system and pipe in music from the iMac in my office (which has 20,000+ songs, instead of the paltry selection of 4 GBs my Touch has). Great for parties -- keep the computer away from the drinks, but the music piping into the room.

I actually bought my Airport Express specifically for this type of thing. And I was thinking about buying a second one, so I didn't have to keep moving the Express around the house depending on where I wanted to stream music too. So the Airfoil iPhone App is going to save me some $$.

It also allows you, theoretically, to turn any set of headphones into a semi-wireless system -- something that even an Airport Express can't help with. e.g., I could plug headphones into my iPod Touch, and then walk around the house or lie in bed or whatever -- while listening to audio streaming from my iMac, which could include streaming radio, live TV shows via Eye TV, movies playing in VLC, etc . . . A great solution for when you don't want to disturb other people in the house. And, really, if you've looked at wireless headset solutions -- whether they broadcast from your computer over wifi, radio frequencies, or blue tooth -- they tend to be clunky affairs. This Airfoil-to-iPhone audio solution is much more elegant.

One problem I'm anticipating: Since we can't run background apps on non-jailbroken iPhones/Touches, then I'm guessing that this means we won't be able to run the Airfoil Speakers app at the same time as the iTunes Remote app or the VLC Remote app. This is a real shame, since having full Remote control capabilities would make Airfoil Speakers much more convenient for multi-room audio-streaming usage.

Anyway, I haven't actually tried it out yet. Will be interesting to see how well it works, and if Airfoil is able to keep the audio in sync with any video that might be playing on the computer -- it usually works great with the Draft-N Airport Express, but I wonder if my 1st generation Touch has enough enough power to handle it. The Touches and iPhones are all Draft-G, right? So that could create more lag time and glitches in the streaming?

Regardless -- well worth a try, since it's a free App and I already own a copy of Airfoil. :apple:

macdim

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2007
Canada
Anyway, I haven't actually tried it out yet. Will be interesting to see how well it works, and if Airfoil is able to keep the audio in sync with any video that might be playing on the computer -- it usually works great with the Draft-N Airport Express, but I wonder if my 1st generation Touch has enough enough power to handle it. The Touches and iPhones are all Draft-G, right? So that could create more lag time and glitches in the streaming?:

I'm not sure, but yesterday I was streaming a 720p mkv file from my MacBook to my PS3, including AC3 audio and I didn't get one stutter on wireless G. Audio should be fine. It really depends how much traffic the network is seeing at any given time.

bizzaregood

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2008
MA, US
Well maybe they can talk to the VLC people and start added controls from there. and even maybe some app like Air mouse for those who have computers connected to their big screens.

This is awesome. It basically turns our iPod Touch or iPhone into an airport express -- at least, as far as audio-streaming goes.

Now I can plug my Touch into my living room stereo system and pipe in music from the iMac in my office (which has 20,000+ songs, instead of the paltry selection of 4 GBs my Touch has). Great for parties -- keep the computer away from the drinks, but the music piping into the room.

I actually bought my Airport Express specifically for this type of thing. And I was thinking about buying a second one, so I didn't have to keep moving the Express around the house depending on where I wanted to stream music too. So the Airfoil iPhone App is going to save me some $$.

It also allows you, theoretically, to turn any set of headphones into a semi-wireless system -- something that even an Airport Express can't help with. e.g., I could plug headphones into my iPod Touch, and then walk around the house or lie in bed or whatever -- while listening to audio streaming from my iMac, which could include streaming radio, live TV shows via Eye TV, movies playing in VLC, etc . . . A great solution for when you don't want to disturb other people in the house. And, really, if you've looked at wireless headset solutions -- whether they broadcast from your computer over wifi, radio frequencies, or blue tooth -- they tend to be clunky affairs. This Airfoil-to-iPhone audio solution is much more elegant.

One problem I'm anticipating: Since we can't run background apps on non-jailbroken iPhones/Touches, then I'm guessing that this means we won't be able to run the Airfoil Speakers app at the same time as the iTunes Remote app or the VLC Remote app. This is a real shame, since having full Remote control capabilities would make Airfoil Speakers much more convenient for multi-room audio-streaming usage.

