Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Double J

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2008
So I'm rockin' out on Guitar Hero 3 on my PC; start off with some warm-ups, a little "My Name is Jonas" and "Paint it Black." Then I move to something more meaty -- "One." I usually do pretty good on One (the fast solo always screws me though), but this time I'm just NAILING it. So far PERFECT all the way from the beginning. My note streak is at 900+, the fast solo is coming up, and I am just in the groove. All of a sudden, the screen freezes. No, no, dear GOD no, not a blue screen now. But it's not.

The game minimizes to desktop, and I'm like WTF?! What comes up? Apple ******* software updater!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! @#$^%#$%#$%@#$@#$@#!!!!!!!! Apparently, notifying me that there's an iTunes update is more important than ANY application I might be running in fullscreen. You have got to be ******* KIDDING me. This is the type of crap that would only come from a company whose platform doesn't run any games. It's bad enough that you HAVE to download Quicktime with iTunes, AND they try to sneak Safari in there too, but no, they're not done yet. They have to interrupt WHATEVER you are doing. And there's not even a straightforward way to turn this crap off, it's under scheduled tasks or something.

I don't think my rage meter has ever been so high. If that programmer was in the room right then, there would not be much left of his body. And I would've easily gotten off on temporary insanity.

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
now you'll know to set it to manual update check so you can avoid that in the future. and... guitar hero is more important than updating software? really? lol. sorry dude. you'll nail it next time and dominate that solo.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Apparently, notifying me that there's an iTunes update is more important than ANY application I might be running in fullscreen. You have got to be ******* KIDDING me.

So there I am, playing World In Conflict, and what happens? The program minimizes, I am automatically logged off, and the screen comes up showing that Microsoft updates are installing. My computer then shuts down.

This is the type of crap that would only come from a company whose platform doesn't run any games.

Again, MICROSOFT SOFTWARE UPDATE. Incorrect bias.

It's bad enough that you HAVE to download Quicktime with iTunes

Windows Media Player.

They have to interrupt WHATEVER you are doing.

Again, MICROSOFT SOFTWARE UPDATE.

If that programmer was in the room right then, there would not be much left of his body.

Better do the same to Microsoft.

And I would've easily gotten off on temporary insanity.

Yeah, you keep thinking that, and I'll sleep safer knowing that very soon you will be in jail for the rest of your life.

Double J

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2008
I've never had Windows Update interrupt a fullscreen app. Maybe it's a setting, but it's never happened. And it doesn't FORCE you to download Media Player updates -- you can always elect not to.

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
So I'm rockin' out on Guitar Hero 3 on my PC; start off with some warm-ups, a little "My Name is Jonas" and "Paint it Black." Then I move to something more meaty -- "One." I usually do pretty good on One (the fast solo always screws me though), but this time I'm just NAILING it. So far PERFECT all the way from the beginning. My note streak is at 900+, the fast solo is coming up, and I am just in the groove. All of a sudden, the screen freezes. No, no, dear GOD no, not a blue screen now. But it's not.

The game minimizes to desktop, and I'm like WTF?! What comes up? Apple ******* software updater!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! @#$^%#$%#$%@#$@#$@#!!!!!!!! Apparently, notifying me that there's an iTunes update is more important than ANY application I might be running in fullscreen. You have got to be ******* KIDDING me.
Stuff like this happens on PCs too, with other applications instead of software update (don't know about software update). But I totally understand; it's annoying for me too.

It's bad enough that you HAVE to download Quicktime with iTunes
iTunes uses QuickTime to play media.

brad.c

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2004
50.813669°, -2.474796°
This is nothing but a rant with no more meat than one against the cable company for having an outage during the Superbowl.

But I did laugh in a cruel, unsympathetic fashion. For that, Double J, I am truly sorry. :eek:

Double J

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2008
This is nothing but a rant with no more meat than one against the cable company for having an outage during the Superbowl.

No, it's not the same as that at all, because you can design a program to detect if a full-screen app is running. What happened to me is more like the infamous "Heidi incident," where NBC cut off an extremely dramatic Raiders vs. Jets game to show a Heidi movie. People were rightly angry, and ever since then sporting events are shown to the end.

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
No, it's not the same as that at all, because you can design a program to detect if a full-screen app is running. What happened to me is more like the infamous "Heidi incident," where NBC cut off an extremely dramatic Raiders vs. Jets game to show a Heidi movie. People were rightly angry, and ever since then sporting events are shown to the end.

This is exactly like that! Come on dude. It's just a video game.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
How hard is it to set the preferences to run Software Update manually?

Seems like that would be the thing to do to prevent this from happening? Same is true for Windows.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
With Software Update you can close it and the updates will be installed next time you shut the computer down. So much better than in Windows, when there's an update they consider "important" that opens a dialog every ten or so minutes asking if you want to restart now or restart later - pressing restart later merely causes it to pop up again after another ten or so minutes. That's a much bigger pain; Windoze.

mickbab

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Yeh there was this one time I was having an intense conversation on MSN with a friend. And I mean INTENSE. Like, we'd been talking for over 17 hours straight and he said to me "I need to go the toilet dude" and we were going to try and see if we could keep the conversation while he was on the toilet. IT WAS SO INTENSE!

But I wish I was the one on the toilet, because I absolutely poo'd myself when the mouse freezes, and I'm like WTF?! What comes up? Apple ******* software updater!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! @#$^%#$%#$%@#$@#$@#!!!!!!!! Apparently, notifying me that there's an iTunes update is more important than ANY conversation I might be having! This is the type of crap that would only come from a company whose executives don't use IM.

It's bad enough that you HAVE to download Quicktime with iTunes, AND they try to sneak Safari in there too, but no, they're not done yet. They have to interrupt WHATEVER you are doing. And the fact that it is so easy to turn off is just so ******* ANNOYING!!!.

I don't think my rage meter has ever been so high. If that programmer was in the room right then, there would not be much left of his body. And I would've easily gotten off on temporary insanity.

Double J

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2008
With Software Update you can close it and the updates will be installed next time you shut the computer down. So much better than in Windows, when there's an update they consider "important" that opens a dialog every ten or so minutes asking if you want to restart now or restart later - pressing restart later merely causes it to pop up again after another ten or so minutes. That's a much bigger pain; Windoze.

You use a Mac, so you wouldn't really understand this, since there are no games on Macs, but the very fact that it minimized the game is the problem. It hadn't downloaded an update or installed an update, it just spontaneously decided that there was an update. iTunes wasn't open; I even took it out of my startup, along with a few other Apple processes, which I have to do EVERY single time I do an iTunes update, since it thinks every stupid Apple service needs to be started when I turn my computer on. Windows Automatic Update turns off and stays off.

Wow mickbab, you copied my post and inserted the word toilet. You are surely the next Mark Twain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.