Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Advance The Man

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 6, 2005
my friend works at an apple store and she says its normally around 250+ to get a screen fixed, she highly suggested to my friend, who just happened to shatter hers on her birthday, to just buy a new phone.

unless you don't wanna get stuck in another 2 year contract, i'd buy a new one as well, kinda pointless to spend 250 or more on just a screen when 200 can get you a brand new one altogether.

hope that helped.

Since I am a brand new Att customer with the new 3G, I will not be able to get the discounted rate and would have to pay $599 for a replacement. Still better to have the cracked unit repaired for $250. Live and learn and buy a case!

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
I hope none of you butterfingers have kids.

How do you guys manage to drop your phones so often. It makes no sense.

csupinski

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2008
Cape Canaveral, Florida
Here's and idea, what if you found someone to go to the Apple Store, sign up for service and then have them cancel the contract within 15 days and give you the phone for $199 or $299. I was told that they do not charge you for the phone and you have every right to cancel within that time frame.

It's just a thought but I'd do it ;)

Advance The Man

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 6, 2005
I hope none of you butterfingers have kids.

How do you guys manage to drop your phones so often. It makes no sense.

It's only a phone. Maybe the best phone in the world right now, but still a phone. And with your comment, you've doomed yourself. You will drop yours in a matter of days!

Here's and idea, what if you found someone to go to the Apple Store, sign up for service and then have them cancel the contract within 15 days and give you the phone for $199 or $299. I was told that they do not charge you for the phone and you have every right to cancel within that time frame.

It's just a thought but I'd do it ;)

That's beyond my moral compass. I wouldn't ask someone to do that.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
It's only a phone. Maybe the best phone in the world right now, but still a phone. And with your comment, you've doomed yourself. You will drop yours in a matter of days!

As much as people run around crying about how expensive the iPhone is, and how expensive the plan to use it is, and how expensive the apps are, why do so many people treat it like it is a $5 toy. it is only a phone, but one I want to keep with me in a usable state. Doesn't really take supersonic powers to keep from dropping it. Only a small modicum of attention will prevent almost all accidents.

slaguru

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2005
I shashed my 1st Gen today :(

Insured however, so I'm hoping for a new phone. Don't want a 3G as I can upgrade to that later, but I would like to hang onto my 1st Gen for my wife to use.

(I think it looks nicer as well)

Attachments

• Smashed iphone.JPG
    Smashed iphone.JPG
    340.1 KB · Views: 185

Advance The Man

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 6, 2005
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A345 Safari/525.20)

My Apple store rocks!! The genius employee looked at the 3g cracked glass and immediately said he would cover it! The retail store was out of all 3 g phones, but the genius area has their own stash. Walked out with a brand new 16 gig white iPhone. We both got cases. Genius recommended hard cases, so we did. Now off to dinner.

kleptobizmol

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
thats pretty ballin

ive dropped my phone twice both from about 3-4 feet right on concrete. not even a scratch on it. its time to invest in a case but i like the look of the iphone so i hate getting cases id like to find one that just covers the edges so that takes most of the force of the drop.

cforand1293

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2006
i got mine fixed

I sent my iphone 3g off to ubreakifix.com. They had a 24 hour turn around and it only cost me $79.99+9.99 shipping. You pay shipping one way they pay it back. I was very happy with my results. Here are pics to prove my service...:D

iphone2.jpg

wife drove off with it on her car...

after repair.
IPHONE2-2.jpg

you can still see some damage on the bottom of the phone, but when its in its case you can not tell...

just my 2cents

GriffinConcepts

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2009
I'm impressed! You pooped in the fridge and ate the whole wheel of cheese? LOL

Wow! That's pretty good actually! Man, i hate to do it for less cuz it's so tedious... but maybe they have a better technique than I do...

