Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

POLL: Did you have major problems after installing 10.5.7?

• Intall went fine. Used Combo Update. Use Safari 3.

Votes: 26 9.3%
  • Install went fine. Used Software Update. Use Safari 3.

Votes: 69 24.6%
  • Intall went fine. Used Combo Update. Use Safari 4.

Votes: 48 17.1%
  • Install went fine. Used Software Update. Use Safari 4.

Votes: 107 38.1%
  • Major Problems. Combo Update. Use Safari 3

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Major Problems. Software Update. Use Safari 3

Votes: 10 3.6%
  • Major Problems. Combo Update. Use Safari 4

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • Major Problems. Software Update. Use Safari 4

Votes: 7 2.5%
  • Install went fine. Combo Update. Have kernel hacks.

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Install went fine - Used Software Update. Have kernel hacks.

• Major Problems - Combo Update. Have kernel hacks.

• Major Problems - Used Software Update. Have kernel hacks.

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters

omniinvoice

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Everything worked fine for me part from updating Safari, but all i had to do was restart the computrer.

CisternaChyli

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2008
mine went fine..took about 3 hours to download, installed, it rebooted twice and was ready to go. Ive never had a problem with any of these updates; i dont used software update to DL them and i dont use the combo version, just the standard one from apple's website.

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
System Mac Pro 1,1 - 2006 - made In China
Upgraded CPUs from X5150 x2 to X5355 x2 (basically from a quad 2.66 to an Octad 2.66)
3-Drive RAID 0 as Boot.
12GB RAM
NVidia 7300 GT
Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MP11.005C.B08
SMC Version (system): 1.7f10

It went smoothly but with a few issues!

The Upgrade downloaded at 11.9 MB/s meaning it took about 34 seconds to DL.
Install took 3 minutes 30 seconds to first reboot. (4 min. total)
Second reboot took 1 minute 30 seconds ( 5 min. 30 sec. total)

Enhancements:

Problems:
I lost my screen resolution 1920x1200 no longer exists in the options:
Now the fonts are messed up - fuzzy!
Pixel Aspect Ratio is wrong! - circles appear oblong.​

Also I have no idea what you mean by "Use Safari 3" or "Use Safari 4". Safari 3 is installed. Huh?

Chrysaor

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2006
Problems:
I lost my screen resolution 1920x1200 no longer exists in the options:
Now the fonts are messed up - fuzzy!
Pixel Aspect Ratio is wrong! - circles appear oblong.​

Apple screwed up HDMI in the display drivers, use another connection. Everyone thats using HDMI is affected and can not use their native resolution.
Apparently, Apple knew about this issue since new Mac Pros were out and still released it. :mad:

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
Used software update (I always have) and half an hour later 10.5.7

No problems at all.

i wish for me it was that simple. i had to download the tiger security update twice... it still says i need to upgrade Safari - but the Safari 4's public beta is already installed.

on my MacBook - i have tried to upgrade more than once. the first time it got stuck at 200MB and the second time it got stuck at 185MB. The third time it said that the digital signature was incorrect. the fourth time was done correctly.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
I typically wait several days after an update is released before I install it. It's not about doubting it's ease of updating it's just when I happen to have time. They always go smoothly enough.

I've heard a few people have trouble w this update. I'll monitor this thread and see how you guys do first.

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
install went fine!

3527873981_67230ccd88.jpg

durija

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
About a 20 minute download via combo update last night. Installed pretty quickly with a single reboot. If anything's changed, I sure don't notice it. In the last 17 months every update I've installed has seemed to do nothing or very slightly change or fix something. How annoying it must be for those having problems. I expect my turn will come one day. *crosses fingers*

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
Its only HDMI input (for the monitor), if you are using DVI->HDMI or DP->HDMI, you will be affected.
When I use HDMI->HDMI its broken. Using HDMI->DVI now and its working fine.

Hmmm OK. I downloaded this: http://www.madrau.com/html/SRX/About.html ran it and then uninstalled it. Now I get 1920x1200 on both monitors but somehow I did the two differently cuz one says 59.98 KHz and the other says 60KHz. :D But both look the same.

However now the monitors so longer have the ARC Options:
  • 1:1
  • Original
  • Stretched (or something)

Oh well. I hope Apple fixes this soon! Silly Apple!

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
No problems in the dawghouse
Download took about 2-3 minutes from Software Update
Install went flawless and no issues

Then again, I've never had any issues with updates

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Seeing as how only 8 of the 111 poll responses so far are reporting any problems, that doesn't seem to indicate any widespread issues with this update at all. All 3 I have updated here are doing just fine as usual.

Ttownbeast

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2009
The update went well on my Sawtooth Macasaurus it didn't update Safari though because I threw that out for Firefox when I originally installed 10.5.4

JavierP

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2008
I typically wait several days after an update is released before I install it. It's not about doubting it's ease of updating it's just when I happen to have time. They always go smoothly enough.

I've heard a few people have trouble w this update. I'll monitor this thread and see how you guys do first.

It's always best to wait for a month, so that 3rd party apps are updated and Apple fixes the regressions. I never do that, I upgrade seconds after it's released. :D

aicul

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
no cars, only boats
my experience

For the record, on my

macbookair : had to hard-switch-off mac and restart, then all ok
imac g4 >800 : had to hard-switch-off and restart, then all ok
imac g4 <800 : still working hard after >60minutes and i'm praying
macmini : perfect

ps. if you do use the combo downloaded installer, do remember to switch of timemachine.

Lorenz0

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2009
About 2 mins to download (thank you virginmedia!):D
About 6-7 mins to install/ hit the first reboot.
About a minute for the second reboot.

seems a little faster in safari 4

aicul

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
no cars, only boats
For the record, on my

macbookair : had to hard-switch-off mac and restart, then all ok
imac g4 >800 : had to hard-switch-off and restart, then all ok
imac g4 <800 : still working hard after >60minutes and i'm praying
macmini : perfect

ps. if you do use the combo downloaded installer, do remember to switch of timemachine.

so the praying helped ... imac g4 <800 fine an humming.

However I did have to re-pair my bluetooth mice on both iMacs... :confused:

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
Also Apple STILL has not fixed their permissions DB for the following entries:

Code:
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/DVD.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/FRSettings.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/FRSources.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Movies.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Music.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Photos.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Podcasts.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/TV.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/BackRow.framework/Versions/A/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iLifeMediaBrowser.framework/Versions/A/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "Developer/Examples/JavaWebObjects/DataBaseSetUp/dbdump.sh", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rwxrwxr-x .
Permissions differ on "Developer/Examples/JavaWebObjects/DatabaseSetup/dbdump.sh", should be -rwxrwxr-x , they are -rw-rw-r-- .

Which they messed up in their last update. I thought for sure they would be fixing these in the next update... yet here they are - still unfixed. :(

Eric S.

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Santa Cruz Mountains, California
It's seems to me this poll is misnamed. "To 10.5.7 or not to 10.5.7?" is a question you should ask yourself before upgrading, not after. ;)

But I do appreciate seeing the results, because usually most people who have no problems are never heard from in the normal threads. But why is it either "install went fine" or "major problems"? What about "minor problems"?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.