Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
Well, my current camera is also my first. I bought a Powershot S45 last April. It has served me well, but I am hoping it will be replaced soon.

What was your first camera?

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
I had some old pos that used 110--no, it wasn't 110--it was a cartrigde like 110 but it was much wider. Anyway, that was my first camera back in about 1976. You never give a 4 year old a nice camera.

I'm thinking about a digital rebel now.

evoluzione

macrumors 68020
i think i had a camera when i was tiny, but i threw it down the stairs and it broke :( probably wasn't a real one anyways. first one i really remember was one of them slim 110 things, with the flash cube haha. used to take that with me on school field trips. since then i've had a ricoh 35mm point and shoot thingy that my Dad brought back from Japan in the early 80s and i still have it, it's all i have unfortunately, must've taken about 20 rolls in my life with it, could never justify the cost of the film, and then the processing on top of it...just trying to save up for a DSLR :D (which i know will make not only me happy...)

Angelus

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2002
New Zealand
Minolta 7Hi.
Bought it last summer.
Really love it, in fact the photography society in university is the only society i've managed full attendance in. We had an exhibition a few weeks ago so i got to show off some of my pictures.

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
Horrortaxi said:
I'm thinking about a digital rebel now.

I, too, am thinking about a DSLR. It'll be (A) Nikon D70 (B) Canon Digital Rebel or (C) keep my life savings. My buying urges lead me different ways everyday. Just can't make up my mind. I guess im kind of cheap, though.... Not wanting to spend my money and all. Can't wait till im old enough to get a job.

Alte22a

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2003
back in London
Well my first camera was a Pratrika BC1, that was back in 1986 I think. That was sold some years later. Since then I've own an assortment of cameras. Now I own a pair of fuji 680s gx III with 6 lens (Which I sold a Mamiya 7ii for and which I sold a Hassblad 503 for), A pair of Minoltas (800si and 700si) contax G2 and TVS II.

Actually last week My girlfriend got me my first digital camera Sony dcs-f828. I still think that the good old fashion film is the best.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Capt Underpants said:
I, too, am thinking about a DSLR. It'll be (A) Nikon D70 (B) Canon Digital Rebel or (C) keep my life savings. My buying urges lead me different ways everyday. Just can't make up my mind. I guess im kind of cheap, though.... Not wanting to spend my money and all. Can't wait till im old enough to get a job.

While the Digital Rebel is nicely priced, you can tell immediately that it's not well made and probably won't last. I think the Nikon D70 will be much more substantial since it's rarer for Nikon to compromise.

djbahdow01

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
Northeast, CT
My first camera

The first camera i used religiously when i was about 12 or so was a Pentax SLR, not sure what model number but my dad loved it so much that when he was looking for another camera last year he got another late model manual focus and aperature Pentax. The first camera i owned and have used very much is a Canon Rebel G with two lenses. I have taken all but a few of the pictures on my website with that camera. My next camera will be a DSLR and i am thinking about the Nikon D70 as it has the features that i would need for sports photography. This will be my next purchase after i buy my first Apple product in the G5, which will set me back quite a few pennies. The Nikon seems to have very good reviews from professional cameramen that got the opportunity to see it before it has been released for sale.

JDar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2003
Capt Underpants said:
Well, my current camera is also my first. I bought a Powershot S45 last April. It has served me well, but I am hoping it will be replaced soon.

What was your first camera?

After a couple of old family box cameras I bought a used Kodak Retina II. It still performs. Got flash sync added to it and used it for years. Now it sits as part of an old camera collection probably worth about nothing.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
I believe my first was also one of those 110 jobs. Piece of crap really, but it was fun to know it was my own. :D

My first real camera was a 1976 Minolta XE-5, fully manual 35mm that I inherited from my dad back in '97. I only used it for a short time though, but still have it today.

About 3 years later I picked up a Polaroid to play around with (I won't mention the intent of it though, ;) ). Soon after that, I got a sweet deal on a Kodak 4100ix APS camera. It was with this one that I started to develop an interest in taking photos on vacations & of friends mostly.

