Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Confuzzeled23

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 27, 2009
Hey Everyone,
I have had my iPod G5 for about 2 years now. I usually use it with an FM Charger in my vehicle. However, I noticed about a month ago it has stopped keeping charge. When I charge it, it says charged and then I will turn it off, when I go to turn it on, say a day later, even if I haven't used it, the battery will be depleated. I was wondering if my battery's life has been all used up and I need a new battery, or if I should just get a new iPod. Was wondering first though if this was a fixable problem. For example, I turned it on last night, and it was at 3 quarters charged and this morning it does not have enough power to even turn on, the apple shows up and then the screen turns off.

Is there any way to fix the battery or do I need a new one?
Thanks. :apple:

lostless

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2005
Sounds like your battery is shot. A new battery costs sixty dollars if you go through apple. If you want to replace it yourself, just look up some ipod repair shop and they will send you a new battery for twenty bucks. Its not that hard to open the ipod and replace the battery. The new battery i got came with the tool to crack the ipod open and the battery is attached to the back plate with a small connector near the dock connector.

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
I replaced the battery in my 5G ipod with battery from ipodjuice.com

Battery was reasonably priced, they include a good (not crappy) tool to open it up, they have very good instructions, and the DIY job was enjoyable.

pspmanny

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2009
I'm having a problem that when i play music the battery lasts a normall amount of time like all day but when i play videos it only lasts 5 minutes it seems that when it plays video the battery is telling the ipod its low but its reallly not. any suggestions

hatehereyes

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2008
Moreno Valley, Ca
Check out iFixit.com

That's where I got my 5th gen battery and it was under $20 for the battery and it's not hard to replace at all.

Just becareful with the battery connector pins. My plastic connector (where the ribbon slides into) slid off the pins and they ended up getting bent and with me trying to put them back on they snapped off. NO MORE 5TH GEN IPOD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.