Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KndMcknz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2009
I've had a mac (OS X 10.5.6) for about a year and still don't know what's gwaaannning.

I "set up" my iChat months ago, and don't remember what I did..
but when I open it, a window called "Bonjour List" comes up with my name and picture with a little green video camera beside it.

When I click the 'Buddies' drop-down menu, every option is grayed out.. as are almost all of the options on the other drop-down menus.
Under the 'iChat' menu, beside Accounts it only says Bonjour.

I don't know what Bonjour is, and don't want to use it on iChat. I'd like to set it up with my AIM account but have no idea how to do so.

Is there a way to reset iChat so that it asks me again what account I'd like to use and I can choose AIM? Or any other simple solution?

Also.. I just took a screen capture to post here, and have been trying to DRAW A LINE ON IT to cover my name for 15 minutes. How? What program lets you DRAW A ****ING LINE on a picture?

Please help, I'm frustrated.

tman07

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2009
Bonjour is an apple protocal that basically lets you talk to people on your same network. You dont need it.

Ok, what you are going to do to set up an aim account is go to the menu "ichat" then "preferences" then "accounts" then highlight the bonjour account and hit the (-) button then go ahead and hit the (+) button. (both are at the bottom of that window)

After hitting the (+) button, under account type, hit the drop down arrow and click AIM account. Fill in the proper area's, hit done, and you should be good to go!

~edit~
you cant delete the bonjour account, just add a new one! Its the plus arrow at the bottom of that window.

KndMcknz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2009
Hmm,
Ok I did everything you said and it worked.. kind of.
I set everything up ok, but then it just kept saying "connecting..." so I went to the iChat menu and clicked log out because I realized I had AIM open in it's own thing, so I quit that.
Then it just kept saying "disconnecting...", so I quit iChat and re-started it. Now nothing comes up except the top iChat bar. The Log In button is grayed out and when I hover on Accounts, nothing comes up. When I hover on My Status though it says Available.
??
Thanks for your help!

gravity black

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2011
Btw, in response to your question about putting a line on a picture, you can do that in preview. I had the same frustration myself, (I knew it would be simple as hell in MS Paint). Eventually I figured out that you can use the annotations toolbar to put a variety of simple shapes and lines, etc., on whatever you're viewing.

I personally couldn't figure out how to make sure that whoever I sent the file to wouldn't just click to remove the lines that I used to redact the document, (without doing something like locking the file), so what I did was take another screenshot of the redacted document. Hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.