Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

booste

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Canada, In an igloo obviously.
I'm just interested to know what Americans HONESTLY think of Canada.

I've talked to some people who think Canadians should all be excecuted (They were completely serious too o_o) and some people who wish they could move here.

I'm just interested what Americans actually think :) And please, be brutally honest.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
There is nothing wrong with Canada or Canadians, as a matter of fact, I'm wearing a Team Canada hockey shirt right now.

Mr. Giver '94

macrumors 68000
Jun 2, 2008
London
Canadians are cool! :) I think of Canadians as similar to Americans, but less obese and more tolerant of cold weather. I don't really know much about Canadian history other than the fact that it was settled by both the French and the British, hence the different languages and provinces.

The most common stereotypes associated with Canada in the US are Maple Syrup, Maple Leaves, Hockey, "Eh", "Aboot", and Mooses.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
I like Colin Mockery, so I think Canada is ok in my book too.

Seriously, I think Canada is very similar to the US in a lot of ways, the biggest difference everyone points out being the healthcare system. I think they're just fine people :D

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
Sorry if I'm being rude chiming in on the thread (I live in the UK/Australia) but I'd just like to say one of my closest friends is Canadian, and I know an endless amount of Canadians I formed friendships with whilst travelling - and I can honestly say, every single Canadian person I've met has been lovely, well mannered, and respectful.

Everyone I've met has done your country very proud :)

A lovely nation, it seems.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
I like Robin Williams' take, who said on Leno that: "Canada is like a nice family living above a biker bar."

...and I can honestly say, every single Canadian person I've met has been lovely, well mannered, and respectful.
Yeah, it's hard to imagine but there actually are Canadians who are a**holes. I think most of them become politicians though. ;)

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
I think of Canada's people to be just like the people of the U.S. I think their government is probably in a little better shape though! :rolleyes:

Now Mexico on the other hand...

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
Its interesting that most Americans think of Canada as being similar to the US, because from an outsiders point of view being in the UK we tend to think of Canada as being very very different from the US and the only similarity being an accent.

99MustangGTman

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2008
Germantown MD/ Columbus OH
A lot of people i've talked to make fun of and joke about Canada. I really don't understand why. My cousins are Canadian and i've visited at least 6-7 times and I thought everyone there(B.C. area) was really nice and very polite.

booste

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
A lot of people i've talked to make fun of and joke about Canada. I really don't understand why. My cousins are Canadian and i've visited at least 6-7 times and I thought everyone there(B.C. area) was really nice and very polite.

Yeah, I live in BC and most people are pretty laid back. But if you go to east vancouver you might not think so...

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
How about watch when the American National anthem was played at the Bruins / Canadiens game last night and tell me

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
I've got several Canadian friends and my GF is also Canadian. I've never been up North, but the Canadians I have met are very nice people and I wouldn't mind going up for a visit someday. I'm also a huge hockey fan, so most of my favorite athletes are Canadian.

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
I bet if this thread was "What does the world think of the British" or on a smaller scale, "What does England think of Wales" this would be a much less nicer thread.

Leareth

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2004
Vancouver
Yeah, I live in BC and most people are pretty laid back. But if you go to east vancouver you might not think so...

depends which street you go on :cool:
some will be extremely laid back (Commercial Drive area)
some will be laid out on ground ( DTES )

Actually I found east Vancouver less snobby and pretentious than west side of Van. and people more willing to help out a stranger.

If you really want to see Canadian a**holes come up on Welfare Wednesday (3rd wed of month) and go near a liquor store.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Vancouver Canucks players and fans can go f**k themselves (sorry, lifelong Blues fan here!) but you other Canadians are cool :D

booste

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
depends which street you go on :cool:
some will be extremely laid back (Commercial Drive area)
some will be laid out on ground ( DTES )

Actually I found east Vancouver less snobby and pretentious than west side of Van. and people more willing to help out a stranger.

If you really want to see Canadian a**holes come up on Welfare Wednesday (3rd wed of month) and go near a liquor store.

Yeah good point... SO many druggies around there =/ My mom works on commercial drive and they are always near her work.

I haven't actually gone into Vancouver for months now, I'd rather stay away :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.