Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

werdyo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2009
my music files are in a folder on an external hard drive. currently, itunes has lost track of the files and won't play the songs. it shows an exclamation point next to all the songs.

i have tried to re-select the proper folder in itunes advanced preferences, but to no avail.

has this happened to anyone else? can anyone help me?

any help is much appreciated.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Make sure you have your external drive plugged and recognized before you fire up iTunes.

Is your iTunes library settings on the external or is it still based on in the default location?

Try this first:

Close down iTunes. Make sure your external is connected and recognized. I would then fire iTunes back up and see if the "!" goes away. Click on a song and see if it plays.

If your iTunes library is on the external, close down iTunes. Then option click open iTunes. Pick your library location. See if this works.

werdyo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2009
"If your iTunes library is on the external, close down iTunes. Then option click open iTunes. Pick your library location. See if this works."

I've already tried everything you mentioned except the last thing. But I'm not sure what you mean. I tried option clicking on itunes in the application window and I'm not getting any cool library options. I don't really understand what you're talking about. Pardon my ignorance of the underbelly of my laptop. I want to try it. Can you explain further?

Much appreciated!

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
By option clicking do the following:

Hold down the "option" key on your keyboard and then click on the iTunes icon (where ever that is, ie in the applications folder)

Make sure you hold down the "option" key. A dialog box will open up asking you if you want to create a new library or connect to a library you already have. See screen shot.

Pick the choose library option and navigate to where you have your library at.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    24.4 KB · Views: 215
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.