In March '02, I went out & bought a Nikon N65 35mm. My N65 was what brought to my attention that I had a halfway decent eye (no pun intended) for photography.

In August '02, I sold off the N65 & bought a Minolta Dimage 7i. I learned a lot with that camera, and even got to use it for work purposes.

About a year after I got the Dimage 7i, I sold it to Backtothemac & bought a Nikon D100. I made the decision to invest in professional grade equipment, mostly because this "hobby" had turned into much more than I'd ever though imaginable.

Later this year I plan to buy a second DSLR body, hopefully the replacement to the D100, the D200. :D

voicegy

macrumors 65816
My first camera was the Pocket Instamatic by Kodak, with a Magicube socket and extender, designed to reduce the risk of 'red-eye'. When these came out, they were sooooooo James Bond.

Attachments

• p-i200fc.jpg
    p-i200fc.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 753

voicegy

macrumors 65816
My second camera (I really loved this thing) was a Kodak Instant Camera. Interesting background on this: In January 1986, the Federal District Court in Boston issued an injunction in a lawsuit between Polaroid Corporation and Eastman Kodak Company which prohibited Kodak from continuing to sell instant cameras and film. Full story if interested: http://www.kodak.com/global/en/service/faqs/faq0098.shtml

Attachments

• ek6-1.jpg
    ek6-1.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 1,480

haiggy

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Canon PowerShot S30 - still serves me well, not sure I'll replace it but a very nice camera. I like the metal as opposed to the plastic in some Kodak models, etc. It's coolness factor reminds me of Apple products.

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
bousozoku said:
While the Digital Rebel is nicely priced, you can tell immediately that it's not well made and probably won't last. I think the Nikon D70 will be much more substantial since it's rarer for Nikon to compromise.

I'm going to be patient. I like the price of some of these models but since it's technology it can only get better. I'm interested to see where this 4/3 standard goes as well so I'll try to wait a couple years.

The price is tempting though.

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
cartridge based camera from the early eighties. had it for a few years... i don't think i have any photos from that thing anymore.

i used to think that thing was the ****. kid with his camera.

peace.

KC9AIC

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2004
Tokyo, Japan or Longview, Texas
My first Camera was an Olympus 360L. I paid about $450 for it, and it was 1.3 megapixel, big and heavy, and didn't have any optical zoom. Then I lost it (or it was stolen) last summer in either Texas, Louisiana, Tennessee, Michigan, or Indiana. That really narrows it down. :(

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Horrortaxi said:
I'm going to be patient. I like the price of some of these models but since it's technology it can only get better. I'm interested to see where this 4/3 standard goes as well so I'll try to wait a couple years.

The price is tempting though.

Supposedly, Olympus will have a 4/3 camera to compete with the Digital Rebel and D70 this year. I suppose I should have waited.

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
My mother bought me a Carena 35mm camera when I was about 10 I think, that was my first camera. I've since used a Rolei, the ever-popular Pentax K-1000 and a 110mm Pentax (I love 110 cartridge film.)

As for digital cameras:
Olympus C720-UZ (sucked so I sold it.)
FinePix 1700Z
FinePix 50i
FinePix S304
FinePix S602
and FinePix S1 Pro (current main camera)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
5300cs said:
My mother bought me a Carena 35mm camera when I was about 10 I think, that was my first camera. I've since used a Rolei, the ever-popular Pentax K-1000 and a 110mm Pentax (I love 110 cartridge film.)

As for digital cameras:
Olympus C720-UZ (sucked so I sold it.)
FinePix 1700Z
FinePix 50i
FinePix S304
FinePix S602
and FinePix S1 Pro (current main camera)

Was the 110 camera the Pentax 110 SLR?

Kingsnapped

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
My first real camera (beyond little crappy plastic ones) was a Nikon Zoom-Touch 800. My dad found it atop a car in a parking lot and after 90 days in the lost and found... it was mine. After that, I graduated to a Nikon FE5 (I think) SLR and bought a tiny little Cybershot-U for when I can't carry around a 8 pound camera bag.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.