Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

random818

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2008
I bought the new airport extreme to extend the wifi range in my household and hoped to share a hdd. Upon my experience and reading the forums, the sharing hdd is not as easy as I thought. But that is not my issue at the moment.

My issue is with extending the network. A couple weeks of ago, I did the setup to connect the two airport extremes together (older round AE & new box AE) using aiport utility. It seemed to have work because the signal was stronger in a part of the house that usually had 0 to 1 bar.

But shortly after, the signal showed itself as inconsistent. The signal strenght is jumpy from 0 to full bars. And right now, I am sitting in a part of the house that used to have 0 bars and now, I get full bars. And yet my mbp cannot see the newer, closer in distance AE.

What's going on here?

random818

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2008
That seems to work. Network seems stable now. It also seemed to fix my issues with sharing a hdd.

THANKS!

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
@ martin1000: Set up the newer base station as the one hooked into the cable/DSL modem, make sure via manual setup that it will allow the network to be extended. Then set up the older base station to extend the network generated by the primary one.

You'll probably want to start off the process by hard resetting both units to the default configuration by holding in the reset button with a paper clip until they blink amber rapidly. Make sure also that you're connected to the Apple Network name being broadcast by the newer Extreme, which should be identifiable according to its AirPort hardware ID.

martin1000

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2005
Washington, D.C.
JediMeister,

This worked perfectly, thank you!

The AEBS is now the secondary unit.

As the secondary unit, is there a way to make it .11 g only? There is not an option for radio signal when it is a secondary unit.

Thanks again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.