Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Simplify Media was one of the early App Store hits, allowing users to stream their entire iTunes music library to their iPhone or iPod touch via Wi-Fi, 3G or EDGE. The application also allowed users to stream from up to 30 of their friends' libraries.

Simplify Media has now released Simplify Music 2.0 [App Store, $2.99], bringing several new features to the application.
- Search: Search by artist, album and title across all connected computers as though it’s one giant library
- Favorites: Tag favorite music on the fly from personal libraries, or those of friends
- Playlists: Create an on-the-fly playlist for later enjoyment right on your phone or touch
- Seek: Use the “scrub bar” to easily move forward or back in a streamed podcast or audio book
While DRM-protected iTunes Store music can only be streamed to other authorized computers and not to the iPhone and iPod touch client, iTunes Plus tracks are available for streaming to any linked device.

Users are also required to install Simplify Media's free software on computers from which they wish to stream music libraries. The software is available for Mac, Windows, and Linux.

Simplify Media 2.0 is available at an introductory price of $2.99 for both new and existing users, and the original version of Simplify Media will continue to be supported for existing users who choose not to upgrade.

Article Link: 'Simplify Music 2.0' Brings Upgrades to Popular iTunes Library Streamer

blazeX999

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2009
Good work

Its great to see an update to the software. The developers of the software do listen to user feedback and implemented features that I requested. Great Job!

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
I can see the people writing reviews for the original Simplify Media (now called "Simplify (Original)" and priced at $3.99 [non-affiliated App Store link]) are starting to give one star and bitching that it's a feature update that should have been given free to existing, paid users of that software.

BlazeX999, are you affiliated with Simplify Media and Zillow by any chance? With a join date the same day of its release and two posts, both being praises of a product and its company, you've got my left eyebrow raised higher than Spock's.

hoonu

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2008
Orange County, CA
I can see the people writing reviews for the original Simplify Media (now called "Simplify (Original)" and priced at $3.99 [non-affiliated App Store link]) are starting to give one star and bitching that it's a feature update that should have been given free to existing, paid users of that software.

BlazeX999, are you affiliated with Simplify Media by any chance? With a join date the same day of its release and only two posts (one being a praise of the company and the product), you've got my left eyebrow raised higher than Spock's.

I have this app and mainly discontinued using it over time because I wanted a search function. Kinda burns I gotta pay $3 to get to search.

Pugpuppydude

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2008
Utah
I agree, this should have been a free upgrade for those of us who have already bought it.
True but they have to make money somehow. For all we know they put a lot of time and money into these updates, and they would be loosing money by offering it as a free upgrade to existing owners. I don't mind paying the money, these updates seem worth it.

iPhoneVic

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2008
Like what you posted BeyondtheTech

Updates are supposed to be Free...if developers want to make money
make a lite version...

Excellerator

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2008
True but they have to make money somehow. For all we know they put a lot of time and money into these updates, and they would be loosing money by offering it as a free upgrade to existing owners. I don't mind paying the money, these updates seem worth it.

I bought the upgrade only because its one of my most used apps.

But on the bright side, notice they changed the name to "Simplify Music" does that mean possibly a "Simplify Video" is on the way?????

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
I bought the upgrade only because its one of my most used apps.

But on the bright side, notice they changed the name to "Simplify Music" does that mean possibly a "Simplify Video" is on the way?????

If anything, to cause less of a stir, they should have NOT used the 2.0 designation. After all, that would be considered a software update of the original.

Had they named it "Simplify Media Pro," I probably wouldn't have blinked, but after spending $3-4 on the original (I can't remember), I can say that it irks me to also pay $3 for a search feature.

Chances are that the original version isn't going to get any software updates, either.

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
I could see why a few people would be pissed but there are also a lot of people who got the app for free when it initially came out including myself. I'm going to get it because the app is worth it especially for the new features.

The way to look at it is that you're not losing any functionality and it is still a great app. I would love the ability to stream video if they make an app for it.

I got a 20,000 song library. Add me: str1f3

Wigletbill

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2003
I use this app every day. I also use the desktop app at the office. I got the first one for free.

I also had some issues with the first release and emailed support and got a prompt reply, fixing the problem.

I am smiling ear to ear right now and would gladly pay $20 for this app.... hell, even more than that.

J

stratmancj

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2007
why is everyone bitching so much about how updates should be free, its rediculious to have to pay $3 for search? support the company! $3 is nothing! they give you free sharing over pc, and ask 3 bucks for a major upgrade to their already awesome app ... next time you get a meal at mcdonalds, think about how you could have bought this app twice

Wigletbill

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2003
why is everyone bitching so much about how updates should be free, its rediculious to have to pay $3 for search? support the company! $3 is nothing! they give you free sharing over pc, and ask 3 bucks for a major upgrade to their already awesome app ... next time you get a meal at mcdonalds, think about how you could have bought this app twice

EXACTLY... it is a full upgrade. I am sure the code is cleaned up a lot and there is a lot more going on under the hood than just a new search function.