Anyway, I haven't actually tried it out yet. Will be interesting to see how well it works, and if Airfoil is able to keep the audio in sync with any video that might be playing on the computer -- it usually works great with the Draft-N Airport Express, but I wonder if my 1st generation Touch has enough enough power to handle it. The Touches and iPhones are all Draft-G, right? So that could create more lag time and glitches in the streaming?

Regardless -- well worth a try, since it's a free App and I already own a copy of Airfoil. :apple:

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
Agreed!

It blows my mind that the iPhone and iPod Touch cannot pipe sound to an Airport Express...

it's probably because os 2.0 does not allow access to the ipod portion of the iphone. you'll have to wait until 3.0 comes out which will have the access. i'm sure apple will tout that you can stream your iphone to an airport express with speakers attached.

diamond3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
Anyone care to explain the advantage of Airfoil over the simplify media app? I use simplify media which runs on my computer and ipod. While i am up on campus where there is free wifi, i'm able to stream all my music located on my iTunes at home and play it on my ipod. I can browse by artist, genre, song, album, playlist, etc and listen to it.

Mastershredder

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2006
I'm not sure, but yesterday I was streaming a 720p mkv file from my MacBook to my PS3, including AC3 audio and I didn't get one stutter on wireless G. Audio should be fine. It really depends how much traffic the network is seeing at any given time.

Just curious, what are you using to stream an MKV to the PS3 via your Mac?

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
This is great. I for one use Airfoil on my iMac to stream NHL and NFL games to my garage while I am working out there, allowing me to listen to games when I can't watch them. With this I have the option to Airfoil anything to my iPhone instead and be more portable with headphones. I can listen to a game or other audio indoors without broadcasting to my wife who could care less. Since this is free and I already have Airfoil, awesome!!

SHIVERINGGOAT

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2007
This is great news for me;

I can now listen to the same music in the bath as is playing throughout our house without having to run cables using a battery powered Bose soundock, Equally you can have music in a garden party without wires and the same music playing in the house.

I have kept my 1st Generation iPhone which is handy now this will make it even more useful - no need to shell out another £65 on a airport express.

I can now dress up in my Grandmother's clothes and hide in the garden shed whilst listening to the first Kraftwerk album without wires thanks to Rogue Amoeba.

:)

lozion

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2006
Montreal, Canada
Great app!
I've been waiting for this for awhile...
I can now be outside on my terrasse working on my Macbook and stream itunes content to my iphone hooked to my home system which in turn is connected to external speakers on the terrasse!
Just like Remote but the other way around.

cplav

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2008
Couldn't you just use Simplify Media for free to do the same thing? I have been using it since it launched in the app store and it works great.

Am I missing something?

todd2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2005
Danville, VA
Couldn't you just use Simplify Media for free to do the same thing? I have been using it since it launched in the app store and it works great.

Am I missing something?

Yes, this lets you stream ANY audio from your Mac to your iPod. Simplify Media is just for music. If all you want to do is stream your iTunes library then Simplify Media is probably your best option.

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
it's probably because os 2.0 does not allow access to the ipod portion of the iphone. you'll have to wait until 3.0 comes out which will have the access. i'm sure apple will tout that you can stream your iphone to an airport express with speakers attached.

mmm not so sure about that. according to the SDK one application cannot modify another. this sounds like a plugin that would need to be added to the iPod application.

bizzaregood

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2008
MA, US
mmm not so sure about that. according to the SDK one application cannot modify another. this sounds like a plugin that would need to be added to the iPod application.

3.0 can aces the ipod. They told (or showed?) us that a a game can use your own music to listen to, so it would be the same type of thing. Ill look into how to code it.

slapguts

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
Anyone care to explain the advantage of Airfoil over the simplify media app? I use simplify media which runs on my computer and ipod. While i am up on campus where there is free wifi, i'm able to stream all my music located on my iTunes at home and play it on my ipod. I can browse by artist, genre, song, album, playlist, etc and listen to it.

The ability to stream any audio, not just non-DRM'ed iTunes music. Simplify Media is no longer free, either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.