Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Intel Inside

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
Hello everyone,

A few friends and i are wanting to make a short film. We have gotten a teacher onboard with us to help (she teaches media studies)

Our equipment time etc:
-1 to 2 Cameras to use (depending on how nice the IT technician is)
-About 14 hours to shoot it in, can be stretched a bit more if we need it
-iMac with iMovie to edit it
-Our school campus to shoot it on (its quite large)
-Actors, ages ranging from 11 to 16

To conclude, i am asking for any story lines or ideas which we will be able to make with the resources we have. Thanks you in advance.

Peace out

Catonow

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2007
USA
I think you've gotten no replies thus far because it is such a broad question. You might as well ask people if they have any ideas for a novel, or a painting. Individual tastes vary so widely. (Besides, really good ideas are pretty rare, and who wants to give them up so easily?)

Perhaps you should start off by narrowing down your criteria a little more. What genre do you want to do? A comedy? A drama? Action? Horror? Also, what are some of your favorite movies? Maybe you could do a spoof? (That's a very popular short film concept.)

Another idea: Maybe you and your colleagues could generate a few ideas, and then post them here and let people vote for their favorites.

But ultimately, you should make the film you want to make. If it's an idea that comes from you, and you're passionate about it, then you're more likely to make a good film. Good luck.

Intel Inside

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
Hey, thanks for that :)

We have a drama/reality idea, and one of them is as follows.
This is an idea in the basic stages, and it starts with a person on the edge of committing suicide. Then it goes into flash backs of all their good memories. We are still deciding what we are going to do for the ending, if they commit suicide or not. Or we might not have an ending and leave that to the audience

What are your opinions, ideas to add, constructive criticism?
thanks again!

MacHipster

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Chicago/London/Sydney
Hey, thanks for that :)

We have a drama/reality idea, and one of them is as follows.
This is an idea in the basic stages, and it starts with a person on the edge of committing suicide. Then it goes into flash backs of all their good memories. We are still deciding what we are going to do for the ending, if they commit suicide or not. Or we might not have an ending and leave that to the audience

What are your opinions, ideas to add, constructive criticism?
thanks again!

Sounds like every other student short film. Try to avoid these student film cliches: suicide, rape, murder, gun violence, the mafia, relationship breakups, drug abuse.

Intel Inside

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
MacHipster, you have any good ideas (Trying to say this in a nice way if you know what i mean?)

MacHipster

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Chicago/London/Sydney
MacHipster, you have any good ideas (Trying to say this in a nice way if you know what i mean?)

The best films are personal ones. That's why writing instructors tell their students to "write what you know". The problem with this is that teens and young adults, generally, haven't experienced enough of life.

Think of a tragedy in your life that affected you personally. If you can't come up with anything, newspapers and magazines are ripe with short story ideas.

iPhoneNYC

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2007
The whole point of making a short film is to put your ideas into motion. Try not to rely on others for your ideas - rely on yourself. Having said that, film is a collaborative medium - talk with your group. Ispire yourself!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.