Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
You're acting like he said that it wasn't coming though... You wouldn't give an argumentative statement like that if you didn't think he meant the contrary.

It wasn't argumentative - I was flipping the coin.

If he/she had said it was coming, I'd have replied the same.

This is the basis of everything I'm saying: no one knows for sure because there is no schedule to adhere too. Although, if I was going to put my money on it, I would bet on there being a new iPhone before August of this year - simply because of the amount of 'sensible' rumours.

The Phazer

macrumors 68040
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
It is worth noting that the early spy pics were pretty much written off as being fake.

We've already had a possible leaked matt plastic back and a chrome bezel that doesn't go all the way around suggesting a new look. We may well have seen the new iPhone already, just not *put together* :)

Phazer

PhxBlue

macrumors regular
May 24, 2008
The Valley, AZ
There is a very significant rumor post on another site regarding that casing being the real deal. Anyone here read it? I know this means nothing in the real world currently but its a good read. Heres what was posted for those of you who havent seen it.

"I worked for Apple, but was not employed by Apple.

Yes, one is coming, it may be delayed by up to three weeks though. Apple won't launch until 32 GB models are ready but they are dependent upon industry supply. Target launch for July 10, actual launch will be the 17th to no later than the 31st. I don't work in software but I think that 3.0 will be ready before the new iPhone and they will probably release it to current users before the new iPhone goes on sale.

The leaked image of the back casing from a month or two ago is real. It is a rubberized plastic which feels "grippy" and has a smoky charcoal color. That is part of just one of three prototypes. The chrome bezel is gone. The camera hole is slightly larger with an actual lens, no optical zoom or flash. It will utilize the 3.2 MP sensor. On one prototype the Apple logo was made transparent so it could be lighted by an LED (which had yet to be added). It doesn't appear this feature has been added in the 3.0 software so it is unlikely to be released. On another prototype there were two LED's that shone through the LCD when it wasn't in use, however this won't come to the final release as the feature doesn't justify the cost and it increased the device thickness somewhat.

The CPU is 733 MHz and is custom-designed by PA semi. It runs underclocked around 530 MHz at the same performance as the current processor which runs at 400 MHz. It could probably run at its full rating but will likely be under clocked at whichever rating optimizes battery life. It is not multi-core. RAM has doubled to 256 MB.

One model will be released this summer, two distinct models are being developed. Don't know when they will expand by the product line but expect two iPhone models by the end of 2010."

uiop.

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
There is a very significant rumor post on another site regarding that casing being the real deal. Anyone here read it? I know this means nothing in the real world currently but its a good read. Heres what was posted for those of you who havent seen it.

Yes, one is coming, it may be delayed by up to three weeks though. Apple won't launch until 32 GB models are ready but they are dependent upon industry supply. Target launch for July 10, actual launch will be the 17th to no later than the 31st. I don't work in software but I think that 3.0 will be ready before the new iPhone and they will probably release it to current users before the new iPhone goes on sale.

The leaked image of the back casing from a month or two ago is real. It is a rubberized plastic which feels "grippy" and has a smoky charcoal color. That is part of just one of three prototypes. The chrome bezel is gone. The camera hole is slightly larger with an actual lens, no optical zoom or flash. It will utilize the 3.2 MP sensor. On one prototype the Apple logo was made transparent so it could be lighted by an LED (which had yet to be added). It doesn't appear this feature has been added in the 3.0 software so it is unlikely to be released. On another prototype there were two LED's that shone through the LCD when it wasn't in use, however this won't come to the final release as the feature doesn't justify the cost and it increased the device thickness somewhat.

The CPU is 733 MHz and is custom-designed by PA semi. It runs underclocked around 530 MHz at the same performance as the current processor which runs at 400 MHz. It could probably run at its full rating but will likely be under clocked at whichever rating optimizes battery life. It is not multi-core. RAM has doubled to 256 MB.

One model will be released this summer, two distinct models are being developed. Don't know when they will expand by the product line but expect two iPhone models by the end of 2010."

Linkage? And was it this picture that they were talking about?

