Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PalmHarborTchr

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2003
Florida
Diskwarrior works

burger011 said:
Which one is better and if possible why?

Thanks

I can only tell you that DW kept me from having to do an
Archive and Install......It was a good investment and I got
it at the Apple Store per the Genius recommendation. :)

nargot

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2004
Australia
burger011 said:
Which one is better and if possible why?

Thanks
disk warrior has fixed the unfixable for me since version 1 many eon ago. It repairs your file structures and can resurrect files when others can't. Its optimisation function is slow, but it is extremely good as i necer have corrupt file probs

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I haven't tried DiskWarrior but if you're looking for more than just disk repair, Tech Tool Pro 4 is exactly that. While it does disk repair and de-fragmentation, it also checks your hardware, so it's a better fit for me.

evoluzione

macrumors 68020
i've used TTP and DW and DW has saved an iBook that nothing else would even want to know about. it took almost a day of rebuilding or whatever it did, but it did it, and did it extremely well. it's one of the very few utilities that i've bought for myself...(i tend to borrow that sort of thing but DW is well worth it) :D

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
DW and TTP don't even do the same thing. Well, they both check the hard drive's SMART thing, but that's it. DW checks and rebuilds the disk's directory, and it's very good at that. TTP does just about everything else you could want. It's like Norton SystemWorks, except it actually works. So they complement each other fairly well. If you can afford it, get both.

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
Counterfit said:
DW and TTP don't even do the same thing. Well, they both check the hard drive's SMART thing, but that's it. DW checks and rebuilds the disk's directory, and it's very good at that. TTP does just about everything else you could want. It's like Norton SystemWorks, except it actually works. So they complement each other fairly well. If you can afford it, get both.

TTP DOES check and rebuild the disks directory. I know because I have it and have done it.It does things like check/repair the Finder structure, the directory structure, optimize your hard drive, and many other things. TTP 4 is pretty good and I recommend it. I'm not saying its any better than DW because I've never used DW.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
mklos said:
TTP DOES check and rebuild the disks directory. I know because I have it and have done it.It does things like check/repair the Finder structure, the directory structure, optimize your hard drive, and many other things. TTP 4 is pretty good and I recommend it. I'm not saying its any better than DW because I've never used DW.
Well hey, it does! I haven't used it in TTP4, but DW works wonders. If you have the money, I still say get them both though.

nargot

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2004
Australia
Counterfit said:
Well hey, it does! I haven't used it in TTP4, but DW works wonders. If you have the money, I still say get them both though.
I have heard alot of bad things about the latest versions of TTP... will have to look around for some, i used to use it in combo with disk warrior under OS 9 and that combination alone would fix everything. Unless things have drastically changed i assume that combination DW and TTP will fix most things, where one alone will leave critical problems.

nargot

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2004
Australia
JFreak said:
ttp comes with applecare, right? is there any major difference between that and the latest version?

Well i just checked all my ibook propaganda, and the applecare brochure said that you get techtools deluxe. I didn't get it with mine so i have a call to make about that i think.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.