Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applecultvictim

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2009
How did you not mean to do that by starting it?

Hey grow up, so the discussion went that way, why are you here reading it? And did anyone appoint you prosecutor on behalf of who started what?

If you don't care ignore it. It's a simple as that. Go read something else, plenty of good stuff at mr at all times, I don't see other people go into threads that have gone on a tangent they dont like and critisize that tangent.

And the other poster Anuba is clear enough, he merely commented on something not meaning to get caught up on semantics by others nitpicking on what he said, again, as simple as that, what part of it don't you understand?

For crying out loud, some people just go looking for it, just make your comments and ignore what you disagree, no reason to boss around others. And I ll stop here for fear of me doing what I preach against...

:cool::apple:

SydneyDev

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2008
I think Snow Leopard is going to be a big disappointment for a lot of people. It hardly looks or feels any different, and the hoped for performance gains from the re-architecting may turn out to be isolated to a few specialized types of application.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
I think Snow Leopard is going to be a big disappointment for a lot of people. It hardly looks or feels any different, and the hoped for performance gains from the re-architecting may turn out to be isolated to a few specialized types of application.

I'm betting that Apple delivers polished new UI come WWDC that will be a draw for many. We've heard rumors of a "Marble" interface so we'll see. UI changes are the easiest thing to spring on late as the birth of Aqua showed years ago.

I'm sure the performance will be good but it is dependent on having apps that can run processes in parallel to good effect though even at a kernel up level having an OS that can intelligently utilize multi-core systems is going to have an impact on system performance regardless of whether 3rd party apps are updated.

MacAndy74

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2009
Australia

How can you be so sure? What if the new UI comes with Snow Leopard?
I bet Apple won't disappoint with Snow Leopard. Give it a chance :eek:

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
And the other poster Anuba is clear enough, he merely commented on something not meaning to get caught up on semantics by others nitpicking on what he said, again, as simple as that
The point is not to start something you can't finish. You don't get to correct semantics and then claim "I don't want to argue semantics". Leave it be, or be sure you're right.

The original post was correct, and there is no need to waste further time on an utterly off-topic issue. The subject is OS X 10.6 10A335. Shall we?
I think Snow Leopard is going to be a big disappointment for a lot of people. It hardly looks or feels any different
That was disclosed from the beginning. Barring the introduction of a revised UI, it wasn't supposed to look or feel different.
the hoped for performance gains from the re-architecting may turn out to be isolated to a few specialized types of application.
Again, this was always the case. Both OpenCL and GrandCentral have proven to be immensely valuable, even in their early stages, for the types of software capable of taking advantage of it. The myth of continually improving performance of basic applications is just that: a myth. There's nothing that can be done to improve perceptible speed on your general applications.

The big drawbacks are disk I/O and user slowness. An OS alone can't defeat those two.

SydneyDev

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2008
I'm betting that Apple delivers polished new UI come WWDC that will be a draw for many. We've heard rumors of a "Marble" interface so we'll see. UI changes are the easiest thing to spring on late as the birth of Aqua showed years ago.

I am skeptical that they will redo the entire interface. In the past they have always made incremental changes, and I think this is the best approach as it doesn't give the users an unexpected learning curve. Redoing the whole thing didn't work out too well for Microsoft with Vista. I suspect this whole "marble" business is a few incremental changes they are planning (such as the Quicktime X changes) that have been blown out of proportion by the rumor mill. But as you say, we shall see.

I'm sure the performance will be good but it is dependent on having apps that can run processes in parallel to good effect though even at a kernel up level having an OS that can intelligently utilize multi-core systems is going to have an impact on system performance regardless of whether 3rd party apps are updated.

Yes, I suppose the OS and included apps will all be rewritten to use the GrandCentral APIs. But then things like Mail weren't that heavyweight to begin with. I suppose Safari 4 could benefit greatly since the browser is an entire programming platform now, and it always shows a lot of threads in Activity Monitor. But then I personally do not like the UI changes in Safari 4, and I am not the only one. I think Snow Leopard may have a higher proportion of Firefox users than Leopard did.

dhowden

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2009
I think that they wanted to establish it as a stability and back end API update with Grand Central etc (which I'm really looking forward to - I do lots of computational mathematics!), rather than lots of new flashy user features. Hence they name it "Snow Leopard".

Since there's been all the hype surrounding Windows 7, I think that someone has decided that it needs to be a more radical update for regular users, hence the new UI... (and delayed launch...)???

JohnnyLemonhead

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2008
The best way to configure Time Machine is to use the exclusionary rules (also exclude Spotlight from indexing and searching the Time Machine volume and always do the first backup over night without using the system, something Apple doesn't and should inform their customer base). I don't back up certain folders, esp. my downloads folder or desktop. This is the main way I can keep Time Machine from becoming ridiculously large (and I set a specific folder as a working folder for design work, as files I am constantly changing and don't need cluttering up Time Machine are excluded). I also wish Apple would allow more manipulation of time intervals. Currently it's either manual or one hour automatic backups, daily, weekly and monthly automatic backups would be nice for users who don't need perpetual saves. Plus going into Time Machine and deleting individuals folders, files, etc. is a big pain. Definitely needs streamlining. However, as I recently had one Western Digital SATA drive crash on a four year old iMac, the Time Machine restore was sweet, put everything right back and saved a lot of time. :)

hey have a free program for changing the intervals. I can't remember the name but I use it. It only backs up every 3 hours. Google that !@#$%

percival504

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2009
Rosetta

Seems to me I've seen (and used) the option to install Rosetta. I'll double check tonight. My wife's got my old powerbook so I may even try installing it on a partition on her computer.

