Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamaur99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
I want to be able to fax on my Mac Pro. What are my options? I obviously don't have an internal modem. Here is my system info:
Two 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeo
2GB (2x1GB)
2xATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256MB

Thanks guys...Mike

mchalebk

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
For receiving faxes, efax is free. You sign up, they assign you a number and they e-mail any faxes you receive. They charge if you want to be able to send faxes (don't know how much). I find I rarely need to fax something (can almost always use e-mail), so having receive-only capability works for me.

fluidedge

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
I honestly can't rememebr the last time i even saw a fax machine let alone used one. Who are you sending a fax to? 1996?

SmurfBoxMasta

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I'm only really here at night.
Contrary to what you might think, there are still millions of fax machines in use today by just about as many businesses.......

even though they are an ancient technology, and computers are virtually everywhere, there are still alot of folks who simply are too lazy or too resistant to change to switch to other ways of doing things.....

sigmadog

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
just west of Idaho
Contrary to what you might think, there are still millions of fax machines in use today by just about as many businesses.......

even though they are an ancient technology, and computers are virtually everywhere, there are still alot of folks who simply are too lazy or too resistant to change to switch to other ways of doing things.....

Yup. I still have clients that fax me proofs instead of marked up PDF's. It drives me up the wall, but they just don't like learning new technology, so I deal with it.

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
Yup. I still have clients that fax me proofs instead of marked up PDF's. It drives me up the wall, but they just don't like learning new technology, so I deal with it.

Same here. Storyboard by fax, proofreading jobs by fax, little notes about schedules, meetings, order changes, etc. When I'm busy I get 5 or 6 faxes a week average. I can send/receive faxes in color or monochrome directly from my Mac or I can do it from the printer. About $300 will get you one of these:

mx850.jpg

And it's a decent 8x10 photo printer too. As good as any 1-Hour photomatt for sure. :) Plus a copy machine and scanner too. :cool:

The Mad Hatter

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2004
SoCal
Same here. Storyboard by fax, proofreading jobs by fax, little notes about schedules, meetings, order changes, etc. When I'm busy I get 5 or 6 faxes a week average. I can send/receive faxes in color or monochrome directly from my Mac or I can do it from the printer. About $300 will get you one of these:

mx850.jpg

And it's a decent 8x10 photo printer too. As good as any 1-Hour photomatt for sure. :) Plus a copy machine and scanner too. :cool:

Good choice Tesselator

I have that same model in my office.

...but you forgot to mention, that it also prints on printable CD/DVDs (will a little modification.) ;)

mcpryon2

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2008

mx850.jpg

I know somebody who has that model. Nice little unit. (Cue the "Is that what she said?" comments.)

gouvernor

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2008
Another Option

I use http://www.faxzero.com for my fax purposes. You can send for free, but only a few pages. I pay less than two dollars for the premium service. I just use my scanner and make PDFs to attach, but you do have the option of .doc files or just adding text. I've never had the need to receive though. I do own an HP all in one, but I don't have a regular phone line to use it.

Leo

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
...but you forgot to mention, that it also prints on printable CD/DVDs (will a little modification.) ;)

Oh yeah... But it doesn't need any modifications that I know of. Just insert the CD/DVD and print. I was using that feature quite a lot for awhile. I haven't in a long time tho.

DVD_Template_Example.jpg

It's fun. :)

The Mad Hatter

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2004
SoCal
Oh yeah... But it doesn't need any modifications that I know of. Just insert the CD/DVD and print. I was using that feature quite a lot for awhile. I haven't in a long time tho.

That's right, I forgot mods were only needed on the US version (since Epson supposedly has the monopoly on the US CD/DVD printing market.) :rolleyes:

Such as life.

Great unit though... but then again, I love all my Canon printers. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.