Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whimaway

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Kentuck
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but this seemed right.

Anyways, I recently got a MacBook for my birthday. I know how to use the computer, but I'm just wondering what the best cases are. Preferably I would like to use a hard case and a hard case only. I have been eying this one in particular:
Speck MacBook See Thru Hard Case

I just wanted to know what the best protection is. Is a soft better than a hard case? I don't want my mac to get scratched up by the hard case or anything. Are there any better hard cases than the Speck one? So if anyone has an option and such please share it. TIA!

P.S. I'll probably be traveling on airplanes and cars with this computer and taking it around a college campus as well.

whimaway

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Kentuck
thanks cymrulp :)

i really want a green one, hndn, and that's like 10 dollars more. are incase any better than the speck? i had one of their soft covers once.

hndn

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2009
thanks cymrulp :)

i really want a green one, hndn, and that's like 10 dollars more. are incase any better than the speck? i had one of their soft covers once.
I have the soft cover too. About Speck, my classmate has the clear one & I could see scratches, looks sooo ugly :) I'm not sure about the other colors though. You should visit Apple store, look at the incase & compare. I like its design.
By the way, last weekend I visited a friend, near a TJMax (Huntington Beach CA & saw it there for 14.99 but no size.
Have fun with your choice.

sn00pie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
United States
I really want to upgrade to a black Speck hardshell case for my whitebook. I currently just toss it in a notebook sleeve whenever I'm on the go.

My whitebook will become a blackbook :p

Illicit

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I really want to upgrade to a black Speck hardshell case for my whitebook. I currently just toss it in a notebook sleeve whenever I'm on the go.

My whitebook will become a blackbook :p

Good choice in going with Speck. Also comes in handy if you like to take out the battery while on A/C power and are worried about things getting into the open compartment.
My Speck case has saved my baby from dents and bruises while in my briefcase many times.

J.711

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2009
Dubizzle
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but this seemed right.

Anyways, I recently got a MacBook for my birthday. I know how to use the computer, but I'm just wondering what the best cases are. Preferably I would like to use a hard case and a hard case only. I have been eying this one in particular:
Speck MacBook See Thru Hard Case

I just wanted to know what the best protection is. Is a soft better than a hard case? I don't want my mac to get scratched up by the hard case or anything. Are there any better hard cases than the Speck one? So if anyone has an option and such please share it. TIA!

P.S. I'll probably be traveling on airplanes and cars with this computer and taking it around a college campus as well.

Don't get the See Thru. Being a plastic glossy finish, it'll get scratched super easy! Go for the Speck See thru satin. Once again, Speck rules.. but this material feels really good, and it's extremely durable and very good against scratches. Mind you it'll add a bit of wait to your macbook, but since you travel a lot you're gonna love it. You tube it to see how sexy it looks ;)

whimaway

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Kentuck
Don't get the See Thru. Being a plastic glossy finish, it'll get scratched super easy! Go for the Speck See thru satin. Once again, Speck rules.. but this material feels really good, and it's extremely durable and very good against scratches. Mind you it'll add a bit of wait to your macbook, but since you travel a lot you're gonna love it. You tube it to see how sexy it looks ;)

Ooh thanks for the tip! I don't think I'll mind the weight, since I used to have a bigger heavier notebook anyways. I can't seem to find this in green, but it is sexy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptEmBzHl6oo

Ahhh now I really want to buy this, lol. I just amazoned it and it says it's all for 13 inch alum unibody. Will that still fit on a white 13 inch?

jtibbitt

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2009
For best protection, get a hard shell outer casing (e.g. Speck or Incase) and a thin film cover (e.g. Bodyguardz). Bodyguardz is nice it comes with pieces to cover every part of the computer. Apply the film all over the computer, then put on the outer casing.

A while back I used a hard shell casing (Speck) with my white Macbook. It ended up scratching the computer. I'm not sure if they will do that for the Aluminum Macbooks, but this method is a fail-safe. I cover my new Aluminum Macbook with Bodyguardz and Incase.

rd261

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2007
I have the speck hard case for my black macbook. It will protect it quite well, but the negative side is that it will make it heavier and not as sexy. Also after a few weeks it will be full of tiny scratches which means that it is doing its job but is not pretty. If I had to chose again I would probably go with the incase one, mainly because it looks cooler and the texture is better IMO.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
I have the Speck for my Aluminum Macbook and my wife has the Incase brand and I think the Incase one is much better. You can find them for the same price on Ebay and Amazon if you look.
With either one I don't think it makes it that much bigger or adds any noticeable weight.

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
I have the Speck for my Aluminum Macbook and my wife has the Incase brand and I think the Incase one is much better. You can find them for the same price on Ebay and Amazon if you look.
With either one I don't think it makes it that much bigger or adds any noticeable weight.

speck makes a beautiful hard shell case. i REALLY need to get one

whimaway

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Kentuck
OK, so I still want a green speck case, but my mom is paying for this, and she says that she is only going to buy a neoprene sleeve because that will protect the laptop if it should ever happen to fall. Does the hard case offer any protection from a fall? Perhaps if I can prove that it does she'll change her mind.

