Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kevina

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2004
The media has a powerful way of influencing opinion and very few outlets are dedicated to positive and international coverage. Can you imagine if warring nations/groups only heard about the positive from the other side? Global Heroes attempts to break the negative stereotypes and barriers that exist in our world by focusing on the positive lives of people who have achieved their goals often times despite difficult obstacles. A full preview can be found at http://www.globalheroesmagazine.com.

Thanatoast

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2002
Denver
actually there have been studies done that show that while the perception of lawlessness has gone up, actual crime rates have gone down. this is largely attributed to the mainstream media and their tendency to sensationalize everything they can get their hands on. the problem is, since media is in the game to make money, and since bad news sells more papers than good news, it's in their best interests to keep reporting bad news. kinda sucks.

Dros

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2003
When it is your own web site you are promoting, it is polite to say so, so people can easily tell the message is advertising spam instead of the opinion of an interested 3rd party.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Sadly its negative news that sells. Todays news outlets are in the money making business. They are out for ratings.

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
Dros said:
When it is your own web site you are promoting, it is polite to say so, so people can easily tell the message is advertising spam instead of the opinion of an interested 3rd party.

no kidding... there has been a lot of this lately...

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
No...sorry that's negative news.

Yes...mmm...that's positive but reinforces a negative...

Can't win...(sorry that sounded negative)

:p

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
yet another reason why i am glad that i have no tv stations & no cable, this way i go looking for news, i find it online, but i get to choose what i read ect....the news is so sensationalized and negative that even if i were to have tv stations i wouldnt watch it at all.....i say question everything and look for what you want to know but thats just my 2 cents

Awimoway

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
California
THIS JUST IN:

Trees blossomed across the country today as millions of Americans took to the parks and sunned themselves on newly-green grass.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

Positive news will never lead so long as humans keep being human. Negative news leads because that's what we need to know most. My concern with the media isn't the negativity of the news but the manufactured character of a lot of news. The press is a voracious animal and it will often blow small stories or statistically insignificant dangers out of proportion in order to get ratings/sell papers.

But to say that the press is negative is like saying that things aren't the way they used to be. Yeah, but so what?

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
the networks are giving too much negative news, and they all have it on at the same time too! the 10 o'clock news stations always are showing the same thing at the same exact time. sorry if i don't want to hear about a murder rape in midtown on 3 different stations at once. yeesh :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.