Does that glass have a bevel to the speaker and button edges? doesn't look like it from the pics...

cforand1293

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2006
They say they use OEM Iphone glass from apple. It looks just like the glass i had before. I watch videos on you tube of 2 guys who did the fix and it did not look like fun. I also looked at ordering the parts from pdaparts.com, but after seeing it would cost me around 60.00 bucks with shipping and all, plus my time i thought this would be a better say to go. I was a little scared to send it off, but i insured the package and shipped it UPS. Mush easier to deal with if you have a claim.

chrismac00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2007
i dropped my iPhone about a month ago. I will upload pics soon. I bet I will win as most destroyed iPhone :)

andrewsd

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2008
USA/BAYERN(bavaria)

I had a cracked screen and apple told me it would be 200 as long as I give them my old iphone and that there was no water damage. The guy at the genius bar also said that if there was only one or two cracks and it was still under warrenty then it would have been free. By the time I finally took it into repair it was no longer working because another incident occured and when it was all said and done it still only cost me 200 so not to bad.

Hope that helps and you have to bookan appointment for the genius bar before you go.

GriffinConcepts

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2009
Just do... er... I mean... fix it...

Everything you need is right here for do it yourself or let them do it.

http://www.iphonereplacementparts.com/

You guys are expensive.

I had a cracked screen and apple told me it would be 200 as long as I give them my old iphone and that there was no water damage. The guy at the genius bar also said that if there was only one or two cracks and it was still under warrenty then it would have been free. By the time I finally took it into repair it was no longer working because another incident occured and when it was all said and done it still only cost me 200 so not to bad.

Hope that helps and you have to bookan appointment for the genius bar before you go.

Got news for ya... those stickers turn pink after a moist day, sorry. Also, if you can get it fixed under warranty, do it. BUt I' give it a 99.9999999% chance it won't happen. The impossible happened to my neighbor, who broke his phone the day he got it, and his mom brought it to AT&T and threw a stink and cancelled all their contracts... so they called her back and told her they'd replace it but not tell anyone. Of course, I heard about it. Lucky bastard. I did the dumb thing when I broke my 2G the first time and PAID apple $280 to repair it... only to break it again a few months later. Guys, look, it's time consuming and intimidating at first, but it's doable. I messed up the first time i did it, but i'm impatient. You can do it, despite these neigh-sayers out here who tell you your screwed... think outside the box! The only reason why I decided to start up this repair service for friends was that I hated seeing friends making the same mistake I did...

The advantage of the 'Genius Bar' or directly from apple repairs is you keep your warranty. It's not really a warranty anyways, so just fix it yourself, and then hack your phone so you can get all the cool gadgetry you want! For those who have heard rumors, yes, it does function a little slower, but I'd say between 5-10% slower at most... I think it's worth it for all those apps that can do way more than any app that will ever get approved on the official apple store.

I know I'm shooting myself in the foot by selling out my business like this, but hey, what goes around comes around.

Oh, and one more thing:

i dropped my iPhone about a month ago. I will upload pics soon. I bet I will win as most destroyed iPhone

I had a buddy that dropped his phone out the truck window going 70 down the road... he turned around and fired 5 rounds into it because he was drunk and pissed... If only I had a picture...

JimRice

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2012
sold my mobile for cash pretty quick

to be totally honest, i think the speed of technology as far as mobiles is concerned, is way too quick!
i bought a blackberry 1 year ago and it is already classed as old! I have not bought an iphone 4s and already the iphone 5 is out! grrrr!
luckily i managed to sell them online without using the two crooks in ebay and amazon. I sold both of them for a sweet £450.00 on http://www.cashyourgadgets.co.uk

I think they also do broken mobiles aswell as other electronics

I have now bought a new iphone 5 and am praying the iphone 6 is not released anytime soon. peace!

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
to be totally honest, i think the speed of technology as far as mobiles is concerned, is way too quick!
i bought a blackberry 1 year ago and it is already classed as old! I have not bought an iphone 4s and already the iphone 5 is out! grrrr!
luckily i managed to sell them online without using the two crooks in ebay and amazon. I sold both of them for a sweet £450.00 on http://www.cashyourgadgets.co.uk

I think they also do broken mobiles aswell as other electronics

I have now bought a new iphone 5 and am praying the iphone 6 is not released anytime soon. peace!

The minute you got the Blackberry out of the store it was old compared to todays phones. iPhone 6 will be out in less than a year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.