Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tast01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
Im looking for a cheap (200 or less) firewire/usb audio interface to record simple guitar and vocal tracks on my MBP. I only require this to record simple guitar/vocal tracks and no more (2 channels max). Any suggestions that work well with garageband?

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
I've always had good luck with m-audio stuff (and i've always had big issues with presonus)

EDIT:
Firewire 410
or
Firewire Solo

The 410 is going to be better, but it might just be out of your price range...
But for a $50 difference in MSRP, i'd say its worth it...

EDIT2:
Sorry, the 410 is $150 more ... i would look into the Solo and see if it fits your needs..

tast01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
I assume most audio interfaces are compatible with Garage Band, does M-Audio generally work well garage band?

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
I assume most audio interfaces are compatible with Garage Band, does M-Audio generally work well garage band?

i don't use or have garage band, but i have every reason to believe that it would work perfect with it (or any other program)

but to be safe, you could read the manual or find out whats compatible or not ..

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
haha... but...

edirol all the way man - you can check out stuff from m audio but edirol has some great interfaces - and don't worry about the USB vs Firewire stuff. you can stream 16 tracks of audio from the edirol interface i use... i don't see ever needing more than that at one time unless you are a hack

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
haha... but...

edirol all the way man - you can check out stuff from m audio but edirol has some great interfaces - and don't worry about the USB vs Firewire stuff. you can stream 16 tracks of audio from the edirol interface i use... i don't see ever needing more than that at one time unless you are a hack

cause all pro's the use more than 16 channels at a time are hacks?

marioman38

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
Long Beach, CA
I was in the EXACT same boat as you. I looked at the M-Audio stuff, the Presonus Firebox, and the Ediro FA-66. I landed on the E-Mu 0404 USB. I like the idea of it being USB because apple is dropping FW on their models slowly but surely. Future proof, and gives me a greater choice in laptops during my next purchace, I won't be forced, or limited to only the "Pro". USB is perfectly fine for recording its max of 4 tracks at a time. It IS USB 2.0 watch out for others that are USB 1.1 like the edirol UA-25 if it doesn't specifically say it is 2.0 it's not.

Benguitar

Jan 30, 2009
M-Audio Fast Track

[link]

I used the $99.99 model and it was an "okay" starter interface, now I use an Apogee Duet (SO much better)

But this $199.99 Fast Track will probably serve you pretty well.

Thomas2222

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2009
Apogee Duet Defective, Noisy, lots of Hiss when recording

I would strongly advise against the Apogee Duet.

Google (or search these forums) for "Apogee Duet Noise" or "Apogee Duet Hiss" to read the horror stories.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.