Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheCheapGeek

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Ok, first off let me say that I am well experienced in normal client operating systems and the nuances that go along with them, but I am a complete novice at anything server related. I signed up for a trial of OS X server and have just completed the installation. I set the system up with a standard configuration and am now trying to dig a little deeper into getting the server to perform as desired.

My primary goal is to have one centralized iTunes media library on the server with iTunes running to feed multiple Apple TV's. I would also like to be able to access my media on my iMac and Macbook around the home network. When accessing the iTunes library I want to have more intereaction than just a normal shared library, I want to be able to sync my iPhone from either client computer, add playlists, rate my content, and purchase new content from the iTunes store. This is simple if only one copy of the library is open at a time, but I want the server copy always open and the clients to be able to open, modify and close the library at their will.

If I can get this to work I will buy a full copy of the server software and never look back. I hope someone has the solution. Thank you

TheCheapGeek

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
It is installed on an old power mac g4. It actually runs great. The only sluggishness to the system is some of leopards fancy graphics.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
What you want to do is not a feature pre-built in any version of OSX.

There are scripts for it though. You don't need server for that.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
afaik, this is not possible. the way iTunes works, you cannot write to the iTunes file from 2 different computers at the same time.

please correct me if i'm wrong, but i've tried this in the past with no success

Doctor Doom

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2008
Castle Doom, Latveria
afaik, this is not possible. the way iTunes works, you cannot write to the iTunes file from 2 different computers at the same time.

please correct me if i'm wrong, but i've tried this in the past with no success

AFAIK thats true. the database file in the iTunes folder corrupts if more than one client has access to it.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
AFAIK thats true. the database file in the iTunes folder corrupts if more than one client has access to it.

yeah, that's what has happened in my experience. i wish it was otherwise, but i'm afraid what the OP wants just cannot happen as of right now.

but if someone finds out how to get to work, please do tell

natebookpro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
Maryland
Why use OS X Server for this? I have the same thing going on and it is just running Leopard. Not being a smart ass, just asking so that I know what Im missing out on.

Apocrathia

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2009
University of South Alabama
you could run mt-daapd which would just allow you to share the library at all times ,but there's no way to have multiple clients with full access to the library at all times. I have my library setup with mt-daapd + afp. I keep my library on the remote share, tied to one system, but multiple systems can access the music at any time, just not modify it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.