Like all the others before it, it does not.

There is no putting the rumor to rest, trust me. Even with every single piece of available evidence weighted against the theory, there are a sizable number of members clinging to the idea that there is more than a remote chance of a last-minute turnaround to add PowerPC back in where it currently is not.

It's one of those undying theories, like the one below.

OS XI is a myth and has almost no chance of ever coming into existence. At some point, the OS version will advance to 11.x (barring a complete overhaul), but "OS X" is a brand overhaul to replace the numbered System series. It's not a simple restarting into Roman numerals--there's a better chance of 11.0 still being called "OS X 11.0" than "OS XI". Just as Adobe introduced CS for the same reason, they're very clear that the "ten" in OS X stays separate from the "ten" in the version number.

It's always OS X 10.5, and never OS X.5. It's not a coincidence.

Sehnsucht

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2008
I think Snow Leopard is going to be a big disappointment for a lot of people. It hardly looks or feels any different, and the hoped for performance gains from the new architecture may turn out to be isolated to a few specialized types of applications.

They've just spent the last five years reminding everyone how much Vista blows, so they are obligated to make SL amazing. :D

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008

I think you may be right if people are expecting blazing fast performance. One of the main features is supposed to be the removal of bloat from apps. Like I said before all I want mainly is:

-iTunes that is less bloated
-QuickTime supporting many codecs
-Safari having drastically reduced memory usage and sandboxed tabs
-unified interface (Marble)
-security upgrades

These have been the main problems for OSX for a long time now and it should be resolved. I don't expect Snow Leopard to perform as if I were running it off a SSD but I do expect that it will be somewhat faster than 10.5. Snow Leopard is meant more for the future than it is for instant gratification.

applecultvictim

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2009
I think that john a public will indeed see these changes as a good majority of the notebooks will come with sl AND ssds.

How is copy merge and cut paste functions coming along, any news on these?

SydneyDev

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2008
-iTunes that is less bloated
-QuickTime supporting many codecs
-Safari having drastically reduced memory usage and sandboxed tabs
-unified interface (Marble)
-security upgrades

Well... you will probably get the last one.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier

Attachments

• Capture3.PNG
    Capture3.PNG
    163 KB · Views: 1,050

antdgar

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2007
Will snow leopard be faster than leopard?

ie. do i need to upgrade my hardware from a mid-2007 macbook (2gb ram) ?

lssmit02

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2004
Will snow leopard be faster than leopard?

ie. do i need to upgrade my hardware from a mid-2007 macbook (2gb ram) ?
From all indications, Intel mac users with dual core machines should benefit at least to some degree, based on Snow Leopard taking better advantage of multiple processor cores, as well as through more efficient code. AppleInsider has done an extensive review of Snow Leopard since WWDC last year.

ras61l

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2009
has anyone heard anything about snow leopard allowing for 8G of memory in the late 2008 macbook pros (2.8ghz) without having your system freeze up when attempting utilize anything above 4G?

LGS3

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2006
Kalamazoo, MI
No, sorry. I want a new cat.

We had Cheetah/Puma/Jaguar/Panther/Tiger and Leopard.

What about Lion and Cougar? Where the hell are they??? Let's exhaust all distinct cat names before we get off on tangents like Snow Leopard, Spotted Leopard and Clouded Leopard.

I want my OS X Lion and Cougar. Also want my Lynx, Wildcat and Bobcat. Then we will get to the tangential Leopards.

The reason for the name Snow Leopard is that this is the year of the "Snow Leopard." :apple:

celtikmind

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2009
Rosetta is going to outlast hardware PowerPC support--plenty of titles remain viable longer than hardware, especially lots of the one-off, small applications

No, Creative Suite is a bundle of separate products. Among its members are Photoshop CS, ImageReady CS, and Illustrator CS; each is an independent, proper, branded product identity.

It's not a letter; it's a number. X (ten).

Maybe and maybe not, but not to replace it with 'XI', is the point.

And rightfully so.

Technically, yes, it's Apple Mac OS X, Version 10.5. OS 10.5. OS X Leopard. But never, ever OS X.5. That interpretation is a conflation of two distinct elements of the brand--the product name and the product version. You did the same thing with Adobe's CS versioning.

Photoshop CS was version 8.0. Photoshop CS 4 is version 11.0, not 4.0.

Yes, because all this is so easy to keep track of... :rolleyes:

No friggin' wonder some companies return to plain version numbering. This, current naming scheme of 'OS ten ten point five' (1010.5?) and CS-crapola is just plain dumb.

The most probable reason imho as to why having it, is people discuss how it's pronounced and that way they'll talk about it. Then when it's time to buy stuff they tend to lean in the direction of what brand is frontmost in their mind and recollection.

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Yes, because all this is so easy to keep track of...
It's not really that hard. The branding is for the consumer, the versioning is for internal use. Sometimes they're identical; often they're not. Much of the industry abandoned marketing based on internal version numbers because it was "too complex" according to consumer surveys. You know what Word 2008 is. You don't have to care that the current patched version is 12.1.6 or whatever.

This, current naming scheme of 'OS ten ten point five' (1010.5?) and CS-crapola is just plain dumb.
"t's Apple Mac OS X, Version 10.5. OS 10.5. OS X Leopard. But never, ever OS X.5. That interpretation is a conflation of two distinct elements of the brand--the product name and the product version."

Not 1010.5--just like it's not X.5. OS X. 10.5. Two separate concepts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.