Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

speters

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2009
I am trying to set up a network render server for a 3d application, Cinema 4D, and it requires that the computer has a static ip address. I have a 8 Core 3.0 GHz Mac Pro, a Quad 2.5ghz G5, a Dual 2.0ghz G5 and 2 x 17" laptops. I only want to use the 3 desktop computers my net render. All machines are running Leopard but I am currently using the 8 Core for my C4D work. I want to set up Net Render and use either the 8 Core or the Quad G5 as the Net Server but I am not sure how to do this? I am using a airport extreme as my router, but only the laptops are connected wirelessly. The airport is connected to a cable modem through astound and only has a dynamic IP address. I know that in order to use a computer as the net server you need to have a static IP address.

Well all of my desktops have two ethernet ports. Can I have one port be static and the other dynamic? If so I am thinking that I should be able to at least connect the 8 Core and the Quad core to each other through the second ethernet port, correct? If so I am confused about what address to use. The IP address of my router something like 76.24.92.111. The IP address of my 8 Core is 10.0.1.200 and the Quads is 10.0.1.4. If anyone has any ideas on how or if this can be done please let me know.

theinstructor

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2007
Yes, you can independently assign an IP address and port status (dynamic or static) to each ethernet port under your network settings app. It will list each available network port and whether or not it is dynamic or statically assigned.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Normally, when I setup a private network between machines (i.e. not on the same network as other workstations), I choose an entirely different network. In your example, since you have 10.x.x.x addresses for the general LAN, I would use 172.16.6.1 and 172.16.6.2 using a 255.255.255.252 subnet mask. This will only allow those two IPs on that particular connection.

SHIFTLife

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2008
Normally, when I setup a private network between machines (i.e. not on the same network as other workstations), I choose an entirely different network. In your example, since you have 10.x.x.x addresses for the general LAN, I would use 172.16.6.1 and 172.16.6.2 using a 255.255.255.252 subnet mask. This will only allow those two IPs on that particular connection.

+1. Definitely use a separate subnet for the render network. Makes things easier in the long run, and keeps traffic on your regular network ports from eating up bandwidth available to the render network.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.