Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
OK, I am sure this has been discussed, but searching has not found anything useful. I just got a replacement iPhone Saturday, I was getting 3G until today, now I am only getting Edge. Other people are getting 3G in the same area. 3G is turned on in preferences.

Any ideas on what my problem is?

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
OK, I am sure this has been discussed, but searching has not found anything useful. I just got a replacement iPhone Saturday, I was getting 3G until today, now I am only getting Edge. Other people are getting 3G in the same area. 3G is turned on in preferences.

Any ideas on what my problem is?

Are they on the same network? Try turning phone on and off, then rechecking 3G setting on phone. If you can find a spot which has great 3G coverage for your network - see if it picks it up then

Cancelled
Aug 25, 2008
Don't take such drastic matters yet

When my 3G fails to work here is the order of things that will fix it ( has worked 100% Of the time, assuming of course I am not underground )

1) go into your general turn off 3G, wait for it to switch off
2) turn 3g back on

if that doesn't work

3) turn on airplane mode
4) turn off airplane mode

if that doesn't work

5) Do a hard reset ( hold power and home button for 10 seconds until iPhone shuts off)

If all those have failed there is always a possibility that the 3G network is down temporarily ( i then usually switch to Wifi)

Good luck,

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Thanks for the replies. It started working sometime last night. But other people, on the same network, were picking it up when I was not. if it does it again, I will try your suggestions. Thanks

ppc750fx

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2008
Mobile phone tech is not an exact science. There are a vast number of variables that can affect whether or not you're able to get a fix on a signal, and it's not uncommon to see variations even within the same room.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Still no 3G. Spoke to Apple tech support and AT&T Customer Care, still nothing. AT&T wants me to go to one of there stores and try a new Sim Card tomorrow. Hopefully, although I have my doubts, that fixes it because I don't want to drive the 45 minutes to the Apple Store again.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I guess the phone was just bad, got a replacement from Apple today.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.