Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

srobert

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 7, 2002
According to this guy, they are.

Extract from the article:

Astronomer Philip Plait is tired of radio personality Richard Hoagland's claims. He's had enough of Hoagland's assertions that NASA (news - web sites) is covering up evidence of extraterrestrial life, that the infamous Face on Mars was built by sentient aliens and, of late, that otherworldly machine parts are embedded in the red planet's dirt.

—> Click ME to see whole article <—

This is the face the guy is talking about (Vicking Orbiter 1, 1976):

t-face-on-mars.jpg

and here is a more recent (better rez) picture of the same area:

mgs_cydonia3.gif

This is all too funny. Especially the stove part. ^_^

Ha ha ha... and you gotta read Plait's article. I like this guy:

—>Click ME to read Plait's article <—

face_440_hilite_inset_sm.jpg

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I find it interesting that humans always try to make sense of any unusual object. The use of the human face is the most common. I find myself doing the same thing. It's especially done in space. I even tend to do the same thing looking at some houses, when the end faces toward the the street. In my mind I can see eyes, nose, and a mouth.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Wow, that's great. Nothing more fun than seeing people use a modicum of scientific knowledge to rip apart pesudo-scientists and conspiracy-theory quacks.

This isn't, of course, to imply that there's nothing mysterious in the universe, or that there aren't real conspiracies--there are plenty of both, and anyone who says science, in its current state, can explain everything is dumber than the quacks.

But people who are so desperate to believe that the government is covering up evidence of alien life on other planets (but is stupid enough to release a picture of it in the first place!) are just begging for a good mental whuppin'. Sure, NASA grumbles and moans to get a few hundred million dollars to get a tiny rover to Mars, and the government is hiding all that ancient civilization stuff from us because they... uh.... they want to use it for future X-Files epsiode materials or something. And they waited 20 years to come up with any funding to send somebody there to look at it.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
actually the govt is hiding evidence of other superior life forms that are as advance to us as we are to monkeys. but faces seen in clouds or mountain ranges aint it. look into closer history such as foo fighters of WW2 or Rosweld or the shaberham incident in england in the 80s. there is something going on and there is nothing govt can do about it but cover it up. thats why when people see faces in a inanimate object they are fast to point to govt lies. we are and have been visited but they are not interested in making contact on our terms. we are simply being studied and watched and they have noticed our nuclear installations on more then 1 occasion. we are still primitives and the endless killing on this planet proves it everyday.

Inspector Lee

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2004
East Lansing, MI
Dont Hurt Me said:
look into closer history such as foo fighters of WW2...

There is a great read out there called Projekt Genesis by a guy named Harbinson, I think, about Nazi airforce technology during WWII and UFOs. In a matter of a couple of years, they went from being 10 years behind the world to ten years ahead in aerial technology. I think the code name for the foo fighters was Feuerballs - they looked like Xmas ornaments and there is supposedly documentation that these unmanned crafts would buzz US planes and knock out all communications and controls for brief periods of time.

One of the pillars of Harbinson's theory is Antarctica and Heinrich Himmler's vision of Fire and Ice. Evidently, the Nazis spent a great deal of time and resources mapping and exploring Antarctica during WWII. With their penchant for vast underground labyrinths (Antarctica is supposedly not all ice), coupled with a superior aerial technology (foo fighters), there exists a line of thinking (albeit conspiratorial to some people) that UFOs are actually Nazi in origin.

There also exists a buzz about an Admiral Byrd and his recon mission to Anarctica in the late 40s/early 50s in which something like 1,000 US men lost their lives. Must have been some storm.

Harbinson also points out "The Great Airship Scare of the 1890s" in which there were dozen upon dozen of eyewitness accounts (supposedly) in which large saucers were landing on farms in the Great Plains (specifically Iowa) and Americans were getting out and asking the farmers for water. There exists a common theme to all of these "visits" in that a man named "Wilson" always introduced himself to the farmers. And this was 20 years before the Wright Brothers. I have access to a $hitload of American newspapers on microfilm dating back 100 plus years here on campus but haven't really done any digging. However, if I were to dig and not find anything, does that mean it didn't happen?

This guy Wilson was evidently an aerospace wiz who was snubbed by big US corporations in the 1920s - all apparently relating to his saucers and/or foo fighters technology. And it is extremely interesting that an American named "Wilson" with aerospace expertise defected to Nazi Germany in the mid 1930s. Supposedly.

However, there is no mention of any of this in William Shirer's 1500+page "The Rise and Fall of The Third Reich" - which I highly recommend.

I. Lee

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
Dont Hurt Me said:
actually the govt is hiding evidence of other superior life forms......
Actually, that's crap.

Dont Hurt Me said:
.....we are and have been visited but they are not interested in making contact on our terms. we are simply being studied and watched........
Anti-social miscreants! How DARE they!

Dont Hurt Me said:
we are still primitives and the endless killing on this planet proves it everyday
Now THAT I agree with!

