Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

conshok26

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 10, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
I've tried to run the wizard and it's not working for me. Either it fails right from the start or it says it connected but neither work. Anyone who has done it successfully please help. I'm using a new unibody MacBook.

chedmaster

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2009
I'm having the same problem with my white macbook, the mouse shows up in the bluetooth control panel. I press connect and it just says connecting and never actually pairs with the mouse (wireless mighty mouse).
Anyone got it to work?
Ironically it worked before it was installed by either the boot camp drivers or windows update (cant remember which) but the scroll wheel and other buttons didn't work. Very frustrating!

thefunkymunky

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
London
Same sort of issue here but I'm trying to connect a Microsoft Bluetooth Notebook 5000 Mouse. Weird thing is the mouse worked when I booted W7 from the DVD during the setup process.:confused:

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
It took me two hours, but I fixed this last night.

First off, you need to go into Mac OS and remove the keyboard and mouse from your Bluetooth settings entirely. You'll add it back in later.

Boot into Windows.

Click on the Bluetooth control panel, and go to settings. Under Hardware, it probably says 'Generic Bluetooth Adapter'.

Click 'Properties' and 'Change Settings'.

Go to drivers, and 'Update Drivers'. Have Windows look on your machine to find all available drivers ('Let me pick from a list')

UNselect 'Show Compatible Drivers'.

Look for 'Apple' in the manufacturer names, then select the Apple Bluetooth Driver. Install.

Once this is done, pair your keyboard through the wizard. It should now bring up a passcode and confirm it much more quickly than before.

Once this is done, go back to Bluetooth settings and return the Drivers to 'Windows Generic'. If you leave it on the Apple drivers the keyboard will disconnect randomly and frequently.

Your keyboard will now be paired, but won't work. Go to the Device Manager, right click on the entry for the wireless keyboard.

Click on 'services'.

It should bring up a single entry for keyboard/mouse HID services. Click this and press Apply or OK. After it installs, you should be golden.

There are two issues here - one is that Mac OS seems to 'reserve' the Bluetooth device such that it won't pair correctly with any iteration of Windows while it's already paired in OSX. It works fine the other way around, however, so you need to make sure it's set up in Windows before Mac OS. Second, there's a Bluetooth driver issue in Windows 7 such that it won't pair with the keyboard - it'll run through the steps, but the keyboard itself will not appear to actually 'get it'. Switching to the Apple drivers briefly will ameliorate this and allow proper pairing, but to actually keep the keyboard working you should use the built-in drivers.

jonnyb

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Inverness, Scotland
Thanks very much for that. Very useful.

I only have an Apple bluetooth keyboard, i.e. no wired USB keyboard. Is an installation impossible for me therefore, since I need to use a keyboard to do all this stuff or could it just be done with a mouse (I do own a wired mouse)?

I want to install W7 for fun but I don't really want to have to go out and buy a wired keyboard just so I can get a wireless one working!

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
Thanks very much for that. Very useful.

I only have an Apple bluetooth keyboard, i.e. no wired USB keyboard. Is an installation impossible for me therefore, since I need to use a keyboard to do all this stuff or could it just be done with a mouse (I do own a wired mouse)?

I want to install W7 for fun but I don't really want to have to go out and buy a wired keyboard just so I can get a wireless one working!

You'll need a keyboard just to do the install, unfortunately. The rest of it could be done with just a mouse, but you have to enter a product key, etc during installation.

You could borrow a keyboard. ;)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I had a similar problem but solved it.

I had to right click on the device when it was found in bluetooth sync part, and then there is an option for Human Control Devices. (Mice, Keyboards etc...)

I ticked that box and afterwards Windows 7 installed the Apple Keyboard and everything was hunky dory.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about

I had to right click on the device when it was found in bluetooth sync part, and then there is an option for Human Control Devices. (Mice, Keyboards etc...)

I ticked that box and afterwards Windows 7 installed the Apple Keyboard and everything was hunky dory.

I needed to do that once the keyboard actually connected, but to even get it to pair to the point where I could select the HID service, I had to install the Apple drivers. Then uninstall them so it would stay connected for more than a handful of words.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Very funny story behind my success to install my wireless MM and aluminum bluetooth keyboard. I already had the Apple Bluetooth drivers installed from a torrent. The torrent had the latest Boot Camp 2.1 drivers that were on a Mac Pro disc. I installed all my drivers using the BootCampx64.exe file. Everything except Bluetooh and Audio were working. Audio was fixed by installing the Realtek drivers, but had this issue where muting the volume would cause it to stay muted forever, getting "stuck" for want of a better word. You'd have to plug in earbuds or external speakers to the audio jack and toggle the mute key. Remove the device from the audio jack and you get audio back. Secondly was Bluetooth. It shows up working but doesn't connect to anything. I had the Apple driver, but went ahead and installed the Generic driver. Rebooted, since Bluetooth wouldn't initiate after install. Next I added the keyboard and mouse. Everything worked fine.

jonnyb

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Inverness, Scotland
I've installed Windows 7 on my iMac but I can't see how I chnage bluetooth settings as I don't have a Bluetooth control panel. Do I need to install Apple/Windows Bluetooth drivvers?

This is the first install of windows I've done

edit: I downloaded a version of the Apple bluetooth drivers and now I have Windows working perfectly on my Mac.

