Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Malamutt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
So after reading the threads here I contacted State Farm and asked my local agent if they insured the iPhone. The answer was "Yes" as long as you already had another policy with them.

So two weeks ago I decided to insure my iPhone. $30 for 1 year. Pretty damn good deal. No deductible, covered loss, theft, etc etc...

Yesterday I receieved a letter in snail mail stating that they were cancelling my policy because they do not cover "cell phones"

Anyone else get their iPhone insured with State Farm have this happen to them?

:apple:Malamutt

Rooskibar03

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2007
State of Denial
So after reading the threads here I contacted State Farm and asked my local agent if they insured the iPhone. The answer was "Yes" as long as you already had another policy with them.

So two weeks ago I decided to insure my iPhone. $30 for 1 year. Pretty damn good deal. No deductible, covered loss, theft, etc etc...

Yesterday I receieved a letter in snail mail stating that they were cancelling my policy because they do not cover "cell phones"

This sux. You are like the 5th person with SF and my agent totally claims no cell coverage anymore. I have 5 friggen policies with them too..

Sobe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2007
Wash DC suburbs
I was told no by state farm as well.

In my situation, they had a $1000 limit for personal property so they said they couldn't do it.

Angelo921

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2007
This sux. You are like the 5th person with SF and my agent totally claims no cell coverage anymore. I have 5 friggen policies with them too..

I have my iPhone insured with state farm and did not receive any such letter, in fact I spoke to my agent yesterday on another issue and he never said anything about it either.

Speedracer04

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
I have my policy in hand, $30/year, no deductable. Specifically states its a cellphone coverage (personal artifacts plan).

I have no previous policys with them.

mpuck972

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2007
I have both my iPhone and my Dell laptop individually insured on different 'personal property' policies. This is an agent by agent decission, maybe call a few others in the area until you find one willing to do it?

I also have my truck, motorcycle, and renters insurance through my agent, so maybe they base it on how reliable they feel the policy will be. I'm sure they have some sort of percentage scale they work off of to determine how likely someone will be to file a claim, and then they go by that.

theDUB

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2008
SLT, CA
...I contacted State Farm and asked my local agent if they insured the iPhone. The answer was "Yes"...
Yesterday I receieved a letter in snail mail stating that they were cancelling my policy because they do not cover "cell phones"...

I would call that agent back and say WTF?

jason72780

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2008
Orange County, CA
I had a policy with them and broke my iphone's screen a few months later. I filed my claim and they sent me the payment, and then cancelled my policy. It was still good to have it for the time i did. I wish i still had it.

Aaleck

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2007
Michigan, USA
haha, I didn't know state farm covered/covers iPhones... will have to look into that. Only question I have is what happens if something happened to it? Would you get the full price back for the phone, a repalcement? Or...?

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
I was told by my agent that they recently stopped covering iPhones due to large number of fraudulent claims :mad: My phones were covered, now they are not.

jason72780

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2008
Orange County, CA
haha, I didn't know state farm covered/covers iPhones... will have to look into that. Only question I have is what happens if something happened to it? Would you get the full price back for the phone, a repalcement? Or...?

They cut me a check for the early upgrade ($399 + tax) and had me show them that I had gotten a new phone

hobblyjig

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2010
insurance no more

I just tried to get insurance on my iPhone 4 with state farm. The agent told me that it was all set up but then when they sent the paperwork in to have it underwritten it was denied.

State farm no longer insures any cell phones :(

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
State Farm is doing you a favor. Always a bad idea to insure through a company if you have another policy (car/homeowner insurance) with them, because a claim will count toward the other policy and you'll get dropped.

Either self-insure or get a dedicated insurance.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State

They may have not realized State Farm stopped covering cellphones. They covered my old iphone but according to my agent, I think in either March or May they got a memo saying they no longer were going to insure cellphones. My previous iphone was still covered cause it got grandfathered in (though not sure if I had kept it if they would allow me to re-insure it when the policy time period ended).

I was very sad to hear this :(. At least they'll still insure my new laptop :).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.