Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frohickey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 27, 2003
PRK
Hawking questioned on 'abuses'

ASTROPHYSICIST Stephen Hawking has been questioned by detectives about alleged abuses that reportedly left him with a series of unexplained injuries, police said today.

Hawking, 62, who is paralysed by amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, was interviewed yesterday by Cambridgeshire police at Papworth Hospital, said force spokesman Tony Taylorson.

------

Sad... very sad.
Someone needs to invent a Type 2 phaser set to stun controlled via ocular movement! :mad:

srobert

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2002
Frohickey said:
Sad... very sad.
Someone needs to invent a Type 2 phaser set to stun controlled via ocular movement! :mad:

He probably was savegely beated by a young 59 years old frustrated scientist stud who disagreed on his model of the universe. Or maybe his voice synthetizer said something nasty to Victoria and she slapped him back. (Get that one?)

No, seriously, this is sad. whou would do such a thing. :confused: :( :confused: :mad:

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
Not sure if this is true or not but I heard that Hawking's voice box was invented by the ex-husband of Hawking's current wife. The creepy thing about this is that the synthesized voice is that of it's inventor thus Hawking's wife is listening to her ex's voice. Anyone else hear this?

Pity if the abuse rumors are true.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Frohickey said:
Hawking questioned on 'abuses'

ASTROPHYSICIST Stephen Hawking has been questioned by detectives about alleged abuses that reportedly left him with a series of unexplained injuries, police said today.

Hawking, 62, who is paralysed by amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, was interviewed yesterday by Cambridgeshire police at Papworth Hospital, said force spokesman Tony Taylorson.

------

Sad... very sad.

Unable to find requested news story as link posted above. That is very sad that someone would abuse an invalid for any reason. I pray that Stephen will be OK.

Krizoitz

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
wdlove said:
Unable to find requested news story as link posted above. That is very sad that someone would abuse an invalid for any reason. I pray that Stephen will be OK.

I would have to say that its sad when ANYONE is abused, but I do agree that this is a sad story if true. Maybe he was wrestling with a black hole?

Bigheadache

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2004
krimson said:
i thought i had read this a few months ago.. hopefully it isn't a new case.. but possibly his wife was trying to beat the unified string theory outta him...

its a continuation of the same story, he keeps refusing to press charges and tell the cops what happened.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
srobert said:
Or maybe his voice synthetizer said something nasty to Victoria and she slapped him back. (Get that one?)

Fred v. Victoria... Who would win that fight. :)

But in all seriouly, who would pick on a man With Lou Gerigh's Disease (ALS). Especially if he is the most brilliant scientist of the last 25-30 years.

TEG

Mac|caM

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2004
Okie-homa
slowtreme said:
Hawking didn't discover the Unified String Theory. I forget the name of the guy that unified all the different theory's during his speach a few years ago. It was in this program The Elegant Universe

String Theory (or Unified Field Theory) has been around for about 20 years, and has been elaborated on by many scientists. Brian Greene (who wrote The Elegant Universe) is simply a string theorist who has made it accessible to many non-scientists.

slowtreme

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2003
Tampa FL
Mac|caM said:
String Theory (or Unified Field Theory) has been around for about 20 years, and has been elaborated on by many scientists. Brian Greene (who wrote The Elegant Universe) is simply a string theorist who has made it accessible to many non-scientists.

String Theory had MANY different versions (I think 4 majors) until about 5 years ago, when one guy proved mathmatically that all the theories were actually the same (Unified). The nova show I linked to had a segment about this "breakthrough". Of course all he did was link the previously unproven theories together. They still have little proof or meaning to the layperson.

Frohickey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 27, 2003
PRK
TEG said:
Fred v. Victoria... Who would win that fight. :)

But in all seriouly, who would pick on a man With Lou Gerigh's Disease (ALS). Especially if he is the most brilliant scientist of the last 25-30 years.

TEG

dunno about that... when you start claiming someone is the 'most' of one thing.

I guess ever since Einstein, the media had always wanted to put the mantle of brilliant scientist on one person.

voicegy

macrumors 65816
His former wife, Jane Hawking, who wrote a memoir about their time together, has urged police to investigate the reported abuses he suffered.

Hawking has dismissed allegations that he was assaulted or abused at his home in Cambridge as "completely false"

So, what gives? If the man himself has dismissed the alleged abuse, then I smell the deisre for lawsuit money from the ex-wife.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
srobert said:
[VOICE BOX] I call it a "Hawking Hole". [/VOICE BOX]

—>Click me for funny sound <—

pic00555.jpg

pic00501.jpg

You know each of those pictures and sound bites don't work unless you copy/paste them into a new empty window right?

BTW, Futurama rules. :D

Yeah hawking said there was no abuse... case closed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.