Can I be the one gazillionth person to say...It just looks...WRONG!

Dizez66

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2009
How

I've installed Windows 7 on my iMac but I can't see how I chnage bluetooth settings as I don't have a Bluetooth control panel. Do I need to install Apple/Windows Bluetooth drivvers?

This is the first install of windows I've done

edit: I downloaded a version of the Apple bluetooth drivers and now I have Windows working perfectly on my Mac.

Can I be the one gazillionth person to say...It just looks...WRONG!

Can you give me a link to this download please
I work at a tech shop and I'd like to be informed on win7 because I get asked about it a lot. Please let me know soon

ddmak

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2007

Thank you so much for sharing your solution.
My Apple Bluetooth mouse is working perfectly now.

Cheers,
DDmak

Quillz

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
You'll need a keyboard just to do the install, unfortunately. The rest of it could be done with just a mouse, but you have to enter a product key, etc during installation.

You could borrow a keyboard. ;)
You actually don't need to enter a product key during the installation, but you do need to set up a user account, so yes, you will need a (wired) keyboard.

And thanks a lot of that very informative guide. Of course, this could all be avoided if Apple would just update their Bluetooth drivers in the first place.

bori

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2008
Toronto
I got my Mighty Mouse to work on Windows 7. But it keeps turning off after a few seconds... anyone know why?

C. Alan

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2009
I'm glad I found this thread, I have been fighting the same issues with BT on my Windows 7 install. I have an early intel duo core Imac (October 07) with the white wireless keyboard.

One handy thing I did discover in windows 7, one of the 'assistance' options on the log in screen is an on screen keyboard. This way you can get into Windows 7 if you don't have a working keyboard.

I don't have a USB keyboard laying around, and I would like to use the directions laid out by gloss, but I have one question: If you disconnect your keyboard from OSX, how do you log back into OSX to re-connect it?

Thanks,
--C. Alan
:apple:

C. Alan

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2009
Still no luck

I went to the BT settings in Win7, and it listed two drivers, the first was a microsoft Blue Tooth Emulator, and the second one was the Apple Driver. In this configuration, Windows does detect the keyboard, but when I go to pair them, it times out. This is even after I have unpaired the keyboard from the OSX side of my Imac.

I tried disabling the Microsoft driver, but that had no effect.

I did buy an el-cheapo usb keyboard that works fine in windows, and I think it will get me buy in OSX. At this point, I am scratching my head wondering how to get the Keyboard to pair with Win7.
--C. Alan

siksik6

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2008
sorted

This worked fine for me too on both the wireless keyboard and mouse ;) Cheers mate

mattgosselin28

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2009

Thanks, it worked after a couple attempts for me. It's about time, too.

DribbleCastle

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2009
Seattle, WA

That worked for me! Thanks a lot.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
This is driving me INSANE in the RC. Something has changed, I don't know what but in order to even get things to load in the services menu, you have to switch to the Apple driver.

I still can't get my keyboard to pair although I have now managed to get the driver for it installed.

DualBooterOSX7

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2009
This is driving me INSANE in the RC. Something has changed, I don't know what but in order to even get things to load in the services menu, you have to switch to the Apple driver.

I still can't get my keyboard to pair although I have now managed to get the driver for it installed.

Cosign on this. I am almost at the end of my sanity. Before I update my drivers from the Mac OS x cd, the keyboard works, but the mouse does not. If I update and do the right click enable HID on the mouse, the mouse works. If I right click the keyboard, there is no option to install drivers for it, it keeps reappearing as "[username's]" keyboard or "keyboard' and I can't connect to it. I don't know what to do anymore, I've tried everything I could think of. Someone help please!

sconstantine

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2006

Wow, extremely non-intuitive decision by MS for the Bluetooth Add Device wizard but this worked great for me too. (Win7 x86 Release Candidate Build 7100 w/ BootCamp v2.1 Drivers)

djb.williams

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2008

I can confirm this does work with Windows 7 RC for both mouse & keyboard (finally using them both to write this!) mouse worked first time, keyboard took several attempts, it seems that you need to do the right click (etc) every time you attempt it, the time I got the keyboard to work I had been pressing a key every second (even whilst it searches for keyboard driver etc) for about a minute, until I could see it producing text.

Both the mouse & keyboard seem to go to sleep if left unactive for more than 10 secs though, and take about 2 secs to start responding again when you resume using.

djb.williams

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2008
The following adapted from Gloss's instructions appears to fix the response lag...

Open Bluetooth Settings.
Click Hardware tab, open Properties for 'Generic Bluetooth Adapter'.
Click Change Settings.
Go to Driver tab, and 'Update Driver'
'Browse...', 'Let me pick from a list...'
Return the driver to 'Generic Bluetooth Adapter'. If you leave it on the Apple drivers the mouse & keyboard seem to disconnect if left idle for over 10 secs.

I only installed the Bootcamp software/drivers to fix sound, so was annoyed it broke Bluetooth, but now all's working with this method so hopefully it'll work for all of you as well!

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
Can't get this to work. I can manage to get it to connect if I use the Apple Bluetooth Driver, but the passcode stage doesn't allow me to choose a passcode as in XP. Is there a default one? What the ham?!

Any ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.