Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

owen.andrews.00

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2009
Hi All

I have an iMac G5 1.8 GHZ
And a Mac mini intel core duo

is it possible to use the imac display as a monitor for the Mac mini

I am aware of software such as screen recycler that uses a firewire cable but id like to connect directly via VGA/DVI so it dont lag

An comments appreciated

Thanks

Beanlok

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2008
No...It Sucks! Ive wanted to do this. It technically is possible. You'd have to totally gut the imac and figure out the display power and rig it up. While you're in there throw the mini in and have a C2D imac.

edgew8

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2008
No...It Sucks! Ive wanted to do this. It technically is possible. You'd have to totally gut the imac and figure out the display power and rig it up. While you're in there throw the mini in and have a C2D imac.
HAHA, yeah I wish. The major hurdle is hooking up the lcd's inverter to the mini's logic board (or any other motherboard out there besides the g5's logic board) and as far as I know cannot be done.

This project is like a holy grail of hardware hacks and people have been trying to do it with laptop screens since...forever. Sadly this kind of project requires the expertise of an engineering team to figure out all the power wiring and hooking up the lcd to a graphics card or port.

willcapellaro

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2011
Hi All

I have an iMac G5 1.8 GHZ
And a Mac mini intel core duo

is it possible to use the imac display as a monitor for the Mac mini

I am aware of software such as screen recycler that uses a firewire cable but id like to connect directly via VGA/DVI so it dont lag

An comments appreciated

Thanks

Unhelpful reponse: Look up requirements for firewire and/or thunderbolt target display mode. I know it is possible with thunderbolt, and perhaps is possible with firewire, but I might be thinking target disk mode for firewire.

If not, you are inconvenienced like most Apple users at some point of owning a device. Hopefully you've made good use of your devices. But they've got new things for you and you'll be really happy with them. Just ignore the fact that you'll soon be in the same boat, after what is hopefully a long honeymoon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.