Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Great drivers. At least between the US North East to Montreal,
on highways people actually stick to the right and let people pass.
(Sign of paying attention to the road and consideration).

Always happy to visit.

=)

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Canadians are cool! :) I think of Canadians as similar to Americans, but less obese and more tolerant of cold weather. I don't really know much about Canadian history other than the fact that it was settled by both the French and the British, hence the different languages and provinces.

The most common stereotypes associated with Canada in the US are Maple Syrup, Maple Leaves, Hockey, "Eh", "Aboot", and Mooses.

Canadians are also a hell of a lot better educated and smarter than we are. The accents are sexy too. :) I love it up there, and hope to retire to Canada when I'm able.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Yeah....well, sorry about that, eh!?

I wish I had been able to watch the series.... I heard St Louis played really well and that it was some good hockey.

Yeah, it was a good series. And for a team that spent the last few seasons as one of the sh*ttiest in the NHL, St. Louis did play well. Hopefully they'll improve next season and make it further into the playoffs (and hell, maybe win the cup? I can dream, can't I?)

pilotError

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2006
Long Island
I can honestly say I never really differentiate between Canadians and Americans. We poke fun at each other, but it's fun, nothing more.

Canada could be a 51st state (although I'm sure you hate to hear that)! :D

Now those French Canadians... ;)

godmachine12

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2006
I love you guys and gals! One of the coolest people I have ever met was a guy from Nova Scotia. I was in Sweden, he was friends with a friend of my friend, and he just happened to share the same name as my brother. There are a few lurking around where I live—mostly students at the local university—and they have all been awesome to meet and spend time with. Canada also has the added bonus of giving us Devin Townsend, one of my favourite musicians. His greatness cancels out Celine Dion...haha!

iPhoneNYC

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2007
I think Canada is great. They've gone a lot further than the US to protect it's beauty, the more socialized programs like medicine are a better mix than we have. I visit often and always enjoy my trips.

iPhoneNYC

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2007
But having written my compliments above, why on earth would they pay a fortune to have Bush/Clinton speak there?

jzuena

macrumors 65816
Feb 21, 2007
Never! We love the Queen:eek:

And pfft, it's not cold here. I'm in Ottawa and we didn't see any temps much below 25-30 this winter. Further north, maybe but that area is only fit for moose and hardy souls with bushy beards.

Since you use the metric system in Canada, those temps sound pretty good for the summer, let alone the winter! :D

I know a few Canadians and they are all nice people. The Canadiens on the other hand (along with their fans) can go f*** themselves (thankfully, the Bruins will put them out of their misery tonight).

No1451

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Ottawa you say? I live in Carleton Place and go to Algonquin. Small world eh?

Gloucester area for me, also going to Algonquin! Gonna be there for final exam this afternoon:(

You kidding me, in Cornwall it was like -12 for 3 days straight.

Lol forgot a negative sign, and that's Celsius:p Same to you guy above me!

Canadians are also a hell of a lot better educated and smarter than we are. The accents are sexy too. :) I love it up there, and hope to retire to Canada when I'm able.

Sexy accents? I gotta find me some ladies who agree with you Leek:p

strik

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2009
Canada
Canadian here who's travelled to many, many places in the US. Many times topic of being Canadian came up and talked about Canada.

Most friendliest place has to be in Georgia... (Can't remember what city I was in) So many people that were so friendly.

Least friendly place would be in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania. Don't know what it was, but so many people we bumped into were very unfriendly.

Oh, and I went to Columbus, Ohio for a soccer game with Toronto FC. They didn't like us very much in Columbus. :D

keekl

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2008
PA
I think of Canada as the quiet neighbor next door that sits on his back porch with a bottle of Moosehead and bothers no one...

strik

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2009
Canada

Ha ha... I find it so funny to think of Canadian's having an accent. Newfoundland accents... not sure how sexy they are.

Accents certainly vary in the States more so than Canada. I have several uncles in New Jersey. There accent is so distinct. Southern accents sound so funny to me. Was in Mexico for holidays and went on an excursion with a nice couple from Texas. Was the most Southern drawl I've ever heard... didn't think there was actually people who talked like that. :) I tease, they were very nice.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
There's a difference between American and Canadian accents?
:eek:
The other day in the bank I was talking to an American… turned out he's Canadian. I really couldn't tell the difference. Mind, he didn't say "eh" at all…

:D:D

The differences between Canadians and our Southern Cousins can be quite subtle (I'm speaking of the people, not culture or country).... and yet....The funny thing is, Canadians are quite tuned in to those differences. Put a bunch of Canadians and Americans in social setting, and most Canadians I know will quickly figure out which side of the border people come from with 80% or 90% accuracy (thats even excluding Quebeckies). However, 90% of the Americans, in my experience, will be surprised to find that there were Canadians in the room.

