Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lazydog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2005
Cramlington, UK
I've been using versions for a while now and love it. It works really well with beanstalkapp. The only problem I have is with versioning pages documents - if anyone has an easy solution I'd love to know about it. I find it really useful to have all my projects under the one SCM app so have given up with SCM in Xcode. I gave cornerstone a look but went with versions in the end for some reason which I can't remember now. That was some time ago so perhaps cornerstone has caught up now. In any case, I would certainly recommend looking at beanstalkapp to pair up some offline storage with your SCM client.

B e n

larkost

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2007
I've been using versions for a while now and love it. It works really well with beanstalkapp. The only problem I have is with versioning pages documents - if anyone has an easy solution I'd love to know about it. I find it really useful to have all my projects under the one SCM app so have given up with SCM in Xcode. I gave cornerstone a look but went with versions in the end for some reason which I can't remember now. That was some time ago so perhaps cornerstone has caught up now. In any case, I would certainly recommend looking at beanstalkapp to pair up some offline storage with your SCM client.

B e n

I too have been using Versions. I reviewed both it and Conerstone as I needed a SVN client just as the both were comming out, and found both to be good. I would up with Versions, but could just have easily gone with Corenerstone.

And lazydog: the solution is to upgrade to iWork '09. They have changed the file format from a bundle to a zip-wrapped bundle and it works fine with SVN now (as a BLOB that is... no diffs).

garethlewis2

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2006
I use Cornerstone.

I tried both Versions and Cornerstone and the only thing that tipped it for me was the discount that Mac Developer were offering on Cornerstone. I got a 75% discount. :)

I would recommend either even if you are used to the SVN command line tools. They make everything so easy. Setting up new repositories to adding existing repositories is so easy.

I can understand that the hardcore Linux users (read mentally unstable) will be frothing at the mouth at anything that takes away from the command line, but I would rather get on with the job I am tasked with, instead of trying to remember the commands that add files to a repository then commit them.

AlmostThere

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Having used both for a while now, I have to say that I prefer Cornerstone.

I agree with nearly everything in the review http://jadeohlhauser.com/2008/c_vs_v/ but it is the integrated file viewer and change log that makes it easiest for me.

I am using svn for a wide range of projects and it complements built-in IDE support very well. The only let down right now is 1. no Subversion 1.6 (coming) and 2. I wish you could change the font in the contents window. Versions just felt like it didn't really offer me the file access I wanted ...

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
Neither have any support for merging, which may be important.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.