Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mord

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 24, 2003
UK
I have a budget of around £200 can stretch to 250 but thats it

I'm starting my apple cert. training soon so need something to play with (cant really do that on a cube or an ibook)

i was looking at a b&w but the lack of agp annoys me.

dose anyone know of a good place to pick up macs that cheap (no ebay my dad dosn't trust it (loot is decent but all the stuff go's quikly)?

ideally a sawtooth and proccessor speed dosent matter that much because i'll be puting an upgrade in there as soon as i have the £

(a 100mhz sys bus would be good cause i could put the old 128 dimms from my cube in there)

(I have a monitor and all the other stuff)
(no us suggestions the shiping is insane)
(anyone taken a tower with them on a plane I know someone thats coming over soon)

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
There is nothing wrong with ebay if you can buy the stuff by Paypal and use a credit card. Then if the goods dont arrive after a certain date, just phone up the credit card company and they will give you the money back.

Mord

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 24, 2003
UK
tell that to my dad I have no issues with ebay

He basicly wants a warrenty on it.

Mord

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 24, 2003
UK
i know both of those places the beige g3 looks tempting from tscmacs

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Hector said:
i was looking at a b&w but the lack of agp annoys me.

I doubt you can get a sawtooth in your budget. besides, if you stick to games under os9 the blue and white is fine. its graphics slot is essentially agp 1x. all agp speeds/slots are based on an accelerated 66mhz pci port. the blue and white has a 66mhz pci slot (95% of pci slots are only 33mhz) but it is not doubled like agp x2. think of it this way also... double rated speed never is double the speed anyway. not with ATA/66 - ATA/133 or ddr ram or anything that claims this.

I wanted to add that if you get a blue tower make sure its a rev. B. to be sure just open it up and see if there is a dual HD bracket at the bottom/back.
here is more info about how to tell them apart: http://xlr8yourmac.com/G3-ZONE/yosemite/newfeatures.html

main reason to get the rev. B is that its ata bus has no issues with more than one drive on it. with a rev. A you're pretty much forced to get an ata pci card. to use 2 drives. another cool thing is that the rev. B has a rage 128 that runs 25mhz faster.

Mord

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 24, 2003
UK
the reason i want agp is because i have a radeon 8500 kicking around and i want to put some use to it

I hate the way that macs hold there value so much

ingenious

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2004
Washington, D.C.
TDT said:
I read that at first.....and thought you said "I need a shower", and I was going to agree...lmao

:p

thats strange! thats seriously what i read too! MAN! can smell him all the way in the midwest! ( no i am not a hick :mad: )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.