Then again, the more I think about it, the sleeve seems like the best way to go. I can get a pocket and a cool design, without risking scratches (I am not good about cleaning/dusting things) and can protect the hardrive.

A cute one I found:
http://www.amazon.com/GYMSPacific-MacBook-Poppy-Sleeve-13/dp/B000IJQ0Z2/ref=pd_sim_e_24

It'd be nice to have a pocket though like:
http://www.amazon.com/Mobile-Edge-13-3-Inch-Neoprene-Notebook/dp/B000QAUGO4/ref=pd_sbs_e_6
or
http://www.amazon.com/Case-Logic-Black-Student-Shuttle/dp/B000EPFG6Y/ref=pd_sim_e_4

But would my charger and say a UIB or CD really scratch up my macbook if I threw it in the case in a ziploc baggie? Is there anything in particular I need to look out for when buying a sleeve?

Thanks in advance for answering any of these questions. :)

hndn

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2009
OK, so I still want a green speck case, but my mom is paying for this, and she says that she is only going to buy a neoprene sleeve because that will protect the laptop if it should ever happen to fall. Does the hard case offer any protection from a fall? Perhaps if I can prove that it does she'll change her mind.

Then again, the more I think about it, the sleeve seems like the best way to go. I can get a pocket and a cool design, without risking scratches (I am not good about cleaning/dusting things) and can protect the hardrive.

A cute one I found:
http://www.amazon.com/GYMSPacific-MacBook-Poppy-Sleeve-13/dp/B000IJQ0Z2/ref=pd_sim_e_24

It'd be nice to have a pocket though like:
http://www.amazon.com/Mobile-Edge-13-3-Inch-Neoprene-Notebook/dp/B000QAUGO4/ref=pd_sbs_e_6
or
http://www.amazon.com/Case-Logic-Black-Student-Shuttle/dp/B000EPFG6Y/ref=pd_sim_e_4

But would my charger and say a UIB or CD really scratch up my macbook if I threw it in the case in a ziploc baggie? Is there anything in particular I need to look out for when buying a sleeve?

Thanks in advance for answering any of these questions. :)
Incase sleeve.

whimaway

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Kentuck

hndn

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2009

hellfire88

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2008
If you are looking for *some* protection from drops etc., you may want to consider the Shinza Zeroshock III sleeves:

http://shinza.com/product_info.php?cPath=5_10_15&products_id=75

I don't own a Zeroshock III but I had one of the original ones for an older laptop and it seems quite protective. Those incase sleeves probably won't protect much for a drop, but these Zeroshocks will protect a bit better.

Of course, I'd recommend to try not to drop your Macbook at all if you can, but in case something happens I think the Zeroshock III will protect better than an incase sleeve. They are quite pricey though w/shipping from that site. If you don't mind eBay theres a few on there that go for like $35 shipped or so. Available in black/white/orange.

whimaway

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Kentuck
How about protection quality?

Yeah, it looks like there's enough padding. I read a review where someone's laptop fell off their moving car in one of these cases, and the computer still worked afterwards!

rpang

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2009
So Cal...
If you are looking for *some* protection from drops etc., you may want to consider the Shinza Zeroshock III sleeves:

http://shinza.com/product_info.php?cPath=5_10_15&products_id=75

I don't own a Zeroshock III but I had one of the original ones for an older laptop and it seems quite protective. Those incase sleeves probably won't protect much for a drop, but these Zeroshocks will protect a bit better.

Of course, I'd recommend to try not to drop your Macbook at all if you can, but in case something happens I think the Zeroshock III will protect better than an incase sleeve. They are quite pricey though w/shipping from that site. If you don't mind eBay theres a few on there that go for like $35 shipped or so. Available in black/white/orange.

Highly recommend Zeroshock. I've used them for all my previous notebooks.

In any event, dropping your notebook is bad. Hard case, soft case, etc., depending on how high it was dropped, your notebook will still get rattled.

nayr

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2009
Ill agree to everyone suggesting the Speck. I picked up one myself not long ago. Couldn't be happier, there is no doubt that it will get scratched a bit, but that's its job. To protect the notebook.

whimaway

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Kentuck
OK so in the end I went with the colcasac aka apple sac. I really love it! It's so cute and I double I will have any scratches OR damage to the internal mechanisms. Since, I plan to lug it around in a backpack at a college campus, it's perfect. (Plus, my mom paid for it.) Thanks for all the help y'all!

Oh and if anyone wants any more info about the colcasac, I don't mind answering questions.

kjremmy

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2009
My girlfriend wanted the colcasac sleeve for her birthday and while reading reviews I came across a review for Etsy seller bellamela's sleeves. I bought her the kleo sleeve and a matching accessory pouch to carry her charger and mouse in. She really liked it and so did all her friends. I just emailed her and requested a black sleeve for my new unibody macbook. I have to say the quality and price can't be beat!

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=24776474

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.