Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Pimp King

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2007
"The iPod 'iPod' could not be restored. An unknown error occured (1604)"

PPPPPPPLLLLEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEEE

help, need it done before half seven.

Gerard.

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2007
"The iPod 'iPod' could not be restored. An unknown error occured (1604)"

PPPPPPPLLLLEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEEE

help, need it done before half seven.

Right, something similar happened to me. Connect your ipod, then hold the home button and the power button untill the ipod turns off, it will start up again, let go of the power button but keep holding the home button. A message should pop up in itunes.

The Pimp King

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2007
I do that, though the box that comes up tells me i need to restore my ipod. which i cant do :c

ViP3r

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2008
restarted itunes.
Tried to restore to 1.1.1
tried to restore to 1.1.2

no success.Can anyone help??

dagored

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
Florida
Follow this step by step. If need be. Do it a couple of times. It will work.

open iTunes
-plug the iPod into the computer
-hold both sleep/wake and home button until iPod restarts.
-let go of of the sleep/wake button when you see Apple logo.
-continue to hold home button until iTunes pops up with recovery mode
-click yes, and your iPod will be restored to its factory settings.

ViP3r

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2008
iv tried it a few dozen times.Ill continue to but may i ask if there is a known cause of this problem?Would it help if i restarted my pc?

tony Ramirez

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2007
my ipod wont restore either.
after i jailbreaked it and the first time i plugged it in to sync my music, itunes showed up with " This ipod cannot be used because the required software is not installed. Run the iTunes installer to remove iTunes, then install iTunes again."

and ive already uninstalled and installed itunes again

help!!!

Moosegoesgawunk

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2008
Still nothing...

I've tried to restore at least 20 times, and every time it stops due to an unknown error. I've tried to restart Itunes, to no avail. Anyone know what to do?! I'm going crazy here...

PMB

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2007
New York
google is your best friend.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=307007
Error 1604 When restoring iPhone in iTunes

* Last Modified on: December 17, 2007

* Article: 307007

Issue or symptom

When trying to restore your iPhone in iTunes, you may see the following error message:

The iPhone could not be restored. An unknown error occurred. Error 1604

Products affected

* iPhone
* iTunes 7.4.3 and earlier

Solution

Update to iTunes 7.5 or later.

If upgrading to iTunes 7.5 or later does not resolve, follow the following troubleshooting steps:
Restart your computer

Simply restarting your Mac or Windows PC may allow you to successfully restore your iPhone.
Try a different USB port

Connect iPhone to a different USB port on your Mac or Windows PC. USB 2.0 ports that are built-in to the computer are preferred. If your computer has front and rear USB ports, try a port on the other side of the computer. After doing this, attempt to restore your iPhone in iTunes.
Remove extra USB devices

Remove all USB devices except the keyboard, mouse, and the iPhone. Connect the iPhone directly to the supplied USB cable, bypassing the iPhone Dock. Remove all USB hubs and connect directly to the computer.
Try restoring on a different computer

Attempt to restore on a different computer. Ensure that the computer you are restoring on has USB 2.0 ports.
Create a new user account and restore

Create a new user account and then restore iPhone.

Use the steps below if you're not sure how to create a new user. After creating the new user, log in to that account, open iTunes, and determine whether the issue you were experiencing persists in this new user.
Windows Vista and Windows XP

1. From the Start menu, choose Control Panel.
2. Open User Accounts.
3. Select Create a new account and follow the instructions to complete the account setup process.
4. Once the new account is created, choose Log Off from the Start menu.
5. Log in to the newly created user account.

Mac OS X

1. Choose Apple menu > System Preferences.
2. Choose View > Accounts.
3. Click the "+" (you may need to authenticate to be able to click this).
4. Give the new user a name and short name and enter a password.
5. Select the checkbox for "Allow user to administer this computer". This makes the user an administrator user.
6. Click Create Account.

socrates111

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2009
I am an iphone developer and i just tried to install beta 3.0 on my touch and it didn't work. I have itunes 8.2 beta but for some reason 3.0 wiped everything when i restored including itself. I tried to restore but it wont because there's no software to extract. It has the same screen as when you first open it. any ideas why?

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2008
UK
I am an iphone developer and i just tried to install beta 3.0 on my touch and it didn't work. I have itunes 8.2 beta but for some reason 3.0 wiped everything when i restored including itself. I tried to restore but it wont because there's no software to extract. It has the same screen as when you first open it. any ideas why?

have you seen the date on this thread?! :rolleyes:

angelnerys

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2009
Ugh !!!!!!!!!!!

first of all i did all 5 requirments for this BS and all it says is ( an unknown error occured (20) ) and it would not let me restore. My Itouch is now locked and i cant use it so now its useless SMH

jdw4jbb2009

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2009
thanks =D

Follow this step by step. If need be. Do it a couple of times. It will work.

open iTunes

-thanks dude... it does work somebody locked my ipod lol, so i had to sort it somehow. i figured it had something to do with both buttons... so thanks.

bbb1995

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2010
I Need Help!

OK so i jail broke my ipod touch 3g 3.1.2. and when i connected it to the computer it said i had to restore it for it tou work. so i clicked restore and it starts to download the software update and then it says there was a problem downloading it. im scared PLLLLEEASE HELP ME!

mastermind93

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2010
i had the same problem, my ipod just shut off one day and when i tried to turn it back on it just came up with the apple logo and wouldnt turn on. all you need to do is update your version of itunes and then restore the ipod. unfortunately for me my imac's hardrive failed several weeks before, so my ipod wasnt backed up and i lost everything i had on it :/.

Dezotl

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2010
Over night the other night I hit download ALL for app updates on my touch, when I got up in the morning my icons were in the wrong places. So I was messing around on iTunes for a bit then saw the "encrypt backups" so I hit that and it started to backup, I hit cancel.

Little while later I get this bright idea to "restore" my iPod since it had backed up the day before. So I tried to restore it.

Then I get unknown error (-27) when it tries to "restore" the ipod from the "Set up your iPod screen." I select the backup file from the correct date and hit continue and then the error message comes up.

Any Ideas?

I've tried updating iTunes I was on ver. 9.?? now I'm current. Also my iPod was on ver before 3.1.3 before I tried restoring. I've also restarted the computer and tried a different USB port though I'm plugged right into the PC running XP media center. Trying messing with Msconfig as well.

llc2013

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2010
Ipod won't restore!!! :(

I'm having a problem with my ipod... It won't restore! I have the updated version on itunes... I don't know what else to do! Help please!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.