I mean, SCREW ADOBE for coming out with CS4 when I paid for CS3!!!

It's three dollars.

rstone3

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2007
Midwest
Probs with the original...

I had the original installed for a while (I got it free) but had huge numbers of network problems / computers unable to see each other, etc. All that went away when I de-installed it. Still not sure if it was the cause.

I suspect that soon iTunes will at least allow in-network streaming to iPhone as it does to other computer clients; a long-ago version even allowed that out of network until it was 'fixed'. This, of course, would not allow streaming over 3G at this point.

At this point, I'm going to avoid this application as above...

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
EXACTLY... it is a full upgrade. I am sure the code is cleaned up a lot and there is a lot more going on under the hood than just a new search function.

It's three dollars.

You let one company or developer slide, you'll find all these other companies and developers doing the same thing eventually, and it'll get ugly. Piracy and jailbreaking is bad enough, let's not give anyone any reason to want to.

Sure, it's 1 app at $2.99. What if 30 developers did it with each of their app over the course of a month or two? Mind you, you may have already spent up to $3.99 for their first versions. $30 x 3 = $90 for the first versions PLUS another $90 for updates?

If Simplify Media was still making money selling their current version at $3.99, I believe their sales would have jumped with these new features, since the original owners would have gotten the free update, showed it off to their friends, updated their reviews, and/or help skyrocket the 2.0 update to a Top List in the App Store.

But, now, all they're doing is burning their current customer base by saying, "Thanks, but pay again."

papiti

macrumors regular
May 28, 2008
Puerto Rico
You let one company or developer slide, you'll find all these other companies and developers doing the same thing eventually, and it'll get ugly. Piracy and jailbreaking is bad enough, let's not give anyone any reason to want to.

Sure, it's 1 app at $2.99. What if 30 developers did it with each of their app over the course of a month or two? Mind you, you may have already spent up to $3.99 for their first versions. $30 x 3 = $90 for the first versions PLUS another $90 for updates?

If Simplify Media was still making money selling their current version at $3.99, I believe their sales would have jumped with these new features, since the original owners would have gotten the free update, showed it off to their friends, updated their reviews, and/or help skyrocket the 2.0 update to a Top List in the App Store.

But, now, all they're doing is burning their current customer base by saying, "Thanks, but pay again."

I Agree. If we let this one pass by, the next upgrades from our paid apps are gonna have to be paid for. So that's double jeopardy. That's not fair at all. If they wanted to add new features to the Simplify Media App, they should have made a new App, with another name, and different features.

Its just the same as copying an App from a developer, adding a little search button and making a profit from it saying its different. PLEASE, its the same application, UPGRADED. They are just trying to pass one by us.

We should all start sending some nasty e-mails to Apple about this. Even if you got it for free at the beginning, more power to you, contact Apple and tell them you have a problem with this.

I know I am contacting them saying that I DO have a problem with this situation1!!!:mad:

papiti

macrumors regular
May 28, 2008
Puerto Rico
OK, I just sent Apple my formal complaint about this Upgrade to the Application. My suggestion is that those of you that agree with me and others that it is not fair to be paying for this upgrade, send a complaint to Apple. The more complaints they get, the more they are gonna place attention to the complaint.:mad:

cmschmidt

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
Say all you want about the developers putting in "so much time to make the app better that you should be glad to buy it over" but any developer can say this. It's ******** to release an app and then 6 months later charge people more money for one new feature. I love the first one, but sure as hell won't pay again for the same ****ing app with search.

jaydaum

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2007
Detroit, Mi
I could see why a few people would be pissed but there are also a lot of people who got the app for free when it initially came out including myself. I'm going to get it because the app is worth it especially for the new features.

The way to look at it is that you're not losing any functionality and it is still a great app. I would love the ability to stream video if they make an app for it.

I got a 20,000 song library. Add me: str1f3

--str1f3---
I will send ya invite...I don't have that many songs, but there are a decent collection. name: jaydaum

Anyone else on simplify feel free to add me too!

In response to the overall thread however, the app is great...I know some folks had issues with their routers, but I have most of the people I know setup now and we all share our music...it's great. I spent the $3 because I got the original app for free in its first week of being released.

papiti

macrumors regular
May 28, 2008
Puerto Rico

They are still making money out of it. You are paying for the App. And those who don't have it , have to pay for it. What we are saying is that for those of us that already paid for it, it should just be a free upgrade.:mad:

papiti

macrumors regular
May 28, 2008
Puerto Rico

It's three dollars.

Its not the three dollars, its that we already paid for the Application!!!!:mad:

papiti

macrumors regular
May 28, 2008
Puerto Rico

????McDonalds?????? OK, so you go to McDonalds and buy a Happy meal for say $3.00, and they don't give it to you, and they ask you for three more dollars for them to give it to you, are you gonna get mad or not, I mean, like you said, $3.00 dollars is nothing!!!!!:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.