Attachments

• 2-12-09mattephone2.jpg
    2-12-09mattephone2.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 135

randomusername

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008

Assuming that this is true, what exactly does he mean by "the chrome bezel is gone"? Does it mean the casing on the back wraps around to the front, like the 2nd gen. iPod Touch? Or does it mean the chrome is being replace? Apple seems to like the metal bezel, but they're moving away from chrome and into more matte metals (iPod Nano, MacBooks, iMac). I'm hoping they replace the bezel with brushed aluminum.

I hope they don't go with the LED on the back, as it'd add too much bulk and waste battery life. Also happy about the processor and RAM increase.

Of course, this could be BS...probably is...

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
Why? I'm calm enough, thank you.

Just b/c I'm actively posting doesn't mean I need to "chill".
Agreed. I don't understand half the "chill" comments—even in real life.

Looks quite sensible to me, this statement seems real. The two more iPhone models—there were 3,1 and 2,2 strings, maybe one of these will be released later than midyear? Maybe the mini-tablet is iPhone-based rather than iPod touch-based? iPhone lite/nano?

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I'm a little unclear as to what this actually means:

"It runs underclocked around 530 MHz at the same performance as the current processor which runs at 400 MHz."

It is a different processor running at equivalent speed compared to the old one?

Revelation78

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2008
North Carolina
Also, something for you to consider, most of the "spy shots" were fake. So we saw a lot of fake shots coming out of the wood work. If you look in the forums, a lot of information has been released already about the new iPhone; none of it is guaranteed, better yet, educated guesses.

All you have to do is look and you'll see what is coming. Last year, most of the real "spy shots" and real information leaks happened roughly 1-2 weeks prior to WWDC. I remember the weekend before it was a F*^$ing hay day of information.

So, no! There were not more leaks by this time last year. The most likely scenario is the people that were making stuff up last year had to get real jobs due to the economy and they no longer have the time to fake it.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I know I wasn't the only person wondering the same exact thing, OP! Its weird that there aren't any spy pictures or something. Its a month or so until the conference and nothing has leaked. Weird.

PhxBlue

macrumors regular
May 24, 2008
The Valley, AZ
Linkage? And was it this picture that they were talking about?

Again take these rumors with a grain of salt because no one really knows for sure and its fun to speculate.

From how I understand it when I read it these two are supposed to be one in the same.

Attachments

• iphone_new_rumours_01.jpg
    iphone_new_rumours_01.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 124
  • 154412-chinab.jpg
    154412-chinab.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 154

=MuLti-CeLL=

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
m0biLe

There is no "link" because I believe this to be a PM sent like the one I recieved from a friend on MR. Correct Phx?

Or was it posted in a thread openly and I missed it?

I for one, do not believe it sounds so far-fetched and would be happy to see these upgrades. ;)

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
I know I wasn't the only person wondering the same exact thing, OP! Its weird that there aren't any spy pictures or something. Its a month or so until the conference and nothing has leaked. Weird.

Would it be that weird for other company's phones? Say it released late July - that means it would be >2 months away.

Carniphage

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Sheffield, England
Spyparts?

There were these images which purport to the bezel from a 2009 iPhone:
IMG_3909.jpg

IMG_3912.jpg

Not sure if these are credible - there appears to be a big circular hole, cut into the bezel on the lower right. (or upper left if these are upside down)

C.

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
i'm seriously going to drive myself crazy from all this speculation. I just hope i can still use my cases...

I seriously doubt it.

(If they change its physical appearance). Something tells me you won't be able to wiggle it into its case.

Also, if that new bezel is real, I'm loving it. ***** hate the chrome.

PhxBlue

macrumors regular
May 24, 2008
The Valley, AZ
ANOTHER RUMOR PHOTO GRAIN OF SALT POSTING

The above company that shows off that bezel also shows off what they say is the next gen's screen..

{note.. the screen looks yellow due to a protective film on it.}

apple-iphone-4g-2009-lcd-screen-original.jpg

IMG_3986.jpg

IMG_3989.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.