Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
infoAppleStore is reporting a tip of a new Apple store coming to Kansas City.

I love barbeque and I love baseball, which took me 1,791 miles east to Kansas City (Kan.), where both are king. I started by visiting Gates & Sons Bar-B-Q (1026 State Ave.), where the noise level is high and the ribs are meaty. After sitting down with my rib slab, beans and potato salad, I got to talking with a guy wearing a "T-Bones" baseball cap. Turns out the guy's a cousin of someone who's a friend of one of the players--- and a Macintosh user. He told me some good news! Apple is coming to town, possibly on this side of the river, next the CommunityAmerica Ballpark, and inside the gigantic new The Legends mall.

If this and the earlier Pittsburgh rumor are both true, then the top two metro areas without an Apple store will soon no longer head that list. If it is true that it is on the Kansas side of the border that the store is going to be located it will be the first in that State.

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
BBQ

Have to say this is great news for KC. There are three locations where an Apple Store would do very well. The Plaza and Oak Park Mall would be great locations on top of where they think the suspected store will be which is near the Nascar track they just put in KC, Kansas.

Off topic: Haywards and Arthur bryants BBQ are as good or better than Gates, but with Gates you get the atmosphere which can't be beat. the moment you enter the restaurant they yell out "HI, May I Help You?" even if they are not ready to take your specific order...it is there way of greeting you. If you ever get to KC, visit Gates as well as others. Also the Negro League Museum. :cool:

bbarnhart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2002
I didn't know they were going to put a mall up there. I was hoping that they would put an Apple Store in Oak Park Mall because that is near where I work. Up north where that mall is supposed to go is the NASCAR track, a minor leage ballpark, Cabelas (outdoors/hunting) and Nebraska Furniture Mart (super, super huge store).

Either place would be good.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Sayhey said:
infoAppleStore is reporting a tip of a new Apple store coming to Kansas City.

If this and the earlier Pittsburgh rumor are both true, then the top two metro areas without an Apple store will soon no longer head that list. If it is true that it is on the Kansas side of the border that the store is going to be located it will be the first in that State.

Yes, so I think this would be the new list of top metro areas w/o a store

1 - San Antonio, TX*
2 - Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA
3 - New Orleans, LA
4 - Salt Lake City, UT
5 - Greensboro/Winston-Salem, NC*
6 - Nashville, TN
7 - Providence, RI*
8 - Rochester, NY
9 - Grand Rapids, MI
10 - Oklahoma City, OK

I put asterisks by places where I know of a store/planned store within 70 miles.

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
I just received an email from the guy who runs the IFO Applestore.com site and he said it is on the Country Club Plaza and not up north in KCK.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
flyfish29 said:
I just received an email from the guy who runs the IFO Applestore.com site and he said it is on the Country Club Plaza and not up north in KCK.

Certainly makes more sense.

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
flyfish29 said:

Seems like Gary changed his post after I posted it here. This is the "new" news.

I love barbeque and I love baseball, which took me 1,791 miles east to Kansas City (Kan.), where both are king. I started by visiting Gates & Sons Bar-B-Q (1026 State Ave.), where the noise level is high and the ribs are meaty. After sitting down with my rib slab, beans and potato salad, I got to talking with a guy wearing a "T-Bones" baseball cap. Turns out the guy's a cousin of someone who's a friend of one of the players--- and a Macintosh user. He told me some good news! Apple is coming to town, but on the other side of the river, as part of the outdoor (and very scenic) Country Club Plaza shopping district.

wordmunger said:

1 - San Antonio, TX*
2 - Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA
3 - New Orleans, LA
4 - Salt Lake City, UT
5 - Greensboro/Winston-Salem, NC*
6 - Nashville, TN
7 - Providence, RI*
8 - Rochester, NY
9 - Grand Rapids, MI
10 - Oklahoma City, OK

I put asterisks by places where I know of a store/planned store within 70 miles.

It looks right to me!

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
wordmunger said:

7 - Providence, RI*

My dream would be for Apple to put a store in the South Shore area of Massachusetts. What we could use is a Flag Ship Store in the Tri State area of CT, RI, & MA. The we could have a fun bag give away at the opening. Maybe a visit from the Steve man himself.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
wdlove said:
My dream would be for Apple to put a store in the South Shore area of Massachusetts. What we could use is a Flag Ship Store in the Tri State area of CT, RI, & MA. The we could have a fun bag give away at the opening. Maybe a visit from the Steve man himself.

That'd be great, but, with, what, 4 Apple Stores within 40 miles of Boston (Cambridge, Chestnut Hill, Peabody, and Salem [NH]), I doubt they'll add another one soon... plus we all know Steve doesn't want to come to Boston (see MacWorld Boston thread).

:(

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
jsw said:
That'd be great, but, with, what, 4 Apple Stores within 40 miles of Boston (Cambridge, Chestnut Hill, Peabody, and Salem [NH]), I doubt they'll add another one soon... plus we all know Steve doesn't want to come to Boston (see MacWorld Boston thread).

:(

They could always close one of the three. If not 4 would be just right in our large metropolitan area. The Chestnut Hill Store is small, no theater with limited software available. I still haven't given up on Apple and Steve coming to Boston in July.

latergator116

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2003
Providence, RI
Also on ifoapplestore, it mentions Ron Johnson will be speaking at the Succes by design conference at the Providence convention center. Ironically, this is also about a stones throw from the Providence Place mall.... a perfect place to put an apple store! (also one of the nicest malls I have ever seen.)

Also, even though there is an apple store in Boston, it is a pain to get to in traffic. I ends up being about a 2-2.5 hour drive round trip.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.