Q: How do you keep a bunch of Canadians quiet for 30 minutes?
A: Put 'em in a line.

Q: How do you keep a bunch of Canadians quiet for 60 minutes?
A: Put a sign at the head of line that says "Open Soon".

From personal experience - JFK airport checkin counter at 6 am.

Q: What do you say to bunch of loud, unruly Canadians to get them out of the pool?
A: Please get out of the pool.

CBC radio (our national public broadcaster, sometimes known as the Mother Corp.) once held a contest to complete the phrase " As Canadian as ... ?"

The winning entry: "As Canadian as possible, under the circumstances."

Hope I haven't given away any state secrets, there's a Mountie that just parked across the street.

:D

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Thats the funny thing. The differences between Canadians and our Southern Cousins can be quite subtle…
If you lot on both sides of the border have trouble distinguishing what hope for the rest of us living across the ocean! :D

Next time I'm unsure I'll just ask them to line up in a queue. ;)

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
There's a difference between American and Canadian accents?
:eek:
The other day in the bank I was talking to an American… turned out he's Canadian. I really couldn't tell the difference. Mind, he didn't say "eh" at all…

:D:D

Yes- the say "aboot" instead of "about" and "oot" instead of "out". Some Canadians have stronger accents than others. And may do say "Eh".

aloofman

macrumors 68020
Dec 17, 2002
Socal
The truth is most people in Europe actually respected the US and viewed them as a world power until G.W Bush got into power...

Not true. Even when being respected, the US has provoked resentment simply by being throwing its weight around. Anyone who thinks that GWB caused it is being naive. Made it worse, yes; caused it, no.

I believe it was Jacques Chirac who said in the 1990s that the position of "leader of the free world" is vacant.

I know Canada is the only country to burn down the white house (war of 1812, check it out).

p.s. I'm Canadian :D

Technically, it was the British, since all Canadians were Brits at the time. But we'll let you take credit if you want to. :p

I think Canada is great. They've gone a lot further than the US to protect it's beauty...

That's true, but I wouldn't say "a lot further". The US pioneered many methods of land conservation. And the US does have almost ten times more people on less land. It's much easier to protect land that has no people on it.

Since you use the metric system in Canada, those temps sound pretty good for the summer, let alone the winter! :D

I know a few Canadians and they are all nice people. The Canadiens on the other hand (along with their fans) can go f*** themselves (thankfully, the Bruins will put them out of their misery tonight).

The metric system makes so much more sense that it's embarrassing that we don't bother to use it.

I've held a grudge against the Canadiens ever since they beat my LA Kings in the 1993 Stanley Cup finals. But I don't hold it against the Canadians.

Seriously, it's bizarre to me that the OP has heard so many bad things. My experience has been that most Americans don't think about Canadians one way or the other. In fact, I'll bet their worst offense has been that they were unaware of how many Canadians they've met. Sure, there are the occasional jokes about igloos or saying "eh" all the time, but I've never heard of actual hostility. Perhaps it's because I've lived my whole life near Los Angeles (which has so many Canadian transplants), and work for a company that has so many that I wonder if Canada is desperate for workers in my company's industry.

I think that, while Canada and Mexico are very different countries, they do have one thing in common: they both benefit and bristle over being next to the United States. But let's put it this way, at the end of the day, both countries have a much nicer neighbor than most countries on earth. And the US can say the same.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
If you lot on both sides of the border have trouble distinguishing what hope for the rest of us living across the ocean! :D

Next time I'm unsure I'll just ask them to line up in a queue. ;)

[humour]
Yeah, the Americans will ask what a queue is, and the Canadians will start working out who entered the room in what order.
[/humour]

northernmunky

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2007
London, Taipei
As an American (I live in Arkansas, btw), I think Canada should be invaded ASAP. Too many natural resources in the hands of funny-talkin', French-lovin' weirdos.

Seriously, I think it's a fine country. It certainly is beautiful. I wouldn't mind living there if immigration wasn't such a pain...

Well you did plan to invade Canada during WWII and take over before (Circa 1942):
http://history.sandiego.edu/gen/maps/1900s/1942world4000.jpg

(check out the large lettered 'UNITED STATES OF AMERICA' banner plastered all over Canada and Greenland!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.