Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

majordude

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 28, 2007
Hootersville
Okay.

This is REALLY pissing me off. I want to burn a playlist (because iTunes won't let me burn a CD directly from an imported album). :mad:

I have a 4 CD set of Steely Dan discs. I have created a playlist from that set. As you can see, the song are in iTunes in proper order. But when I try to burn it, %$@!# iTunes does it in alphabetical order, not in the order I have in my playlist!!! WTF?!!! :mad:

Is there any way to fix this Apple screw up? :mad:

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    128.5 KB · Views: 194

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
What type are you burning? (audio, mp3, data) It looks like you took a screenshot at the beginning of the burn - have you let it complete, then look at the disk? IIRC, it will prepend the correct track number to each filename, so they play in the proper order. MP3's play alphabetically (at least in the couple of players I use regularly, one being the changer in the car).

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
It will span across several discs but it doesn't say how many.

I think that may be your problem.

iTunes is trying to burn a playlist, not a CD set. I think you need to create a playlist for CD1, burn it, replace the files in the playlist with CD2, and repeat.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
iTunes is trying to burn a playlist, not a CD set. I think you need to create a playlist for CD1, burn it, replace the files in the playlist with CD2, and repeat.

I don't think that's the problem. I just tried it from a large playlist and it was burning the spanned audio CDs in the correct (per playlist) order. I'm going to check around and see if I can come up with some ideas, though.

my example (it's 18 of 289 songs):

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    120.1 KB · Views: 122

majordude

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 28, 2007
Hootersville
Okay, I don't know if this is the "official" fix but I added a column that sorts by album and then song so it burns in the right order (even though the order was right in the first place).

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    81.2 KB · Views: 109

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Okay, I don't know if this is the "official" fix but I added a column that sorts by album and then song so it burns in the right order (even though the order was right in the first place).

Glad you found it - I thought it might have to do with what columns were enabled, but was thinking along the lines of track/disc.

majordude

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 28, 2007
Hootersville
Well, I was wrong. iTunes still sucks. It seems to have a mind of it's own. I almost think it is trying to be smarter than me and fit as many songs on a disc as possible... order be damned!

I'm doing another playlist and it is randomly choosing a song order. :mad:

iStuMac

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2009
Mate, this is also really p*ssing me off!

Burnt 2 cd's yesterday fine. Today it will only burn my next albulm in reverse order??

I tried adding the album column to my playlist, then list by track number...still no good.

I'm throwing cd's away like it's nobodies business! F**king annoying!! :mad:

wench

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2009
How do I burn a CD in the correct order? (iTunes Sucks!)

Easy fix -

Once you have them in your playlist, select the Album tab and
not the Name tab.

-kevin

iStuMac

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2009
Easy fix -

Once you have them in your playlist, select the Album tab (arrow up) and
not the Name tab.

-kevin

Sorry buddy, that still don't work. They were never listed by name anyway - always the number column or by track number. I've given up burning cd's with iTunes and use Roxio Toast instead - not had to throw one cd away yet.

majordude

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 28, 2007
Hootersville
Sorry buddy, that still don't work. They were never listed by name anyway - always the number column or by track number. I've given up burning cd's with iTunes and use Roxio Toast instead - not had to throw one cd away yet.

I have files in AAC (lossless) will Toast understand that? And if I have a lot of songs, will it span discs?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.