I HAVE PROOF HUGH HEFNER HAS VISITED MARS! Check out this pic from the NASA Mars Rover site at
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/spotlight/opportunity/b19_20040304.html

Krizoitz

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
Dont Hurt Me said:
actually the govt is hiding evidence of other superior life forms that are as advance to us as we are to monkeys. but faces seen in clouds or mountain ranges aint it. look into closer history such as foo fighters of WW2 or Rosweld or the shaberham incident in england in the 80s. there is something going on and there is nothing govt can do about it but cover it up. thats why when people see faces in a inanimate object they are fast to point to govt lies. we are and have been visited but they are not interested in making contact on our terms. we are simply being studied and watched and they have noticed our nuclear installations on more then 1 occasion. we are still primitives and the endless killing on this planet proves it everyday.

because as we all know the gov't does sucha fantastic job of cover ups...heck they can't even keep an intern quiet, and you expect them to be able to hide an entire alien civilization, which only our country knows about? You don't think someone else (i.e. China) would leak it? Or is this some vast global conspiracy where the world is being run by a small group of people and all this darn war stuff, nationalism etc. is just a ploy. The problem with conspiracy theories, as fun as they are to imagine is they are just too complex. I'm going to stick with the simpler theory that mars isn't home to some ancient race for now, until someone presents me with evidence otherwise it seems like a waste of time to assume vast gov't conspiracies...

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
my earlier post of foo fighters was referring to objects American pilots saw during WW2, they werent german products because the germans were reporting them also. the Germans thought it was us, we thought it was them so then who was it? these objects were reported by both sides doing things no aircraft technology even today could accomplish. Rendlesham incident is another interesting read of something going on at a nuclear installation.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
We seem to find it very easy to dismiss all ufo sightings, in the 50s they were spotted above our capital for about 2 weeks. these objects were seen with the eyes of locals as well as radar. we scrambled fighters but everytime they tried these things would vanish only to reappear when the fighters left. these are very well documented in the local papers of the time. project blue book was started shortly afterwards but project bluebooks focus was to debunk all sightings. In otherwords if we just keep spinning this soon everyone will forget or be branded a loony toon. they spun this as a temp inversion on radar only you cant see a temp inversion with your own eyes. the public bought this nonsense. even in Rendlesham the British Govt has come out years afterwards and said something was going on. The U.S govt? not a word. even when the base commander submitted what happen they ignored this officially. all documents and even the daily log for those few days disappeared. if any of you were in the military you then know these logs are official records of the days/weeks/months events. they have to be kept. interesting how stuff like this allways comes up missing. The U.S was able to keep the bomb secret during WW2. they would be able to keep this kind of thing secret and if not spin and make those that come out look like fools and drunken sailors. this is what they have done. Gordy Cooper one of the original mercury 7 astronauts was testing a experimental fighter in the late 50s. while prepping his craft a ufo came down landed and the took off in plain site of his film crew who were going to film the jet. Gordy Cooper sent this film to the pentagon as duty required. he never heard or saw of it again. If you think our govt cant keep a secret when it wants then you are sadly mistaken. UFO's are above top secret since they carry technology that makes our stuff look like knives and stones. They have been seen by scientist,radar operators,military gun camera's from WW2,pilots,astronauts,PHDs,common folks and even Presidents. Dont be so fast to dismiss afterall until just yesterday we thought there were only 9 planets in the solar system. today we know there are 10.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Dont Hurt Me said:
We seem to find it very easy to dismiss all ufo sightings, in the 50s they were spotted above our capital for about 2 weeks. these objects were seen with the eyes of locals as well as radar. we scrambled fighters but everytime they tried these things would vanish only to reappear when the fighters left. these are very well documented in the local papers of the time. project blue book was started shortly afterwards but project bluebooks focus was to debunk all sightings. In otherwords if we just keep spinning this soon everyone will forget or be branded a loony toon. they spun this as a temp inversion on radar only you cant see a temp inversion with your own eyes. the public bought this nonsense. even in Rendlesham the British Govt has come out years afterwards and said something was going on. The U.S govt? not a word. even when the base commander submitted what happen they ignored this officially. all documents and even the daily log for those few days disappeared. if any of you were in the military you then know these logs are official records of the days/weeks/months events. they have to be kept. interesting how stuff like this allways comes up missing. The U.S was able to keep the bomb secret during WW2. they would be able to keep this kind of thing secret and if not spin and make those that come out look like fools and drunken sailors. this is what they have done. Gordy Cooper one of the original mercury 7 astronauts was testing a experimental fighter in the late 50s. while prepping his craft a ufo came down landed and the took off in plain site of his film crew who were going to film the jet. Gordy Cooper sent this film to the pentagon as duty required. he never heard or saw of it again. If you think our govt cant keep a secret when it wants then you are sadly mistaken. UFO's are above top secret since they carry technology that makes our stuff look like knives and stones. They have been seen by scientist,radar operators,military gun camera's from WW2,pilots,astronauts,PHDs,common folks and even Presidents. Dont be so fast to dismiss afterall until just yesterday we thought there were only 9 planets in the solar system. today we know there are 10.
I have one word for you: formatting. I'm sure what you're saying is at least mostly right, but I can't read it :confused:

Oh, and btw, some of us still use knives and stones ;)

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
I should use paragraphs also. oh well. I think we know Mars had water and with it im sure came the lowest forms of life. I doubt there was enough time for it to move up the ladder. we Humans think we are so damn smart yet just 500 years ago the world was flat,100 years ago the notion of flying was thought impossible, 70 years later we were on the moon. we have a lot to learn.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Dont Hurt Me said:
I should use paragraphs also.
I do it too on occasion.
oh well. I think we know Mars had water and with it im sure came the lowest forms of life. I doubt there was enough time for it to move up the ladder. we Humans think we are so damn smart yet just 500 years ago the world was flat,100 years ago the notion of flying was thought impossible, 70 years later we were on the moon. we have a lot to learn.
Actually, Da Vinci had drawings of flying machines, so not everyone thought it was impossible, just the overwhelming majority 101[/1] years ago. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.